Would the Jones that KO'd DC beat Santos/Reyes decisively?

Not necessarily. Roided Jones had trouble with Gustafsson who is a tall striker and hard to take down (or was). No reason to think he wouldn't have trouble with Reyes.
Jones beat Gustaffson in that fight clearly IMO, but the reason it was as close as it was was probably for the exact reasons that Jones gave, which is that he came in with the wrong gameplan stylistically and prepared poorly against a surprisingly tough opponent. I don't think he did that with Reyes. His problem with Reyes was that he was too patient and not aggressive enough. Jones back when he fought Gustaffson 1 did not have that issue of being too conservative.

Jones beat Gustaffson in that fight clearly IMO, but the reason it was as close as it was was probably for the exact reasons that Jones gave, which is that he came in with the wrong gameplan stylistically and prepared poorly against a surprisingly tough opponent. I don't think he did that with Reyes. His problem with Reyes was that he was too patient and not aggressive enough. Jones back when he fought Gustaffson 1 did not have that issue of being too conservative.
Reyes wasn't letting him do anything in the first 3 rounds. Every time he tried Reyes would counter, rush him with surprising aggression and threaten with his power. You can argue Jones could've done more in the championship rounds (although he clearly couldn't take him down) but Reyes straight up negated him in the first 3.

Figuring out how to beat someone and having the ability to do it is two different things. Its not like Jon learned how to throw a high kick all of a sudden. But it sure as hell was a lot more powerful than it ever was before.
Lol he timed it perfectly tho

Reyes wasn't letting him do anything in the first 3 rounds. Every time he tried Reyes would counter, rush him with surprising aggression and threaten with his power. You can argue Jones could've done more in the championship rounds (although he clearly couldn't take him down) but Reyes straight up negated him in the first 3.
I feel like he could have knocked him out in 4 or 5, based on how gassed Reyes was. He was even resting his hands on his hips just like Gustaffson did in their first fight.

Wasn't a kd idiot

"A knockdown occurs when a fighter touches the floor of the ring with any part of the body other than the feet following a hit, but is able to rise back up and continue fighting."

giphy.gif

I feel like he could have knocked him out in 4 or 5, based on how gassed Reyes was. He was even resting his hands on his hips just like Gustaffson did in their first fight.
Apparently he couldn't KO him because he didn't. Jon won the 4th & 5th but lost the first 3 clear as day. If MMA is a sport as it is claimed coming on late doesn't negate the opponents scoring early. If Tom Brady was down 3 TDs in the first 3 quarters but outscores the opponent in the last quarter by 2 TDs does he win? No and neither should Jon.

Apparently he couldn't KO him because he didn't.
Fighters don't automatically accomplish everything they're capable of. They make tactical and strategic decisions that effect the outcome. I think he probably thought he looked better in round 3 than he did so he didn't take all the risks he needed to in the last two rounds to seal the deal.

Fighters don't automatically accomplish everything they're capable of. They make tactical and strategic decisions that effect the outcome. I think he probably thought he looked better in round 3 than he did so he didn't take all the risks he needed to in the last two rounds to seal the deal.
I think he was cautious as he knew that even tired a one shot KO threat can always end things. Jon assuming he was going to win a decision when he should have been down 3 rounds is pretty dangerous thinking. Hendricks felt like he was doing so well he lost the 5th and lost his chance at the title. Dominick was tired but he was able to defend himself and mount some offence of his own. Jon never had him close to out

You guys need to stop beating off to Reyes' offense in that Jones fight.

Yes, it was a ridiculously close bout, and yes, Reyes surprised the hell out of me - especially when you realize he lost to Volkan and got that gift decision to get there, showing only half the skill in that fight, which was a good bout.

Maybe you guys should pay as much attention to Jones' defense in the bout. You guys were creaming your pants when Reyes threw that fifteen piece chicken and a biscuit combo in the second and didn't realize Jones dodged most of it and he only landed a few strikes.

And stop with the robbery bullshit. You guys use it far too liberally around here.

I know, I wanted and thought maybe Reyes won, but wasnt surprised when they said Jones. I dont think people know what robbery means. To me when Nick Ring beat Riki Fukuda was an example of a robbery.

I know, I wanted and thought maybe Reyes won, but wasnt surprised when they said Jones. I dont think people know what robbery means. To me when Nick Ring beat Riki Fukuda was an example of a robbery.

Diego over Kampmann is the most egregious decision I've ever seen.

Back