Winning Velcro 16oz Gloves with pics

You can use the same Winning model of gloves for sparring and bag (assuming they are 16 or 14oz depending on your weight), as long as you keep separate pairs for each activity. They are great gloves all around. I have been buying many gloves and never came across something that is so protective and yet light, given that most 16ozers actually weigh a lot more than that.

You can use the same Winning model of gloves for sparring and bag (assuming they are 16 or 14oz depending on your weight), as long as you keep separate pairs for each activity. They are great gloves all around. I have been buying many gloves and never came across something that is so protective and yet light, given that most 16ozers actually weigh a lot more than that.
Can i have one pair of winning for everything? Bag and sparring?

Can i have one pair of winning for everything? Bag and sparring?

Hmm. I would not advise you to have one pair for both, but I am talking from experience with other gloves. Not sure whether Winnings would be an exception to that.

Anyone care to chime in?

Hmm. I would not advise you to have one pair for both, but I am talking from experience with other gloves. Not sure whether Winnings would be an exception to that.

Anyone care to chime in?

This is actually what I meant by "Why so?". Winning gloves have nothing in common in terms of padding with other gloves, they can be easily used on everything because the Winning padding used on bag doesn

This is actually what I meant by "Why so?". Winning gloves have nothing in common in terms of padding with other gloves, they can be easily used on everything because the Winning padding used on bag doesn

You are asking two different things:

(1) Can Winning be used on the bags? Answer is YES. Many pros do.

(2) Can the SAME pair of Winning be used for bad AND sparring? I would say NO because bags take a toll on any gloves, but I have not used mine extensively on the bag, so I can't speak from experience.

Not quite so. I use my on bag quite much and can

The weak point of this glove as I see it, is the wrist support. Under the Velcro strap is a layer of padding, so they are plenty protective of the wrist, but even strapped up tight, they felt a bit roomy around the wrist area. This is always the risk with Velcro gloves however, so I wasn

it just seemed like you were defending the wrist support and saying people shouldnt complain because you can wrap up tight

Fair point. I reckon velcro in general isn't great, but then again I prefer lace-up most of the time.

The wrist support is about the same on the Winning as most velcro gloves I've used.

Considering the velcro gloves are actually more than lace ups, I would go with lace ups. Also, the velcro gloves look kinda crappy next to the lace up gloves.

progloves_01.jpg

baggloves_01.jpg

Hey I was just wondering...what is the difference between the soft-type and regular type training gloves? And which ones do the pro's use? I like the green ones pacquiao uses (adrien broner recently had some videos on fighthype where h was using them too).

Was also wondering why lace up is less expensive and whether lace up is better for bagwork and training? I've never had a lace up glove before and am curious as to the advantage of one because pro's seem to use lace up...Despite the convenience of velcro...

Also, does anyone know how/where on thr USA cite you can order custom colors? (I will be buying these gloves after my new rivals from december die out over the next 3 or so years and seeing as its a long term investment...Want to personalize them...)

Finally, I was just wondering once again...why people like Pacquaio and Broner use 10oz winning gloves instead of 12 or higher for bags and pads? Is 10oz in winnings still very protective ( i.e = to a 12 or 14 oz in a lesser brand) or is it just for speed, feeling light with your hands or because they want to feel the bag and make their knuckles "hurt" to build knuckle strength so they dont break their hand in a real fight?

For me, seeing as I don't spar (out of respect for my parents even though I am an adult) if 10oz is more than adequate for protection...as the pros make it seem than I will likely get those seeing as speed is my asset that I try to maximize and if I want a change I already would have 12 oz gloves of old to use if they're still up to the task...But these will likely be my main gloves...want to get it right when the opportunity presents itself...thanks.

The soft type gloves are artificial leather and more pillowy than Winning's regular lace-up gloves. The pros all seem to use Winning's normal lace-ups and not their soft-type gloves.

Lace-ups provide better wrist support. If you've got a patient trainer or someone else around to tie it for you whenever you hit the bags or spar then it's good, but for some people it can be a hassle. You can also get hook&loop converters which will add a velcro closure to lace-up gloves from Ringside, Title, RingToCage and CagesideMMA.

10oz vs. 12oz, you wont really notice much difference. Some people like added weight for conditioning purposes - Joe Calzaghe used to train with 20oz - whilst others like smaller gloves to work their technique. Any Winning glove is going to provide more than enough protection for bagwork, including the 10oz model.

Hi again, also wanted to know...with price considered..are grant training gloves (which are less expensive) equally as good "price for price" as the winnings? And could I get away with a 10oz in those? Thanks...

Dollar for dollar, Grant isn't the best high end value. Take a look at the Mexican Boxing Equipment thread for some insight on other Mexican style alternative that are up there with Reyes and Grants.

For THE best value, R2C mims and Ringside IMF's are high regarded as the best value under 100. If you have your heart set on Winnings, take the plunge, I love mine =D.

Hi again, also wanted to know...with price considered..are grant training gloves (which are less expensive) equally as good "price for price" as the winnings? And could I get away with a 10oz in those? Thanks...

Grants are not worth the $$$. If you want real good priced custom mexican boxing gloves, msg technoir in this thread. Page nine has the details on the brands he can get you and you can browse through pictures of custom gloves to get an idea of what you want.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f67/mexican-boxing-equipment-2127705/

out of interest, will your parents be footing the bill?
No no, never! I'm not a the type who uses his parents for luxuries that are not necessities...add that to the fact that my parents would rather me look to other sports such as golf instead of the sweet science so they dont support my interest a whole lot. I also find you dont tend to appreciate material goods you dont buy yourself...so I'll be buying these gloves (probably will stick with my original winnings from feedback) with my own money maybe 3 years from now...i only got my rivals last year so they ideally should hold up until then...i hope.

@others who contributed: I will check out that link, thanks...and thanks for the heads up on grants quality...I see a lot of pros using them so i assumed it was because they were on par with winnings...i guess theyre only for show lol. Thanks again.

Edit: I also emailed grant boxing and they said to get custom gloves it is $350 dollars...thats more than winnings...not appealing at all after that fact....to get regular grants is $229 so really...not much cheaper as I had thought in comparison...grant also said the mayweathers and canelos on their websites train with 10oz gloves...and something well known is pacman wears 10oz in those green winning gloves...info for anyone else that was ever curious about that.

Last edited:
wait...$300 for gloves made of fake leather and with exposed velcro?!

Back