Will I be a hypocrite if I carry when I move to Arizona?

sweetviolenturg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As someone with many years of training in the martial arts & having made my living as a pro boxer, I've always prided myself on my ability to handle myself in physical confrontations. And, as a result, I've never felt it necessary to carry a weapon. That is until I went to a Mike Kanarek seminar in his Haganah combatives system & I discovered the logic behind carrying a knife. So, I began carrying a Kershaw & I figured that it would be as far as I'd ever go.
I'd have never dreamed of going through the costly process of getting a permit to carry here in New York. Hell, I don't even so much as own a shotgun for home defense here. Which, in retrospect, to my way of thinking now was probably foolish of me.
But, now that I'll be living in Arizona in two short weeks where I've promised my father in law that I'd keep my own handgun in the house ( on top of my wife's .38 ) I'm beginning to wonder if ( after the proper amount of training, of course ) I should carry as well. My wife plans on carrying like she always has when legally allowed to. Is that enough though? Would it be overkill for both of us to be armed?
I mean, we're going to be living in Sedona which is a very safe city. But, we do plan on traveling around quite a bit to other areas of the state.
I suppose it couldn't help to be prepared even though my younger self would be shocked & appalled at myself. But, then, maybe I'm just being older & wiser by considering carrying.
What do you gentlemen think?

I look at it this way, can you make timely accurate decisions under stress with a weapon? Of course as a professional you understand that type of mindset, or what is required to reach that level of training. At the end of the day I carry because I am confident I can make the right decision, which could help people. A lot of assholes got guns. It's always good when smart capable people carry. But it's a duty I believe when you pull that firearm out you better have made the right call.

I wouldn't judge you for a second bro. Whichever way you go on your decision.

I've got two stories for you...

"You can know every martial art... You can have a Black Belt in any style.. But if a man meets you in the street and goes like THIS! (makes a gun with his fingers), it's all over baby..."

- Bruce Lee

"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

- True Romance

Not at all.

I'd again recommend getting training and taking a ccw class. It goes over laws, scenarios, etc.

Only carry when you feel competent and confident in doing so.

As unlikely as an encounter is you never know what might happen. Nothing wrong with being prepared.

Lol, if you feel that you have to carry a gun all the time to feel “safe” there is only one thing you should do..

<seedat>

MOVE THE FUCK AWAY FROM THAT PLACE!!!!

Lol, if you feel that you have to carry a gun all the time to feel “safe” there is only one thing you should do..

<seedat>

He already stated that Sedona is a very safe area and I doubt he would feel unsafe without a firearm at all.

It's not about feeling "safe" it's being prepared in case the unlikely happens. Most people that are involved in attacks probably felt safe until the attack happened.

Also as a fyi anti gun posting is not allowed in this sub forum.

<seedat>

When did I say anything about "feeling unsafe"?
I'm not trying to sound like a badass but I'm coming from the most unsafe city per capita in the state of New York. The chances of being involved in a violent crime in downtown Niagara Falls are 1 in 17 on any given night. And, I've survived here for 7 years unscathed.
But, I'm moving to a new state where there are a lot more armed people & while I don't ever expect to get into an unpleasant encounter with one as I'm not a confrontational individual but shit happens. It would be just my luck to go from a ridiculously high crime area to one of the safest places in the nation & wind up in a situation.
And, as I said, we plan on traveling the state quite a bit. Not to mention hiking in areas that have wild animals that I've never been around before. None of whom are likely to be aggressive but, who knows? Again, shit happens.

Not a hypocrite man....why not take a defensive handgun course, shoot some with your father in law, get your permit. Whether you decide to actually carry or not....worry about that later. You will have fun and learn a lot in the process.

When did I say anything about "feeling unsafe"?
I'm not trying to sound like a badass but I'm coming from the most unsafe city per capita in the state of New York. The chances of being involved in a violent crime in downtown Niagara Falls are 1 in 17 on any given night. And, I've survived here for 7 years unscathed.
But, I'm moving to a new state where there are a lot more armed people & while I don't ever expect to get into an unpleasant encounter with one as I'm not a confrontational individual but shit happens. It would be just my luck to go from a ridiculously high crime area to one of the safest places in the nation & wind up in a situation.
And, as I said, we plan on traveling the state quite a bit. Not to mention hiking in areas that have wild animals that I've never been around before. None of whom are likely to be aggressive but, who knows? Again, shit happens.
Don't pay that dude any time he's a European who has been pretty forward that he dislikes Americans and our gun laws.

Why would you give a shit whether others think your a hypocrite or not?

Not a hypocrite man....why not take a defensive handgun course, shoot some with your father in law, get your permit. Whether you decide to actually carry or not....worry about that later. You will have fun and learn a lot in the process.

That's something that I definitely plan on doing. Thanks. :)

Nothing in the OP implies that you would be a hypocrite for carrying. The only way it would be hypocritical is if you talk shit on people for carrying/owning guns, which seems unlikely since your wife does it.

Most self defense experts and martial artists agree that the best forms of training you can do to defend yourself from crime are sprinting and practicing drawing your weapon. I think it makes sense to carry no matter how badass you are.

Why would you give a shit whether others think your a hypocrite or not?

Why would you give a shit whether I give a shit? ;)
Seriously though, it's more of an internal thing rather than me being concerned about what others think. It's a matter of my attitude about guns, specifically handguns, having undergone a rather dramatic change over the past few years.
As I said earlier, I used to be rather disdainful of those that felt the need to carry a gun. Frankly, I was a bit of an asshole about it. But, now, as I've gotten a bit older & I've spoken with my father in law about it as well as my best friend who recently got his permit to carry after relocating to Kentucky, I'm seeing things in a different light. And, as a result, I've shocked myself in the process.
The truth is, you gentlemen wouldn't have liked me very much not all that long ago. But, since I've begun venturing in here you've all been great to me despite my total naivete & I appreciate it.

Why would you give a shit whether I give a shit? ;)
Seriously though, it's more of an internal thing rather than me being concerned about what others think. It's a matter of my attitude about guns, specifically handguns, having undergone a rather dramatic change over the past few years.
As I said earlier, I used to be rather disdainful of those that felt the need to carry a gun. Frankly, I was a bit of an asshole about it. But, now, as I've gotten a bit older & I've spoken with my father in law about it as well as my best friend who recently got his permit to carry after relocating to Kentucky, I'm seeing things in a different light. And, as a result, I've shocked myself in the process.
The truth is, you gentlemen wouldn't have liked me very much not all that long ago. But, since I've begun venturing in here you've all been great to me despite my total naivete & I appreciate it.
That wasn’t a dig and I apologize if I came off that way.
Changing your viewpoint doesn’t make you a hypocrite. It means you’re capable of critical thought and not married enough to ideas where you’re unwilling to change your opinion.
I also was very anti gun as a teenager, when I assumed I had it all figured out by then. My opinion changed when I got in a heated debate with my gf (now wife) about gun rights. I decided stupidly i would show her she was wrong by googling and rapidly educating myself on gun rights/violence statistics/etc. I ended up down a month long rabbit hole of reading everything I could around the subject, to finally come to the conclusion I had no idea what I was talking about, and my opinion was based on what I thought was “common sense”, not reality. I bought my first gun a month later, joined my state gun rights organization, ended up down the firearms rabbit hole and now I’m balls deep doing shooting competitions on a regular basis.
Hypocrite or not, you’re ending up on the correct side of this issue.

That wasn’t a dig and I apologize if I came off that way.
Changing your viewpoint doesn’t make you a hypocrite. It means you’re capable of critical thought and not married enough to ideas where you’re unwilling to change your opinion.
I also was very anti gun as a teenager, when I assumed I had it all figured out by then. My opinion changed when I got in a heated debate with my gf (now wife) about gun rights. I decided stupidly i would show her she was wrong by googling and rapidly educating myself on gun rights/violence statistics/etc. I ended up down a month long rabbit hole of reading everything I could around the subject, to finally come to the conclusion I had no idea what I was talking about, and my opinion was based on what I thought was “common sense”, not reality. I bought my first gun a month later, joined my state gun rights organization, ended up down the firearms rabbit hole and now I’m balls deep doing shooting competitions on a regular basis.
Hypocrite or not, you’re ending up on the correct side of this issue.

Oh, no worries whatsoever, bro. I didn't take it as a dig at all.
And yes, I like to think of myself as being fluid about things. If pride myself on always continuing to educate myself & keeping an open mind.
And, who knows, maybe I just don't want my wife to ever be put into the position of being our protector. Therefore, I want to be at least as well armed as she is. Honestly though, according to her father, she's a badass with a gun. I'll very likely never be that good. Apparently, she is an excellent shot & has fired everything up to her dad's Desert Eagle. A gun that frankly the idea of firing scares the hell out of me. LOL.
When you underwent your epiphany about guns did you have to get a permit or do you live in a state like Arizona that doesn't require them? What sort of gun did you buy? Does your wife carry as well?

Honestly though, according to her father, she's a badass with a gun. I'll very likely never be that good. Apparently, she is an excellent shot & has fired everything up to her dad's Desert Eagle.

If you take 2-3 classes, practicing what is taught through dry firing and live fire of around 500-1k rounds in between each class you will probably be a better defensive shooter than 95% of shooters.

Most people put a couple hundred rounds down range every year and don't have much if any formal training.

If you take 2-3 classes, practicing what is taught through dry firing and live fire of around 500-1k rounds in between each class you will probably be a better defensive shooter than 95% of shooters.

Most people put a couple hundred rounds down range every year and don't have much if any formal training.
Really? I'll definitely have to look into that then. Thanks for the heads up.

Really? I'll definitely have to look into that then. Thanks for the heads up.
Take a couple of basic firearms safety classes. Getting the safety fundamentals down is the most critical starting out, once you have that stuff down pat you’re good to start having fun with it. Then I’d recommend joining a local gun club. For me the real fun started with pistol competitions (steel challenge, IDPA, USPSA) as shooting at stationary paper targets gets old pretty fast. Those are an absolute blast, and it helps when your father in law has a small arsenal of guns you can run.

As someone with many years of training in the martial arts & having made my living as a pro boxer, I've always prided myself on my ability to handle myself in physical confrontations. And, as a result, I've never felt it necessary to carry a weapon. That is until I went to a Mike Kanarek seminar in his Haganah combatives system & I discovered the logic behind carrying a knife. So, I began carrying a Kershaw & I figured that it would be as far as I'd ever go.
I'd have never dreamed of going through the costly process of getting a permit to carry here in New York. Hell, I don't even so much as own a shotgun for home defense here. Which, in retrospect, to my way of thinking now was probably foolish of me.
But, now that I'll be living in Arizona in two short weeks where I've promised my father in law that I'd keep my own handgun in the house ( on top of my wife's .38 ) I'm beginning to wonder if ( after the proper amount of training, of course ) I should carry as well. My wife plans on carrying like she always has when legally allowed to. Is that enough though? Would it be overkill for both of us to be armed?
I mean, we're going to be living in Sedona which is a very safe city. But, we do plan on traveling around quite a bit to other areas of the state.
I suppose it couldn't help to be prepared even though my younger self would be shocked & appalled at myself. But, then, maybe I'm just being older & wiser by considering carrying.
What do you gentlemen think?
If you run into someone with a gun you will wish you had one. Better safe than dead.

You might even run into someone hurting innocent people or your wife. You don't want to have to live with a regret like that.

Back