Wilt Chamberlain claimed to have a 600lb bench

It's possible.

Lol. Absolutely not. I know everyone has already addressed this, but just adding:

Chamberlain was born in 1936. His prime for setting PRs must've been somewhere between 1960 and 1980 (being generous). The world record for the bench press in the 70s and 80s floated between 580lbs and 660lbs, by some of the strongest guys ever, like Kazmaier; who also squatted and deadlifted 800+ raw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progression_of_the_bench_press_world_record

So, a basketball player probably wasn't benching world record numbers in some basement with no witnesses or cameras, come on haha. It would be like Jordan saying he ran 100m in less than 10 seconds but no one saw it.

Congrats on the 440 by the way, that is impressive.

Last edited:
Lol. Absolutely not. I know everyone has already addressed this, but just adding:

Chamberlain was born in 1936. His prime for setting PRs must've been somewhere between 1960 and 1980 (being generous). The world record for the bench press in the 70s and 80s floated between 580lbs and 660lbs, by some of the strongest guys ever, like Kazmaier; who also squatted and deadlifted 800+ raw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progression_of_the_bench_press_world_record

So no, a basketball player wasn't benching world record numbers in some basement with no witnesses or cameras, come on haha. It would be like Jordan saying he ran 100m in less than 10 seconds but no one saw it.

Congrats on the 440, by the way, that's impressive.

Yeah to add on to this, and everything said...

I understand there's this mindset to not limit yourself and set some psychological ceiling. That's probably why some people would call someone a pussy for thinking 315 isn't achievable by everyone, or most, even for a single. But honestly, I don't think it is. (it definitely isn't for small end males)

And my point here is I think there's a huge anatomical component to benching. And Wilt falls right into it, which is why this is comical. Someone like Kevin Durant, obviously elite genetics and world class athlete. A 2nd overall pick only to Greg Oden, he wasn't just some skills player here, he's an all-time great.

He couldn't bench 185 for 1 single fucking rep at the NBA combine. It was sort of a meme before memes.

He will never be able to bench 315 in his life I'd imagine. Maybe if he went on gear and bulked a ton and devoted his time to it. Sure, even then he'd probably achieve it at a BW of like 270-300lbs. It would be like a 1.2x BW lift at best.

I think another example of this is Jon Jones. Someone who actually did get into powerlifting for a year or so, dedicated himself to it, and was on steroids/PEDs. His best bench was like 275 to 345 for a single? Forget exactly. But seems like he probably could never hit 315x6, despite not being natural, despite having amazing athletic genetics, despite being much bigger than the average human at ~230-240lbs lean-ish, albeit his arms are long and anatomically he's not built to have a great bench.

So to link this to the other discussion - essentially the bell curve/plateau of average males and below would have to have a 2x-3x BW (or more for small people) max, to hope to rep 315 for 6. And the "drug tested" raw USPA national champion at 198lbs has a 2.19x BW bench, on drugs. So yeah lol

So this is beating a dead horse and huge tangent, but yeah idk. On one hand, some people are pussies and have low standards. On the other hand, some people have unrealistic expectations for what the average person can do. On the third hand, some people believe Wilt Chamberlain can bench 600lbs.

Last edited:
The only type of people who believe this are the same people that believe Bruce Lee would beat every 125-145lber in the UFC and could kill a man in one punch.

The same people who think every athlete is clean and not using steroids.
Which is sadly most people to be honest. I've had this discussion with people who are basketball fans but dont lift and actually believe that wilt had a 600 lb bench press. I tell them that there's no way in hell that wilt was even stronger than guys like shaq and Ben wallace who themselves couldn't lift anywhere near that weight.

Yeah to add on to this, and everything said...

I understand there's this mindset to not limit yourself and set some psychological ceiling. That's probably why some people would call someone a pussy for thinking 315 isn't achievable by everyone, or most, even for a single. But honestly, I don't think it is. (it definitely isn't for small end males)

And my point here is I think there's a huge anatomical component to benching. And Wilt falls right into it, which is why this is comical. Someone like Kevin Durant, obviously elite genetics and world class athlete. A 2nd overall pick only to Greg Oden, he wasn't just some skills player here, he's an all-time great.

He couldn't bench 185 for 1 single fucking rep at the NBA combine. It was sort of a meme before memes.

He will never be able to bench 315 in his life I'd imagine. Maybe if he went on gear and bulked a ton and devoted his time to it. Sure, even then he'd probably achieve it at a BW of like 270-300lbs. It would be like a 1.2x BW lift at best.

I think another example of this is Jon Jones. Someone who actually did get into powerlifting for a year or so, dedicated himself to it, and was on steroids/PEDs. His best bench was like 275 to 345 for a single? Forget exactly. But seems like he probably could never hit 315x6, despite not being natural, despite having amazing athletic genetics, despite being much bigger than the average human at ~230-240lbs lean-ish, albeit his arms are long and anatomically he's not built to have a great bench.

So to link this to the other discussion - essentially the bell curve/plateau of average males and below would have to have a 2x-3x BW (or more for small people) max, to hope to rep 315 for 6. And the "drug tested" raw USPA national champion at 198lbs has a 2.19x BW bench, on drugs. So yeah lol

So this is beating a dead horse and huge tangent, but yeah idk. On one hand, some people are pussies and have low standards. On the other hand, some people have unrealistic expectations for what the average person can do. On the third hand, some people believe Wilt Chamberlain can bench 600lbs.

I think it's hard to say much about what people's potential is without hard data, and I'm not sure whether that data exists or is even possible to gather on principle. There's also too many factors, are we talking with or without PEDs, with or without weight gain, how much weight gain, what kind of programming, how many years of training, are they purely bench focused? Etc. I think a 1RM of upper 200's to lower 300's is attainable with no PEDs for a large amount of males with proper training and nutrition for a few years, that's as much as I'd feel comfortable saying.

It's true that Chamberlain at 7'1" 300lbs wasn't the ideal body type. Sarychev is 6'6", but he was like 350-375lbs, built like a fucking tank.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's very productive to think about it, because no one knows their ceiling until they go ahead and try to train the lifts. Ultimately, I think it's better to not worry about it and err on the side of being confident about your goals. I feel it has less potential to hold you back, compared to the opposite, as long as you don't do crazy stuff and get injured. No need to be delusional either, but I just wouldn't think much about it, just setting realistic goals step by step.

This thread is now about Tank Abbot's 600lb bench:

Also 500 for reps:

Last edited:
A lot of folks talk about Wilt being one of the top physical freaks of all time in a league full of physical freaks. 7’ tall, big vert, strong as shit. Obviously there’s no way to prove he benched 600, so just for fun here’s old, out of shape, Charles Barkley throwing up 405 .

A lot of folks talk about Wilt being one of the top physical freaks of all time in a league full of physical freaks. 7’ tall, big vert, strong as shit. Obviously there’s no way to prove he benched 600, so just for fun here’s old, out of shape, Charles Barkley throwing up 405 .

Pretty crazy Barkley lifted 405 like that, if it's legit.

Have you seen some of these boomers lift? The vast majority of the time it's hilarious ego lifting. One of those boomers got mad at me when I was in the squat rack bc he said I was showing off. I don't give a shit what anyone thinks
what is the relevance of this?

anyways, with those arms, at best he was using a Universal like so many did in the day, and did half reps with someone standing on it, or whatever.

Or its just a straight up lie. He is simply not built to bench. If he could get a legit 3 plate bench with those long arms id say that he was very strong.

its fake if you watch the full clip

He'd fold like a cheap suit.

CompassionateGrossAmericanrobin-size_restricted.gif

Yeah I don't really like benching, it hurts my shoulders and I just don't care about it much. I was just doing pull ups tonight and my left rotator cuff/shoulder hurt, has been for weeks now. No idea what the fuck I did.

"I feel like most guys could bench 315x6 without steroids..."

This won't be a popular opinion here perhaps, but I don't think so. 315x6 = ~355-375 lb max. The average male is 197.9 lbs, that's counting obese people and fat fucks out there. The USPA "drug tested" 198 lb raw national bench record is 447.5 lbs.

So not to project, my bench is shit and I don't really care about the lift. But obviously guys using drugs (even if it says drug free, obviously they are) and devoting tons of time to improve their benches as powerlifters - and 447 is the record. I'm over analyzing that statement probably, but I just don't think so at all. I think people will average genetics will struggle to rep out 3 plates, unless they are specifically, anatomically built to bench well. So now we'd have to include a swathe of below average genetic people, and everyone is natty?

But I mean whatever really. Just over analyzing. Definitely achievable by many. I just don't think "most", naturally at least.

The average guy struggles to bench 275, hence the meme that it's beatable only by steroids. Obviously it's not and I do think the median male can bench teh 275 but 315 for 6 is a different story entirely.

As far as Wilt goes, he was definitely exceptionally strong, but 600lb bench at his dimensions just seems virtually impossible.

Just for shits and gigs...

SoreBoringAndeancockoftherock-size_restricted.gif
He really son’s Shaq there
Never thought I’d see that

I benched 345 without even programming right or nailing down form, so that's possible at least. Got to 415 without drugs but had to put on a lot of fat. Wilt may have hit 4 and change. 600 on a smith as a bro lift perhaps

I benched 345 without even programming right or nailing down form, so that's possible at least. Got to 415 without drugs but had to put on a lot of fat. Wilt may have hit 4 and change. 600 on a smith as a bro lift perhaps

345 is miles away from 600 though. Not shitting on your bench at all, 4 plates is way better than mine.

The question is, how much did you weigh for each lift + at what height/arm length/build?

Highly doubt Wilt ever hit 4 and change. Just because he was a famous basketball player (overrated at ball too imo), you very likely had a much better bench than Wilt ever had.

345 is miles away from 600 though. Not shitting on your bench at all, 4 plates is way better than mine.

The question is, how much did you weigh for each lift + at what height/arm length/build?

Highly doubt Wilt ever hit 4 and change. Just because he was a famous basketball player (overrated at ball too imo), you very likely had a much better bench than Wilt ever had.
I mean I was doing 350 for reps on a Smith machine so I could see where someone who didn't know any better maybe added the plate to that on each side. Then just add in some of the old thinking of only going to parallel with your elbows and not touching your chest and that could add another 50 pounds or so. Then tossing a bro lift in.... Or more likely he's full of s***

I'm more impressed that Conan did 510. Especially at a lanky 6'4", with no athletic background. Wonder how much he deadlifted?

;)

Back