Windy TG-5 16oz Initial Review

Taskmaster99

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hope everybody had a great holiday yesterday. I had a good time with family. Enough of that.........onto a package I received.

I ordered these gloves from Fight Gear. They were on sale for 49.99. Given the brand name I dont see how I could go wrong. Im guessing Fight Gear is kind of a closeout site of some sorts for Combat Sports/Ringside. Here is a link:

http://www.fightgear.com/

The Fed Ex guy just dropped these off this morning. Very excited since these are my first pair of Windy gloves. Now this is only an initial review. I will be using these very soon.

I ordered these in 16oz as I do with all my gloves. Im a pretty big guy with some slight knuckle issues so the more padding the better. I originally wanted these in black but that color was sold out so my only 2 choices left were pink and red. Went with red.

Here are my impressions after unboxing:

Looks
--------
The gloves came out of the bag and the smell of leather hit me in the face. Such a sweet smell. Upon inspecting the gloves....everything looked perfect!!!! The stitching was even and tight. The leather was very smooth and flawless. The red color is vibrant.

Fit
----
Wrapped a hand and put it into the glove. Snug fit but not too snug like my Top Kings. Very comfortable pocket and thumb which is a plus. Making a fist is simple especially with the grip bar but opening the hand is tough. Of course they are brand spanking new....so some break in time is sure to alleviate this.

Wrist
--------
The wrist strap has what appears to be super velcro. Very solid and sturdy. While I had the glove on....I tried moving my wrist around....solid. I dont see me having any worries about wrist problems with these gloves.

Padding
----------
The padding seems very dense. These are labeled as sparring gloves but I think I will be using these strictly for bag and pad work. Maybe the padding softens up after awhile....we will have to see....but right out of the box...I myself wouldnt spar with these.

All in all I am very happy with my purchase. As I said...this is my first pair of Windy gloves. I am excited to bring these to the gym next week and give them a workout. I dont foresee any problems with them as Windy is a very respected company. The price was also the nail in the coffin for purchasing these.

Here are a few pics for you all to enjoy. Thanks for reading this. Comments are always welcome and appreciated:

Badass dude!!!

50 Bucks for those is a great price.

Nice review as well. Let us know how they perform.

Last edited:
They look gooood!

Have any experience with Fairtex BGV1? Could you make a comparison?

Solid buy, man. These are some of my favorite gloves--they can take a serious beating. The padding will probably not soften up. I've put over a year on mine and the padding is still dense--compact and protective, but dense. I have no idea what Windy uses for padding but it's some of the toughest I've come across; I've seen a 3 year-old pair that still work great. I have no idea why they're marketed as "sparring gloves" though. They're more like heavy hitters.

Those are beauties. I've got to say I'm generally not into thai style gloves but I really like the look of these ones. The colour looks great.

How do they compare to the Twins? Thanks!

I'm not sure if you want Task to answer this (it is his review) but I can offer my take. The hand compartment of the TG-5 is much bigger (wider most definitely) and the padding is the exact opposite of Twins. Where Twins are puffy, soft, and stuffed to the brim, these are dense, hard, and surprisingly compact . The TG-5 cuff is sturdy, well-padded and feels more secure than Twins' cuff--though the cuff can be a little wide and take some time to break in. Twins are a better sparring glove (forgiving padding, great for clinching), while these are great bag/pad gloves (dense yet compact and protective padding, beefier wrist support). Also, both gloves are about the same size from what I remember.

I have the 18oz tg-5s and they're quite wide, I'm wondering how the 16's fair.

^Excellent comparison!!! Thank you SuttenMac. Now as far as width.....These 16's dont seem much if any wider than some other thai 16's I own. Here are a few comparison pics:

Thank you very much for the comparison write, SuttenMac, and for the photo comparison, Taskmaster99!

^Excellent comparison!!! Thank you SuttenMac. Now as far as width.....These 16's dont seem much if any wider than some other thai 16's I own. Here are a few comparison pics:

Great comparison photos. Are those Top Kings 16's or smaller? I keep reading that Top Kings are huge, bigger than Twins even, but they don't look that bad by any measure. I'm honestly surprised that the Boons are about the same size as the other brands--they always seemed so much more compact. I guess it's all in the padding and cut.

@SuttenMac Those are Top King Super Airs and they are indeed 16 oz. I dont use them much anymore because the hand compartment is tight as hell.

Great comparison photos. Are those Top Kings 16's or smaller? I keep reading that Top Kings are huge, bigger than Twins even, but they don't look that bad by any measure. I'm honestly surprised that the Boons are about the same size as the other brands--they always seemed so much more compact. I guess it's all in the padding and cut.

I've always said that Top Kings are loooong (but not too wide), and like Taskmaster99 said, the hand compartment is tiny.

And yeah, I'm surprised about the Boon's too.

Finally got my hands on a scale to weigh these. They were just a hair over 15 oz. if anybody is interested. In fact none of my thai gloves hit the 16oz mark. Doesnt bother me...but I know people are sometimes curious.

Last edited:
Hey man thanks for the review but i had kind of an off topic question.. You mentioned fightgear.com and thats the second time ive come across that name. I went on it and they have the same yellow fairtex gloves that i paid 130 for for 60 bucks... Is this site really legit?!? Lol no seriously

Hey man thanks for the review but i had kind of an off topic question.. You mentioned fightgear.com and thats the second time ive come across that name. I went on it and they have the same yellow fairtex gloves that i paid 130 for for 60 bucks... Is this site really legit?!? Lol no seriously

Very legit!!!! They are the same company as Ringside and Combat Sports. As I stated before....I think this is their overstock site. You will have absolutely no problems when ordering from them.

Thanks bro i really appreciate it... I might just have to get those cletos for a 100 bucks now lol

They pretty awesome bro.. Well i can only compare them to the ring to cage MiM sparring gloves since those are the only 2 legit gloves ive owned but the yellow fairtex's fit and feel better... I weighed both and the fairtex's were exactly 16 oz and the ring to cage gloves weighed 18 oz... I was wondering why they felt heavier lol the ring to cage protect more but theyre also more dense. Theyre definitely worth the price brotha! Like i said i got mine off amazon for 130... So 60 is a steal for anything fairtex... Oh and the fairtex leather is better also than ring to cage

wow, never heard of this site before, but thank you! I see the 49.99 price but it changes to 79.99 in cart :(

Back