Would Frankie have beaten Ortega and Zombie if he were in his prime?

Wdefense

Effectiveness trumps all.
Banned
Reaction score
He was clearly past his prime in both fights, which was one of the reasons he lost.

I believe the version of Frankie that destroyed Cub would beat both.

Intriguing question. For Zombie, I'd say PRIME Frankie takes him 8 or 9/10. Ortega is tricky though, and if his hands hadn't done the job, I'm afraid his sub skills would've. So that one's a bit harder. I'd say Prime Frankie beats Ortega 5-7/10 times. Just a gut answer, but who knows?

Last edited:
Intriguing question. For Zombie, I'd a same a PRIME Frankie takes him 8 or 9/10. Ortega is tricky though, and if his hands hadn't done the job, I'm afraid his sub skills would've. So that one's a bit harder. I'd say Prime Frankie beats Ortega 5-7/10 times. Just a gut answer, but who knows?
That's about how I see it...

The Ortega that beat Frankie was the best version of Ortega we've seen vs Frankie's worst incarnation.

Zombie get too excited sometimes, and prime Frankie ate that shit up.

Zombie is just a bad matchup for him imo. Strong grappler with vicious counter punching is just bad for Edgar. Zombie probably beats any Edgar.

Ortega he's more likely to beat imo.

prime edgar beats juicy ortega
prime egdar beats pre-military zombie but gets wrecked by patient zombie

142.gif

But heres a funny forgotten Frankie IG post..

Zombie KOs any Edgar imo. I think Frankie is past his prime but I think MMA has evolved and he has stayed the same unlike fighters like KZ.

Zombie is just a bad matchup for him imo. Strong grappler with vicious counter punching is just bad for Edgar. Zombie probably beats any Edgar.

I agree with this. Not to mention that Ortega wasn't schooling edgar--he landed an elbow that would be very hard for him to replicate.

Zombie KOs any Edgar imo. I think Frankie is past his prime but I think MMA has evolved and he has stayed the same unlike fighters like KZ.
Frankie was several "Evolutions" ahead of most in MMA so what else was he supposed to evolve? He aged and fought for ages against much larger guys.

Ortega is a Top 5 FW in MMA History

He destroys any version of Frankie

Hard to tell, KZ has always hit hard. If Frankie took the Maynard shots from KZ back then, I think he'd still go out.

Ortega's a strange one but I think it's 5 a piece if they fought 10 times.

Frankie was pretty competitive with Ortega before that elbow. I think prime vs prime he would have danced around him picking his shots to a decision. I think he'd have a harder time with KZ if KZ remained calculated throughout the fight.

Zombie will always beat Frankie, but prime Frankie will always beat Ortega.

Frankie Edgar beat Prime GOAT BJ Penn, at 155... TWICE

Same BJ Penn who went to a close decision with GSP, and beat Matt Hughes decisvely.

Frankie Edgar also beat Gray Maynard who was the biggest 155er, and arguably beat Bendo who was another big 155er... all while Fighting at his walkaround weight.

Frankie Edgar could have extended his career extensively if he fought in his actual weight class of 135. That's how badass Frankie Edgar is.

Fighting at LW taxed him greatly. He took a ton of damage from much bigger guys.

Prime Frankie would do 50-45 easily on Ortega, Idk how about Zombie I think Frankie wins but not sure

imo, prime frankie beats ortega but the current zombie probably beats any frankie.

Some People dont know shit from shit.... Frankie was a stud because, as a 155er, he walked around a few pounds above his class.....much respect. However, during " his time ", all the great lightweights were not in UFC yet. He ended up at 145 where he belongs. The Edgar that fought Ortega wasnt " that bad" a version of Frankie ffs.
Ortega walks around heavier at 145 then Edgar did when he was fighting Maynard.
UFC- mma in general, it's tough to make these comparisons due to context, periods and other variables.

Last edited:

Nah, Frankie fights a young man's style. Like Cruz, the Frankie from 10 years ago was a completely different beast. He'd run circles around Zombie and land enough strikes and TDs to win a decision (and probably aggravate fans with his style). Frankie had no problem taking down a prime Gray Maynard so he'd have no issue taking Zombie down. He had a stronger chin, too.

People don't realize that from WW and below, the oldest champ was only 33 (Cejudo and briefly Matt Hughes before GSP beat him). A slight loss in speed/reflexes is killer and Edgar is nowhere near the fighter he was a decade ago.

Back