Would Khabib have stood a change against prime Sherk?

Fun fact: after Khabib beat Conor, Sherk wrote this on his Facebook

"NOTE TO MCGREGOR

Not sure if the McGregor/Khabib rematch will take place but if it does hiring a guy like Jordan Burroughs to come out and teach you how to wrestle isn’t the keys to victory. You can’t learn how to out wrestle a guy like Khabib who’s been wrestling since birth in just a matter of weeks just by training with a world champion. It doesn’t work that way.

The keys to victory for the rematch would be to hire a guy like myself for instance. Who’s fighting style is almost identical to Khabib. I made a career out of using my superior Wrestling ability to outfight opponents in a cage while still remaining three-dimensional. I know how to beat guys like myself. I know what works To stiful takedowns, catch Submission’s on the fly, stop ground and pound from being affective and escapes from bottom based on the same techniques and philosophies that worked on me.

Mixed martial arts is no longer a game of Style vs style. It’s man versus man, game planning / executing game plans and evolution.

The best athletes in the world take a loss as an opportunity to learn and evolve.

I have the experience and credentials to prove it.

I am for hire!!

If you like this share it."

Tibau wasn't 5'6
Didn't stop him from becoming champ. Just like DC and tons of others height is a positive thing either shorter or taller if they learn to use it. Mike Tyson, Fedor, Igor Vovchanchy, Mark Hunt, Randy Couture, Melvin Manhoef etc etc all were usually shorter then their opponents. Then some taller guys don't learn to use it like the sky scraper. Jones uses his height well along with some others.

Last edited:
Sherk was 5' 6" with 67 in reach... the same size as Chad Mendez

5XIvhGb.gif

Prime BJ would also have been a bad matchup for Khabib, I think. Good TDD, good standup and a good and active ground game.

Prime BJ got wrecked by Frankie Edgar's wrestling and cardio... Khabib's wrestling, bigger size, and cardio would be too much for BJ Penn.

lol at sherk "ragdolling" khabib.

Prime BJ got wrecked by Frankie Edgar's wrestling and cardio... Khabib's wrestling, bigger size, and cardio would be too much for BJ Penn.

I think Frankie has a very different style than Khabib. He can give BJ trouble on the feet - there I do not see Khabib give BJ much of a fight since BJ might not care about being taken down.
On the mat BJ might very well be smashed though. That's a very possible scenario. I agree.

No, as someone who really got into MMA during the early 00's, Sherk would struggle with Khabib. Sherk has an impressive stat on his record, being that his losses are only against former UFC Champions, but look at his total resume:
He only has maybe 5-6 fights against high level fighters, and he lost the majority of them.

He was very good against "non wrestlers" but struggled mightily against quick guys with good takedown defense. GSP and BJ Penn absolutely carved him up because he couldn't get inside or take them down. Frankie Edgar was able to use his elusiveness to control the offense. Sherk was able to control Nick Diaz and Kenny Florian to win those fights, but neither guy had the greatest takedown defense, and Sherk really didn't do that much damage to either, just controlled the pace. Heck, Hermes Franca really landed some solid shots on him as well, and may have gotten robbed of a couple rounds if you rewatch that fight....

As far as a fight against Khabib, I think Khabib would eventually win by late stoppage or an easy unanimous decision against Prime Sherk. I think the fight would look similar to the GSP fight, the pressure would eventually overcome Sherk, and he would have a hard time dealing with Khabib's top game offense.

Last edited:
I think it would be a very close competitive fight. I could see both fighters stalemating and not being able to really take one another down or doing anything offensively with grappling.

it would be a kickboxing match between two sloppy strikers
total snoozefest

Back