Will Cigarettes in America ever be phased out?

Rhood

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
With indoor smoking bans and outdoor smoking bans standing feet away from buildings, it seems like smoking ciggs in public is more of an embarrassment.
Younger folks (generation z) are more into vaping and most likely never touched a cigg in their life before.
Then you have weed smokers & cigar smokers that are absolutely disgusted by how nasty cigarettes are.

After the baby boomer generation passes away, will the allure & glam of cigarettes completely phase out in the future?

I know tons of mid to early 20-year-olds addicted to smoking they don't GAF. That stuff is staying.

If it does go away, it should go away because that’s what the consumer decided, not because the government mandated it out of existence.

I don’t smoke and think it’s retarded, but the way the government has gone after the tobacco companies while leaving alcohol companies alone is shameful.

Only if they start charging more for them than they already do. They've hit the ceiling of how much people would probably be willing to pay for them.

Surprised smoking tobacco hasn't been cancelled yet due to it being cultural appropriation.

I don't know if it will completely phase out. But it's certainly not as popular or cool to smoke as it once was.

I tried smoking a long time ago. They raised the price and I stopped. It was really that simple for me. I actually don't like it. I was doing it socially.

If it does go away, it should go away because that’s what the consumer decided, not because the government mandated it out of existence.

I don’t smoke and think it’s retarded, but the way the government has gone after the tobacco companies while leaving alcohol companies alone is shameful.
I agree that some overkill crusade against tobacco took place, but alcohol is good in moderation AND doesn t harm other directly.

I don’t think so. But I can see people mostly vaping for convenience and technology advances in the future

I agree that some overkill crusade against tobacco took place, but alcohol is good in moderation AND doesn t harm other directly.
Idk drunk driving and second hand smoke is all bad. Plus alcohol effects inhibitions and causes more accidents and fights and violence and stuff

It depends on what you’re talking about, but in general the health benefits of alcohol are negligible.

The myth that breathing second hand smoke is deadlier than smoking and that second hand smoke causes cancer was disproven years ago in large scale studies, but the myth persists because of how hard the federal government and their lackeys in the education system came at the tobacco companies.

I don’t say this as a fan of cigarettes, alcohol, marijuana, or any other drug. I think they’re all stupid and anyone who uses them is stupid. I say this as a critic of big government and government overreach. The best thing they can do is STFU and mind their own business.

Let people and businesses decide on their own how they want to deal with the issue and stay out of it.

Most of the young new starters at my work smoke.

Don't see the appeal, personally.

Idk drunk driving and second hand smoke is all bad. Plus alcohol effects inhibitions and causes more accidents and fights and violence and stuff
In societies with a reasonable drinking culture, these are no problem anymore. What you are mentioning happens in poor societies like Russia where people getting shitfaced is some people s only joy or, decadent places like USA where parents don t raise their children properly.

When they phase out profitability…

It's a heavily taxed good that is addictive.

So, you get people addicted to the tax.

Why would government remove this from the marketplace?

It's still pretty popular in my area. There's a lot of times I'll be the only non smoker in a group

It depends on what you’re talking about, but in general the health benefits of alcohol are negligible.

The myth that breathing second hand smoke is deadlier than smoking and that second hand smoke causes cancer was disproven years ago in large scale studies, but the myth persists because of how hard the federal government and their lackeys in the education system came at the tobacco companies.

I don’t say this as a fan of cigarettes, alcohol, marijuana, or any other drug. I think they’re all stupid and anyone who uses them is stupid. I say this as a critic of big government and government overreach. The best thing they can do is STFU and mind their own business.

Let people and businesses decide on their own how they want to deal with the issue and stay out of it.

Notice how you're saying that second hand smoke is not deadlier than smoking. That's a very careful, circumscribed argument. It's not of practical importance whether it's deadlier or not: smoking is already very deadly. It could be equally as deadly or slightly less deadly and remain a massive problem. The way you word your argument implies that if smoking was as equally deadly to the health of others as the smoker, that would be fine. It's not fine. We're not all trainwrecks destroying our bodies and content dying at 50. I've lived in apartment buildings that had smokers in the past and it was miserable, waking up with headaches and a sore throat some days through no decision of my own because some degenerate couldn't be bothered opening a window or stepping outside.

Back