Windy 12 Oz BGHV Bag Gloves

brucelee

The King of Nunchaku
@White
Reaction score
I am spending a few months in Bangkok, Thailand, every year. The main brands over there are Twins, Windy, Raja , Sandee and FBT. I got myself a pair of 12 Oz Windy gloves for daily bag workouts in boxing. I didn't do Muay Thai because most of the gyms had pretty worn out heavy bags, just punched the bag in a gym that I found that had some decent heavy bags (not so easy the find in Thailand). I used the gloves for around 9 or 10 months altogether, almost daily. I have them for 3 years or so and use them 3 months every year. The main reason why I bought them was the fit and the material.
The leather is really good - so is the craftsmanship of the gear. They use natural, old fashioned materials: Thick cowleather on the outside and strong linen inside. They are durable. Just the logo shows some scuffs. With the high temperatures and insane humidity in Bangkok the gloves are exposed to a lot more sweat than in the US or Europe. My gym didn't have an air conditioner, either. During rainy season the sun may not shine to put them on the balcony and dry them out. This increased the wear on the leather, but with zero maintenance, they still looked acceptable.
Anatomically, the gloves have a good fit. At the beginning they were a bit tight, but they widened a lot within a short period of time. Similar to other Muay Thai gloves they allow for wider hand movements and the thumb attachment is rather loose. The padding of the Windy gloves is not the strongest. It feels very thin and easy to break. More like a strong layer of cloth with a thinner layer of flexible foam on the inside. I wasn't pounding the bag that hard to be hurt and just went 3 to 5 rounds per day. I am sure I would have had some problems with my hands for longer workouts or punching a harder bag. I would never think about using them for sparring or as a fight glove. The padding is way to weak for that. But there is no warning on the glove about the fact that it is just a bag glove. From the outside it appears just like any other Muay Thai glove to me.

I bought them from the Bangkok gym for around 60 US$, that was slightly cheaper than the Twins I have seen elsewhere, but more expensive than Raja and FBT in Thailand.

I think the BGVH gloves are okay for people who are light puncher or purists who enjoy hard contact with the heavy bag. It's said to build up the the muscles around the wrist. I would not recommend them for hard punchers or harder heavy bags. They just don't offer enough padding for the knuckles. I would say Windys are not as good as Twins, but a lot better than Yokkao. But that's just my opinion. I am not the biggest fan of Thai brands and wouldn't buy either of them anymore.

windy1.jpg
windy2.jpg
windy3.jpg
windy4.jpg
windy5.jpg

thanks for the review, I bought a pair of the Windy Proline gloves once for a friend, they had great stitching and leather but I thought the padding over the knuckles seemed cheap

Back