Wise to get some Cleto Reyes?

68ChevyMalibu

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I figured i would spend alittle more money and get some Cleto Reyes instead of Fairtex BVG9’s (plus these are hard to find in the US it seems). I’ve seen mixed reviews about quality of the Reyes, what are the general thoughts of the gloves? Quality wise

They will be 16oz training gloves.

Can the Reyes be used as a do it all training glove (bag and sparring)? Or will it wear out fast?

I’m a big guy 6ft3 230lbs

I had the Cleto Reyes 16 oz. with the Velcro strap and they were awesome for mitts work and for the heavy bag. However, they don't provide much wrist protection, but again I had the Velcro strap and not the laces. So depending on your wrist, you might not be able to get away by hitting the heavy bag all the time. Far as sparring goes, I don't recommend them unless your sparring light.

10xwy14.jpg

I figured i would spend alittle more money and get some Cleto Reyes instead of Fairtex BVG9’s (plus these are hard to find in the US it seems). I’ve seen mixed reviews about quality of the Reyes, what are the general thoughts of the gloves? Quality wise

Can the Reyes be used as a do it all training glove (bag and sparring)? Or will it wear out fast?

Just start putting some scratch away for a stock pair of Winning 16 or 18 oz ( because your a little guy ) . And thank me later.

<Goldie11> .

ok I have reyes 16oz lace ups for sparing and the Fairtex BVG9 for bag/pads. I love the reyes and have used them on pads a couple of times (not bag) but I think the Fairtex are better for that and seem like they would be more durable. You say they are hard to get in US just order some direct from Thailand, that's what I did nice and cheap inc the delivery

I had Cleto 14 and 16. I just was more comfortable with annother shape of the glove and the hand compartment in the 16s was a little too big for my hand so I sold them. The 14s were the velcro sparring model and they were a clear notch above bag gloves from Cleto (and much more expensive). Build quality was the best I have ever seen with a boxing glove. Just out of this world!

I had Cleto 14 and 16. I just was more comfortable with annother shape of the glove and the hand compartment in the 16s was a little too big for my hand so I sold them. The 14s were the velcro sparring model and they were a clear notch above bag gloves from Cleto (and much more expensive). Build quality was the best I have ever seen with a boxing glove. Just out of this world!
I didn't know there were cleto gloves for sparring. Can u show me?

just google "cleto reyes extra padding"
Should be noted that the extra padding is still the same stuff latex they use, just increased two a 2 inch height. I had a pair, but returned them because the weights were ridiculously off, like 16 ounces gloves weighing 18oz for one glove and 17oz for another. Didn't break them in so maybe they are slightly better for sparring, but Cleto Reyes can sometimes make your sparring sessions more aggressive. When I spar dudes with Cleto Reyes I go for blood, because I'm using Heatseekers which are very forgiving. I'm switching to death adder and top boxer alien for sparring

just google "cleto reyes extra padding"
There was a new guy at the gym who wore cleto reyes extra padding 14oz today and i had a chance to try them. They were heavier than my sabas proseries 16oz for sure.
Leather and padding they feel similar as to my sabas proseries 16oz, the leather stiffness, the padding density, same.
They have some uncomfortable presure points on my fingers. They fit tighter than my sabas.
I am glad i have sabas and didn't go for cleto reyes extra padding. Love my sabas.

I have a friend going to Mexico city next week I have asked him to pick me up a pair of 14oz I can use on bag and pads. I have had 16oz before but they were too hard for sparring and too big for pad and bags. Hoping he can get a pair and I will see what they are like vs the ringside (UK) I am mainly using at the moment. As much as I like lace up when I am doing classes they are not just practical which rules out an 2nd pair of winnings. If I don't get / get on with the cleto will go for some Topboxer Aliens (I might get some anyway)

I had a 16oz pair earlier, these were good gloves, lasted for 2 years. I was satisfied.

I'm switching to death adder and top boxer alien for sparring

Are those to fight fire with fire against the Cleto Reyes folks?

Considering Aliens for sparring cause I love my 12s but thought they may be too firm in comparison to Win1s and other sparring gloves. Want to avoid unnecessary heat if I can.

Are those to fight fire with fire against the Cleto Reyes folks?

Considering Aliens for sparring cause I love my 12s but thought they may be too firm in comparison to Win1s and other sparring gloves. Want to avoid unnecessary heat if I can.

I had to switch from a boxing gym to an MMA gym. For some reason MMA guys are totally dumbasses and I'm facing 190lbs dudes with 12 and 14oz gloves. At this point IDGAF if I'm the dickhead with "not nice" gloves. I'm 143lbs and have to be able to back a MF up if I need to.

I had to switch from a boxing gym to an MMA gym. For some reason MMA guys are totally dumbasses and I'm facing 190lbs dudes with 12 and 14oz gloves. At this point IDGAF if I'm the dickhead with "not nice" gloves. I'm 143lbs and have to be able to back a MF up if I need to.

Yeah, that's pretty dick move on their part. The 12oz Aliens are rock hard. Your fists are protected but even feeling them against my cheek they are unpleasant. They are compact tho so defense will need to be more precise.

Keep the bag glove different than your sparring glove and yes the bag will harden and compact or even lose padding (depending on the glove...Everlast Powerlocks can do this)....so you don't want to spar with bag gloves.

I have a friend going to Mexico city next week I have asked him to pick me up a pair of 14oz I can use on bag and pads. I have had 16oz before but they were too hard for sparring and too big for pad and bags. Hoping he can get a pair and I will see what they are like vs the ringside (UK) I am mainly using at the moment. As much as I like lace up when I am doing classes they are not just practical which rules out an 2nd pair of winnings. If I don't get / get on with the cleto will go for some Topboxer Aliens (I might get some anyway)
These arrived today and man I forgot how good the leather is on these.....cant wait to use them in the class tomorrow.

is it strong smelling ? i have fight gloves im only using focus mitt also velcro 14 oz im using all purpose but i dont recommend long heavy bag session you should different gloves long session on heavy bag

is it strong smelling ? i have fight gloves im only using focus mitt also velcro 14 oz im using all purpose but i dont recommend long heavy bag session you should different gloves long session on heavy bag
Yes smell is strong.....why don't you recommend for long bag sessions and what do you mean by long?

Yes smell is strong.....why don't you recommend for long bag sessions and what do you mean by long?
if you go boxing\muay thai/mma class 3-4 rounds heavy bag training isnt problem but you want to heavy bag 10 rounds or more you should use different gloves or you should buy extra paddding version because knuckle part is very thin

if you go boxing\muay thai/mma class 3-4 rounds heavy bag training isnt problem but you want to heavy bag 10 rounds or more you should use different gloves or you should buy extra paddding version because knuckle part is very thin
Interesting....I will see how I get on but I have NG2 knuckle guards I can use anyway.....and in a 45min bag session its not all power shots

Back