Multiplatform Official Next-gen WITCHER 3 Discussion

Sorry to say, but the 'high scored gameplay' isn't there. Its good, not great, and since 2015 and for the years to come it won't age well.

That said, the world, exploration, characters, story, quests, upgrading, and expansions are unmatched. There's a reason why I've played through it four times in under two years.

That said, some of my favorite games of all time don't have the best gameplay then, and it has aged badly since. MGS1, KOTOR1, Mass Effect 2. Probably because what makes a game memorable for the long haul isn't ones I played, but the ones I've experienced.

So does have Witcher 3 have great gameplay? No, and it was my #1 most desired improvement for the updates for Ps4 & XBX that I won't get.

But would I recommend any gamer to play it? Abso-fucking-lutely.

I've probably finished KOTOR 1 5-8 times. I feel like I could never get bored of it.

ME 2 I feel the same way. I have to say ME 2 aged way better than ME 1 or 3 with that shitty ending and lack of interesting squadmates (RIP Bioware. EA was the Corona/AIDS virus to that amazing studio)

But yeah I'd recommend the Witcher 2 and 3 to anyone. Amazing games with lots of replayability.

Its been confirmed that CDPR, after 2077, will be develop two games.

The sequel to 2077, and Witcher 4, probably.

Witcher has grown in popularity due to the long standing popularity of Wild Hunt and the Netflix series. They'd be fools to not develop a sequel, eventually.

Doubt its going to happen soon, but it will happen.

I hope you're right on this. Cyberpunk looks amazing. I really want another Witcher as well. Ciri is very popular. Wouldn't mind a game playing as her. Essentially you'd be a Neo level character.

I've probably finished KOTOR 1 5-8 times. I feel like I could never get bored of it.

I've beat KOTOR1&2 each a dozen times. Yes, they can eventually get boring.

I mostly played them over and over to see the variations in the story when playing as a man/woman and darkside/lightside.

Thankfully, thanks to YouTube, we can see those unique conversations with just a quick search.

Other than that, it does eventually get pretty repetitive.

And trust me, the gameplay hasn't aged well at all.

ME 2 I feel the same way. I have to say ME 2 aged way better than ME 1 or 3 with that shitty ending and lack of interesting squadmates (RIP Bioware. EA was the Corona/AIDS virus to that amazing studio)

Agreed on Bioware, and ME2.

ME2 was amazing, and I could play that one multiple of times over, especially with all the awesome DLC. It was one of my favorite games of the last decade.

Can only imagine what they would have done with ME3 without those c***s at EA ordering them to release it within two years of ME2. It was two entire years of crunch for them.

I hope you're right on this. Cyberpunk looks amazing. I really want another Witcher as well. Ciri is very popular. Wouldn't mind a game playing as her. Essentially you'd be a Neo level character.

Would be interesting to play as Ciri with her magical & Witcher powers, although she wouldn't technically be a Witcher.

We shall see if CDPR will be able to start doing development on CP2007's sequel and Witcher 4 at the same time.

Wouldn't count on seeing anything about Witcher 4 before 2025. Got to keep in mind they also have the CP2077 multiplayer to release as well.

Its tricky.... all of the games from the Witcher series and now CP2077, they've been one team of a few hundred employees. But to work on all these projects they're going to have to expand and split up.

In order to sustain the very high quality of their releases while increasing their releases, but not develop the 'constant crunch' development time as Bioware is going through, they're going to have to borrow the old-school Blizzard 'I'll be released when its finished' montra.

I think it was a mistake for them to release the 2018 E3 demo. It was awesome, but it was too early. It sucks being excited and having to wait for a new game for 24 to 30 months.

IMO, what Apple does for new tech gadgets, developing them and publicly demoing them weeks before their release, is the future of gaming marketing. Or, at maximum, announcing a game six months before its release.

The gameplay was a monumental leap forward from the previous two, and I certainly enjoyed it. It's simple, but very fluid and satisfying.

I don't really get what's so great about any other third person melee combat system. Some are built on combos like DMC/Gaiden/Mordor. Some are built on precarious timing to endlessly avoid one-shots while killing by a thousand cuts like the Souls games. Some focus more on the management and expenditure of 'energy' points, like in Tsushima or AC. Others focus more on pattern recognition. But that stuff all exists in Witcher 3 combat.

They all seem to boil down to the same core elements:
  • Timing
  • Pattern Recognition
  • Accrued or Regenerating Energy/Rage/Stamina Mana Management
  • Dodging
  • Parry/Shield/Counterattack mechanics
  • Combos (Chaining Damage)
  • Special Attacks
  • Range Management
  • Angles
  • Figuring Out Weakness Exploits

These are single player games, they're not serious competitive multiplayer fighting games. Ultimately, it can all get pretty silly. You reach a point in The Witcher where you can build a literally unkillable Geralt: where you can put down your controller against a dozen enemies, go eat lunch, come back, and the enemies are dead.
Aye. Playing Witcher 3 on the hardest setting makes the combat more exciting, as well. It's closer to a souls-game, where one or two shots can kill you.

High scored gameplay? Gameplay was never high scored. Its the only weak point of the game. The story, map, graphics, score, etc is what is highly scored.

The gameplay was a monumental leap forward from the previous two, and I certainly enjoyed it. It's simple, but very fluid and satisfying.

I don't really get what's so great about any other third person melee combat system. Some are built on combos like DMC/Gaiden/Mordor. Some are built on precarious timing to endlessly avoid one-shots while killing by a thousand cuts like the Souls games. Some focus more on the management and expenditure of 'energy' points, like in Tsushima or AC. Others focus more on pattern recognition. But that stuff all exists in Witcher 3 combat.

They all seem to boil down to the same core elements:
  • Timing
  • Pattern Recognition
  • Accrued or Regenerating Energy/Rage/Stamina Mana Management
  • Dodging
  • Parry/Shield/Counterattack mechanics
  • Combos (Chaining Damage)
  • Special Attacks
  • Range Management
  • Angles
  • Figuring Out Weakness Exploits

These are single player games, they're not serious competitive multiplayer fighting games. Ultimately, it can all get pretty silly. You reach a point in The Witcher where you can build a literally unkillable Geralt: where you can put down your controller against a dozen enemies, go eat lunch, come back, and the enemies are dead.

Combat isn't the selling point, but compared to the first two games, it's highly improved. I never finished W2 as I hated the gameplay for the most part, was clunky AF. Combat in the 1st is a big why bother, but I still loved the game. It played well enough with a M&K. I'm used to Euro-jank (Gothic anyone?) but W2 was just inconsistently shite.

I really enjoyed the gameplay in W3 though. Dodging was fun, felt like a dance. I liked squaring up with enemies like it was a dance off.

I'd much rather a Dark Souls style though, where enemies are smarter and challenging, rather than a stats based thing. Even with scaling turned off, enemy difficulty is all over the place.

I briefly tried to play it but had no clue what I was doing so I said fuck it and moved on with the game.

I wanted to get into it, but in my experience they constantly stacked the odds against you, so it was hard to get over the initial hump for me. Every game I played, I'd be winning up until the AI just started pulling game ending cards out of their ass. That was ultimately what made me not even bother with it. Good card game, but the cheap AI spoiled it for me. I just couldn't be arsed after seven or eight games in a row with the same bullshit.

The only way, for me, to not get bored with the combat is with a pure alchemy build. I don't even bother using the Aerondight because it is too OP.

I wanted to get into it, but in my experience they constantly stacked the odds against you, so it was hard to get over the initial hump for me. Every game I played, I'd be winning up until the AI just started pulling game ending cards out of their ass. That was ultimately what made me not even bother with it. Good card game, but the cheap AI spoiled it for me. I just couldn't be arsed after seven or eight games in a row with the same bullshit.

Key is to save your game ending cards. Sacrifice the first round and let your opponent use all their cards. You start off with an emphasis in siege so the best strat early on is to have a bunch of siege weapons and use the Northern Realms leader ability to double your points.

Also if you are fighting the monster realm always keep a frost card.

Last edited:
Witcher 3 combat is some of my favorite sword fighting + magic stuff. It's dynamic, looks cool and there's lots of different ways you can actually win battles.

I'd enjoy playing this game again with better graphics. Top 3 all time for me.

I reinstalled Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. I still haven't played on the LG OLED so its looking epic in this HDR grade at least. I know when you die the loading times will be brutal but everything else runs pretty smooth.

Welp, decided to start another playthrough. I figured I'd play for a few minutes and quit because I've played it so much, but it's been a year...and roaming through the artistic swamp with the amazing sound effects has me hooked again. This game has some of the best ambience.

I think if you took the game play of something like Breath of the Wild, simple but intuitive and responsive, this is the greatest game ever made. The fact that Geralt spins around like a whirling Dervish in combat and acts like a total spaz while trying to do anything else really holds the game back.

Almost every one of my favorite accents in the English language is Scottish, but the voice actor who voices Olgierd may have my favorite speaking voice I've ever heard.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm1442933/?ref_=tt_rv_t2
MV5BYzRkYjVmYmQtMzJkZC00ZDkwLTkyODQtNDU5NWUyOWMzODY0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjg4MTgzNDY@._V1_UY853_.jpg

Curious that ive played all the content for witcher 3 but i cant be bothered to finish the last episode of the witcher Netflix. Maybe because its missing something. Idk

"The Witcher 3 is preparing a shiny next-gen release for consoles, one us PC adventurers will receive as a free update. Now, it seems CD Projekt Red is turning to modders to help sharpen up the 2015 RPG.

As spotted by Kotaku, the creator of of texture upscaling mod "The Witcher 3 HD Reworked" explained his silence on the project of late. Turns out, CDPR had contacted him about the graphical touch-up, teasing that it's "very likely that HDRP will be included in the official next generation update".

CDPR confirmed the collaboration in a statement to Kotaku, adding: "In addition to our own development efforts on the upcoming next-gen version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5 and PC, we are also in talks with creators of various mods for the 2015 release of the game."

The developer did clarify that there were no binding agreements with modders, which also meant it also couldn't clarify if CDPR had plans to pay these developers for their work. "

Finally! A developer is doing what I've been saying for YEARS what they absolutely should do!

Remember when that Skyrim Legendary Edition came out for the PC (as well as as PS4 and XB1) and it still looked like shit compared to how modders already made Skyrim look on PC? I said 'Just outsource the development to modders OR offer the mods payment for the pre-existing mods to be made into official updates.'

Sheesh. Amazing it took this long for a development studio & publisher to figure it out.

As for the 'The developer did clarify that there were no binding agreements with modders, which also meant it also couldn't clarify if CDPR had plans to pay these developers for their work....'

<LikeReally5>
Bitch please, you're saving time and money from CDPR, a billion-dollar company, investing into an update for their most popular game to be played on new powerful consoles and will increase sales of that game. Don't expect the public to believe the modders are doing this for free.

For those who are curious, here's a graphics comparison of the HD Rework Mod cited in the article. This is some quality work right here.

I wonder if that means Saber Interactive are having problems doing the ports as they were the ones working on it as CDPR were doing Cyberpunk

I think there's a bit of a "Why isn't the combat like Dark Souls?" sentiment that has arisen ever since the Souls series caught on, with action RPG's. Combat, that while good, sometimes just feels like a more methodical, and not necessarily deeper system. Beyond the skill points you invest, the actual combat in Dark Souls is fairly simplistic. It's just unforgiving, as it kills you routinely for making three, two, or even one mistake. So it makes you think about your approach a bit more than you would if it was more forgiving. At the end of the day though, for the most part, you're just rolling, blocking, and stabbing. It does offer more variety in builds, but I'd imagine like most games of these kinds, most people are gonna choose the path of least resistance, which is usually the Knight.

Both games just have different goals. Comparing the combat in "The Witcher 3" to "Dark Souls", is like comparing the storytelling in each game. It's apples and oranges. Personally, I don't want a Souls-like punishing combat system, in a game more focused on story that can take 100+ hours to complete. "The Witcher 2" for instance, was way more methodical with it's combat mechanics, and it was a lot less fun because of it.
Since this thread got necroed anyway, I'll voice my support for this comment.

I don't understand why some people want every action RPG to have souls-like combat. I'd like to see more games with combat like Dragon's Dogma or Devil May Cry or God of War or the magic system from Two Worlds II. Let's mix it up a little. Not every game needs to be punishing. Systems that allow whimsical creativity are usually unbalanced and easy, but that shit is fun.

Been wanting to do a new run but was waiting for a new gen update. Looking forward to this.

I just wanted good combat.

"The Witcher 3 is preparing a shiny next-gen release for consoles, one us PC adventurers will receive as a free update. Now, it seems CD Projekt Red is turning to modders to help sharpen up the 2015 RPG.

As spotted by Kotaku, the creator of of texture upscaling mod "The Witcher 3 HD Reworked" explained his silence on the project of late. Turns out, CDPR had contacted him about the graphical touch-up, teasing that it's "very likely that HDRP will be included in the official next generation update".

CDPR confirmed the collaboration in a statement to Kotaku, adding: "In addition to our own development efforts on the upcoming next-gen version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5 and PC, we are also in talks with creators of various mods for the 2015 release of the game."

The developer did clarify that there were no binding agreements with modders, which also meant it also couldn't clarify if CDPR had plans to pay these developers for their work. "

Finally! A developer is doing what I've been saying for YEARS what they absolutely should do!

Remember when that Skyrim Legendary Edition came out for the PC (as well as as PS4 and XB1) and it still looked like shit compared to how modders already made Skyrim look on PC? I said 'Just outsource the development to modders OR offer the mods payment for the pre-existing mods to be made into official updates.'

Sheesh. Amazing it took this long for a development studio & publisher to figure it out.

As for the 'The developer did clarify that there were no binding agreements with modders, which also meant it also couldn't clarify if CDPR had plans to pay these developers for their work....'

<LikeReally5>
Bitch please, you're saving time and money from CDPR, a billion-dollar company, investing into an update for their most popular game to be played on new powerful consoles and will increase sales of that game. Don't expect the public to believe the modders are doing this for free.

For those who are curious, here's a graphics comparison of the HD Rework Mod cited in the article. This is some quality work right here.

On the one hand modder involvement is cool, but on the other it definitely suggests that CDPR is putting very little effort on their end into this, which probably explains why after 8 months there’s been no updates, and still no sign of a release date. It’s probably all hands on deck to fix Cyberpunk still so we could be waiting a while still for this.

Back