Will I be a hypocrite if I carry when I move to Arizona?

Take a couple of basic firearms safety classes. Getting the safety fundamentals down is the most critical starting out, once you have that stuff down pat you’re good to start having fun with it. Then I’d recommend joining a local gun club. For me the real fun started with pistol competitions (steel challenge, IDPA, USPSA) as shooting at stationary paper targets gets old pretty fast. Those are an absolute blast, and it helps when your father in law has a small arsenal of guns you can run.

Thanks, I plan to. Even though my father in law is going to thoroughly show me the ropes, I figure it can't hurt to double down on safety.
As for the competitions, who knows? We'll see how I do with the basics & how much I take to shooting. But, I wouldn't rule them out.
Peace.

If you run into someone with a gun you will wish you had one. Better safe than dead.

You might even run into someone hurting innocent people or your wife. You don't want to have to live with a regret like that.

Hell, no. Plus the idea of living in a development in a semi-remote area three miles out of town after living in the city all my life somehow concerns me. Help won't be nearly as quick to arrive like in the city. So, even though statistically the city ( especially, Niagara Falls ) is much more unsafe, I know that I'll feel better in Arizona knowing how to handle gun & having one available to me to use if necessary.

Hell, no. Plus the idea of living in a development in a semi-remote area three miles out of town after living in the city all my life somehow concerns me. Help won't be nearly as quick to arrive like in the city. So, even though statistically the city ( especially, Niagara Falls ) is much more unsafe, I know that I'll feel better in Arizona knowing how to handle gun & having one available to me to use if necessary.

When seconds count police are minutes away. Regardless of how unlikely something is there is nothing wrong with wanting to be prepared.

Spot on, man. I've definitely come around to your way of thinking. Thanks, man.

I've enjoyed reading your journey, and others, in this thread concerning firearms. It's encouraging that not everyone is close minded about such issues.
I have a inclination that your the kind of person that will go all in and make rapid progress on this new endeavor while having a "blast".
For one thing having a boxing background gives a person the advantage of already having developed hand eye cordination and speed that not everyone has. Also tactics and a understanding that how you train is how you fight not to mention controlled aggression being part of ones life. :)

It's awesome you'll be shooting with your wife, the afterglow can be fantastic.

I've enjoyed reading your journey, and others, in this thread concerning firearms. It's encouraging that not everyone is close minded about such issues.
I have a inclination that your the kind of person that will go all in and make rapid progress on this new endeavor while having a "blast".
For one thing having a boxing background gives a person the advantage of already having developed hand eye cordination and speed that not everyone has. Also tactics and a understanding that how you train is how you fight not to mention controlled aggression being part of ones life. :)

It's awesome you'll be shooting with your wife, the afterglow can be fantastic.

Thanks, man, that's very much appreciated. I'm glad that you've been enjoying my journey. Stay tuned as I'll be sure to keep everyone abreast of my progress. It hadn't occurred to me that my instincts as a fighter would translate to firearms training but what you say makes total sense.
As for the benefits that I might reap in the aftermath of shooting with my wife, that's definitely good news. I look forward to them. ;)

I live in Salt Lake City now but still carry a firearm when I can (haven’t had time to take the CCW class and get all that taken care of) because where I lived in WA any emergency service was at least 15-20 minutes away at their fastest.

Not at all. Find a good CCW class, even though AZ is a constitutional carry state.

Find a good CCW gun you can carry comfortably year round.

Train, at least monthly.

Carry regularly.

As someone with many years of training in the martial arts & having made my living as a pro boxer, I've always prided myself on my ability to handle myself in physical confrontations. And, as a result, I've never felt it necessary to carry a weapon. That is until I went to a Mike Kanarek seminar in his Haganah combatives system & I discovered the logic behind carrying a knife. So, I began carrying a Kershaw & I figured that it would be as far as I'd ever go.
I'd have never dreamed of going through the costly process of getting a permit to carry here in New York. Hell, I don't even so much as own a shotgun for home defense here. Which, in retrospect, to my way of thinking now was probably foolish of me.
But, now that I'll be living in Arizona in two short weeks where I've promised my father in law that I'd keep my own handgun in the house ( on top of my wife's .38 ) I'm beginning to wonder if ( after the proper amount of training, of course ) I should carry as well. My wife plans on carrying like she always has when legally allowed to. Is that enough though? Would it be overkill for both of us to be armed?
I mean, we're going to be living in Sedona which is a very safe city. But, we do plan on traveling around quite a bit to other areas of the state.
I suppose it couldn't help to be prepared even though my younger self would be shocked & appalled at myself. But, then, maybe I'm just being older & wiser by considering carrying.
What do you gentlemen think?

I believe rob leatham teaches out of Arizona.
If he's not too far and doesn't charge an arm ad a leg, go take his class

https://robleatham.com/2019-calendar/

Or watch a bunch of his vids.

Or maybe chuck taylor or Clint Smith.

No do you thing man. Never know who you will run across

Back