Why real muay thai translates so well to MMA, why American muay thai doesnt

After reading all this about what's allowed in Muay Thai matches around the world, I think I won't bother going pro now.

In real Thai boxing you can scoop and slam your opponent in fact you can even hip toss your opponent in most cases...elbows of course make an appearance

American rules kickboxing does not allow any of this stuff and Nerfs the sport in the United States

This whole thread is contradictive.

The title i agree with, but in your first post you go on and say that American rules kickboxing does not allow any of this stuff and Nerfs the sport in the United States.

So what you're really talking about Muay Thai in Thailand vs US above waist kickboxing?

This whole thread is contradictive.

The title i agree with, but in your first post you go on and say that American rules kickboxing does not allow any of this stuff and Nerfs the sport in the United States.

So what you're really talking about Muay Thai in Thailand vs US above waist kickboxing?

not just American above the waist long pants kickboxing but International MT as well

I'm talking about true MT from Thailand vs "anglicized" MT from USA and Europen especially

in true native MT you can e hip toss, back arch and even hit a decent lateral drop

so it in fact allows a full repertoire of Greco Roman type slams whereas the non native version of MT does not

American European and even Japanese MT did not accept a slam ko but old school stadium MT would count a guy out if he came out on the wrong end of a slam and couldn't get up

Last edited:
American European and even Japanese MT did not accept a slam ko but old school stadium MT would count a guy out if he came out on the wrong end of a slam and couldn't get up
If you fight in Yokkao in UK or Best of Siam in France or Top King world series in any country you can do pretty much the same stuff you do in Thailand.

If you fight in Yokkao in UK or Best of Siam in France or Top King world series in any country you can do pretty much the same stuff you do in Thailand.

I LOVED the greco roman throws in real muaythai as I was a wrestler 1st and discovered MT in Hawaii so it was not anglosised

No slams no holding head knees no elbows is ok but will NEVER be as good for MMA as true stadium MT

Real Muay Thai fighters know how to throw a proper round kick.
American MT has dog shit kicks.
I’ve noticed most westerners/non~Thais have poor mid-kicks when compared to the Thais. I remember Baukaw tearing up K1 with his front switch kick when he burst on the scene.

Back