Would every Welterweight fighter and up in the UFC today have won UFC 1?

Armbars still get used because they have a decent chance of success. My issue isn't so much with the scoring system in this thread. It's the evolution of the leg game as it pertains to Ken. People do still go for leg subs in the UFC and they still go for risky ones, but they don't play the same leg game that Ken used to because grappling has simply moved on since then.
yeah, but you´re still considerin´only part of the equation, a sub attempt can also be relevant, scorin´-wise.

Check:

Juliana Lima @ ufc-fight-night-102:

“If I’m at the bottom, it’s a waste of time to throw up submissions. It’s better to get back on my feet."

She pretty much summed up the evolution of MMA Scorin´Systems & its influence on skill sets...

yeah, but you´re still considerin´only part of the equation, a sub attempt can also be relevant, scorin´-wise.

Check:

Juliana Lima @ ufc-fight-night-102:

“If I’m at the bottom, it’s a waste of time to throw up submissions. It’s better to get back on my feet."

She pretty much summed up the evolution of MMA Scorin´Systems & its influence on skill sets...

I don't agree that that's relevant to UFC 1 Ken Shamrock beating modern day fighters in the leg game. It's relevant for discussing how the modern day leg game should be scored, but the one Ken was using is archaic by today's standards.

I don't agree that that's relevant to UFC 1 Ken Shamrock beating modern day fighters in the leg game. It's relevant for discussing how the modern day leg game should be scored, but the one Ken was using is archaic by today's standards.
It´s kindah relevant if you acknowledge that you can also beat someone (or ar least be competitive, scorin´-wise)
with a sub... attempt.
And this, has been Unified Rules of MMA Judging Criteria´s main problematic in those last 2 revisions: the definition of effectiveness in terms of grapplin´.

Check: Ken got a SD loss (a potentially controversial one tbh) vs Don in Pride, mainly thanks to his leg lock attempt.
This SD loss would have been a clear UD one in UFC.

In Pride´s more complex Scorin´System, Charuto would have beaten Hughes, BJ would have beaten No Rush,
Fig. would have won that first round vs Benavidez, etc...

If Ken doesnt get the sub, it doesnt mean that in a different, more complex Scorin´System, he has no shot at winnin´
the fight...

Now, if you´re sayin´ that Ken would have had no shot at even threatenin´ them with that specific skill set, it´s a different story...
Anyway, comparin´skill sets from different eras is pretty much pointless, each is intrisically linked to a specific scene & Scorin´System that allow it to flourish...

royce beat him.... that means demian maia beats him too.
Royce used the GI as weapon and choked him with it.

The second fight Royce used the GI to survive and not get beaten into a lump of bone and blood.

In the third fight Royce kicked him in the nuts.

Back