Winning fg-2900 review after 100 logged rounds.

I usually spar with Orlando Gonzales, wich is one of the best 112 pounders of Puerto Rico, with a record like 112 wins and 4 losses or something along those lines. So I really need that extra protection. I'm just not decided on either a winning or a reyes.

I currently use the FG5000 and have tried on a FG2900. I didn't get the chance to use the FG2900 since I was recovering from injuries, but I tried it on and noticed it's not the best at stopping nose strikes. If you can, get the FG5000 (ebay might take a while so buying from Winning might be better) and sell the FG2900 on ebay. The nose protection is amazing and hits are absorbed well. There isn't much chin protection and one of my boxing coaches at the UFC Gym thought my headgear was too small. I rarely get hit in the chin anyway and it's not really too much of a problem.

I haven't tried a Cleto Reyes yet, but if you do get that, make sure you know which model you are getting.

Correct, the 2900 won't protect that nose and lips from a straight right hand, it'll work against anything else just fine. Maybe even better then most facebars because of the excellent foam

Money in this particular (and very rare) case isn't a problem, with the holidays coming and other stuff, would you still recommend reyes facebar? How bulky is it, if you measure it? Is it difficult to slip punches? Does it feel heavy? Does it move a lot?
The newer and wider model of Cleto Reyes facebar gear looks and feels bulky, does not protect for shit.
I havent heard that people have had these same issues with the older model so i guess its as good as they say.

TS posted about Winning FG-2900 and i agree his thoughts on it even i havent had the chance to try mine for a long perioid of time.

I need to adjust my headgear more and get used to it so i can give feedback but so far it feels improvement to my old Fairtex headgear (Thank god).

On a side note, my head is 23.5 inches. I got a medium and I have to pull on the strings to where you can't pull no more. So if I get an fg 5000 I'm getting a medium (maybe getting it custom gold). Maybe because my face is narrower and I'm a 108 pounder.

I just heard back from grant, and they actually make a custom facebar headgear for $350; so when I get the cash I am going to get a full custom kit from Grant.

I just heard back from grant, and they actually make a custom facebar headgear for $350; so when I get the cash I am going to get a full custom kit from Grant.

Sweet! When do you plan to get the facebar? I'm very interested In one but I'm keeping my options open for now.

Sweet! When do you plan to get the facebar? I'm very interested In one but I'm keeping my options open for now.

I probably won't be able to place the order until May, the order will probly be around $900 + shipping.

I probably won't be able to place the order until May, the order will probly be around $900 + shipping.

Did you get an idea or a picture of what the headgear looks like? I've never seen one

Did you get an idea or a picture of what the headgear looks like? I've never seen one

Neither have I, I just sent an email to see if they make one or planned to ake one; I sent a reply to get pricing on a sparring kit, and the availible customization options. Most of the Mexican style facebars look the same from what I have seen, but when it gets closer to the time of order I will request a picture of one.

Last edited:
Neither have I, I just sent an email to see if they make one or planned to ake one; I sent a reply to get pricing on a sparring kit, and the availible customization options. Most of the Mexican style facebars look the same from what I have see, but when it gets closer to the time of order I will request a picture of one.

I know grant does designs. Do you have an idea if winning does artwork as well? I think I have seen the miguel cotto promotions logo on his winning glove.

I've just had this crazy idea of having like teeth or fangs across the facebar or something like that.

I dont think the Mexican ones all look the same. Seems as much variety as there is in general with facesavers.

406258_183608568404555_1766967789_n.jpg

caretablanca2.jpg

1_211.jpgir_310_293_1_211.jpg

1_172.gifir_310_293_1_172.gif

Why are you picking Grant over Winning?

I know grant does designs. Do you have an idea if winning does artwork as well? I think I have seen the miguel cotto promotions logo on his winning glove.

I've just had this crazy idea of having like teeth or fangs across the facebar or something like that.

I have just seen names either printed or embroidered, no actual designs. For something like that, I don't think winning would do, Grant is more likely. I plan to get Smokin' and Canelo on either glove and either side of the groin protector to pay homage to two of my favourite boxers, or El Grande Canelo since I am a big redhead.

I have just seen names either printed or embroidered, no actual designs. For something like that, I don't think winning would do, Grant is more likely. I plan to get Smokin' and Canelo on either glove and either side of the groin protector to pay homage to two of my favourite boxers, or El Grande Canelo since I am a big redhead.

Yeah, why are you picking grant over winning? Any particular reason?

I dont think the Mexican ones all look the same. Seems as much variety as there is in general with facesavers.

406258_183608568404555_1766967789_n.jpg

caretablanca2.jpg

1_211.jpgir_310_293_1_211.jpg

1_172.gifir_310_293_1_172.gif

Why are you picking Grant over Winning?

To me, the JC looks like Reyes traditional, and the Zepol looks like the Reyes redesigned.

As for why Grant over winning, there are 2 reasons: 1) I prefer Mexican gear. 2) Price; for a custom FG5000 I am looking at $736 + shipping, just for the headgear.

Last edited:
Just emailed grant to get pictures and sizing, along with prices and also asking if they can make my facebar headgear look like a face, with teeth along the bar and eyes on the top of the headgear

You reminded me of this photo of a painted Ring To Cage headgear:

551069_4395245639727_750197733_n.jpg

Just emailed grant to get pictures and sizing, along with prices and also asking if they can make my facebar headgear look like a face, with teeth along the bar and eyes on the top of the headgear

You reminded me of this photo of a painted Ring To Cage headgear:

551069_4395245639727_750197733_n.jpg

Wooaahh, looks sick. I didn't know there was already somebody with that style headgear. It looks good, something different and confusing for sparring partners. Thanks for that picture now I have a better idea of what it would look like.

I don't know how good that R2C facesaver headgear is, but it doesn't look like it covers the nose.

That'd cost you $1200. :icon_lol:

That'd cost you $1200. :icon_lol:

Wwwhhhhaaaattt. Are you joking man? What the fuck is grant smoking. Damn. That's beyond outrageous, how do they expect anybody to pay $1,200 for a headgear. That's just sad, it probably costs $200-$300 to make, I would only pay $1,200 for a headgear if it was made out of solid gold.

Back