Would you buy one of these for you car?

MASShole

Get it?
@red
Reaction score

71Lg27yUmpL._SL1191_.jpg

I generally have a few amazing knives (tanto Ka-bar, seat belt splitter/window smasher combo, hatchet), tools, blankets, towels, multitool, hiking backpack with clothes and more in my car, but would you guys think of buying a kit like this? It seems like a great gift for a family member.

Thoughts? What is in your car at all times? Keep in mind I don't own a gun, and don't care to purchase one. Personal preference.

Last edited:
Actually a cool idea I'm gonna make a survival bag to keep in my car. I've always kept a large first aid kit

Actually a cool idea I'm gonna make a survival bag to keep in my car. I've always kept a large first aid kit

That's the only thing I'm missing, and it's on a wish list. I drive a 4Runner, and there's a molle compatible insert I can buy and put in the back to hang things on instead of having it all over. I'm thinking I need a first aid kit, a hatchet/axe, and what I currently have. I can expand when I go camping, but for every day needs I think I'm good with my hiking backpack (mine's the 35L) full of clothes. Only thing I feel I'm missing is waterproof shoes.

I will buy a big fat first aid kit from a company.

The go bag I think I'd create on my own so I could control what knife/shears and stuff is in it.

IMO that amazon thing is 90% useless. It is like whoever selling it has put no thought into it and is just out to make a quick buck surprise surprise.

Ironically the 'useful' things in that bag are probably of such a low quality I wouldn't trust them to do their job anyways.

Always makes me cringe when I see the button compasses also, I've had to use them to 'navigate' before with self made maps in the military for a course...utter shite

IMO that amazon thing is 90% useless. It is like whoever selling it has put no thought into it and is just out to make a quick buck surprise surprise.

Ironically the 'useful' things in that bag are probably of such a low quality I wouldn't trust them to do their job anyways.

Always makes me cringe when I see the button compasses also, I've had to use them to 'navigate' before with self made maps in the military for a course...utter shite

Since I started this thread, the more I've thought about it the more I just want to create my own version with quality products. I already have a lot of the gear ready to go, and can easily buy higher quality stuff from some great hunting stores around me.

This item is just so neatly wrapped and presented, ya know? I'm not sure if I can find a little bag like that anywhere, but if I can it'd be awesome.

If you had a small bug out kit like this, what would be included?

Since I started this thread, the more I've thought about it the more I just want to create my own version with quality products. I already have a lot of the gear ready to go, and can easily buy higher quality stuff from some great hunting stores around me.

This item is just so neatly wrapped and presented, ya know? I'm not sure if I can find a little bag like that anywhere, but if I can it'd be awesome.

If you had a small bug out kit like this, what would be included?

I used to sort this stuff out for a living for clients in hostile environments, I'll post when I get a chance for you if you like?

Do you have a car or truck?

4Runner. I'm thinking about buying the internal molle attachment system in my other post so I can carry much more stuff too. Right now I have a Ka-Bar Becker Utility (seat belt cutter, window smasher, etc.), SOG hatchet, Ka-Bar Tanto knife, Leatherman multi-tool, waterproof matches, flashlight, fleece blanket, towel, a hiking backpack with a change of clothes, rain jacket, fleece, beanie and more. If I get that molle attachment I may add an axe like this, first aid kit like this and a bit more. I just got this Kershaw camp knife today.

I have rope lights, flashlight, life straw, paracord and more at home already.

Ok my lists are usually pretty indepth for work, but this is for normal day use so I'll keep this short and cheap:

Waterproof pouch:
-photocopy of drivers license, insurance papers, emergency contacts.
-Detailed map of local area and larger areas.
-silva compass
-GPS with mapping loaded and important features if traveling rural area
-$100-1000 cash

Vehicle Breakdown kit. The actual tools you would add in as well as this list will depend on your own skill with a vehicle.
-Spare fuel
-Jack, the ones with car are usually shit so i recommend buying a better quality version
-Consider air jack- can be used to roll vehicles over.
-Basic tool set
-wood block (for vehicle changes on soft ground)
-tarp
-air compressor
-Spare fuses and bulbs for vehicle
-tow rope
-winch
-triangle warning signs
-reflective shirt
-shovel
-fire extinguisher
-dry rags
-mechanic gloves
-wd40

Comms
-pair of radios charged and spare batteries
-spare pay as you go cell phone

Bag with internal waterproof bag (canoe bag) to contain:
-rain jacket, warm clothing, boots, socks, underwear, gloves, hat for hot/cold weather
-headtorch, flashlight, spare batteries waterproofed
-fire lighting kit- so many ways to choose, but at the least lighters waterproofed
-paracord
-duct tape
-space blanket
-emergency snacks taped up so you dont eat them you greedy slut
-whistle
-bungee cords
-jump cables
-Spare water loaded into canteens as well as a large container
-fixed blade knife/pocket knife/hatchet/hand saw
-roll mat and sleeping system
-towel
-trauma shears

Other considerations:
-Handbook for most popular other language, Spanish I'd guess in this case

-Know where nearest trauma rated hospital is located and expected time/distance

There aren't many medpacks I'd recommend 'off the shelf', they are often overpriced and full of fluff. It would have its own list I could do if anyone wanted (I'm a paramedic too).

This could be a very in depth list...but right here are the basics. At work this stuff was a daily check, at home I'd check this all once a month for damage and practice using it, as well as checking battery levels etc.

Also highly important that all of this equipment is tied/bolted down, the last thing you want is debris flying around the vehicle to fuck you up with in a car crash. I have my breakdown kit in a box and my backpack carabinered to the back of the vehicle beside it. Fire extinguisher should be in the front cab with you but screwed in/secured somewhere near you.

Last edited:
Air jacks can be used for all sorts of tricky situations for self rescue:
4T-Ton-Exhaust-Inflatable-Air-Jack-Bag-Gas.jpg

Ok my lists are usually pretty indepth for work, but this is for normal day use so I'll keep this short and cheap:

Waterproof pouch:
-silva compass
-$100-1000 cash

Vehicle Breakdown kit. The actual tools you would add in as well as this list will depend on your own skill with a vehicle.
-Spare fuel
-Jack, the ones with car are usually shit so i recommend buying a better quality version
-Basic tool set
-tarp
-air compressor
-tow rope
-winch
-triangle warning signs
-reflective shirt
-shovel
-fire extinguisher
-dry rags
-mechanic gloves
-wd40

Comms

-rain jacket, warm clothing, boots, socks, underwear, gloves, hat for hot/cold weather
-fire lighting kit- so many ways to choose, but at the least lighters waterproofed
-paracord
-duct tape
-space blanket
-whistle
-bungee cords
-jump cables
-towel
-trauma shears

Other considerations:

There aren't many medpacks I'd recommend 'off the shelf', they are often overpriced and full of fluff. It would have its own list I could do if anyone wanted (I'm a paramedic too).

This could be a very in depth list...but right here are the basics. At work this stuff was a daily check, at home I'd check this all once a month for damage and practice using it, as well as checking battery levels etc.

Also highly important that all of this equipment is tied/bolted down, the last thing you want is debris flying around the vehicle to fuck you up with in a car crash. I have my breakdown kit in a box and my backpack carabinered to the back of the vehicle beside it. Fire extinguisher should be in the front cab with you but screwed in/secured somewhere near you.

Helluva list, my man, thanks.

Waterproof pouch:
-silva compass
-$100-1000 cash

-Spare fuel
-Basic tool set
-tarp
-air compressor
-tow rope
-winch
-triangle warning signs
-reflective shirt
-shovel
-fire extinguisher
-dry rags
-mechanic gloves
-wd40

Comms

-paracord
-duct tape
-space blanket
-whistle
-bungee cords
-jump cables
-towel
-trauma shears

Other considerations:

That's a damn good list of stuff. I keep some tools and emergency items in a swingcase in my truck bed, and a small first aid kit in the truck. I'm slowly building my hiking/camping pack and I didn't consider a lot of those things.

One question: why a burner phone and not a battery charging brick? I have two of those that will charge my phone like 8 times each. Just curious.

One question: why a burner phone and not a battery charging brick? I have two of those that will charge my phone like 8 times each. Just curious.

No reason to not add a battery charger at all, especially with how cheap they are now. But 2nd simplistic pay as you go phone means you have a cheap yet functioning secondary device for emergencies...no touch screen to worry about going tits up in crap weather etc.

Most people have their giant touchscreen phones out, chances are in a remotely serious accident that thing is going to bounce off every solid object in the vehicle and might not be in one piece by the end of it.

On most of my jobs overseas the biggest non-combatant threat tended to be from a road traffic incidents...so we always prepped in anticipation of that happening.

Another consideration is provider service if you are taking a long journey that spans more remote areas...it is worth finding out areas without coverage etc...this stuff can go as in depth or simple as you like.

No reason to not add a battery charger at all, especially with how cheap they are now. But 2nd simplistic pay as you go phone means you have a cheap yet functioning secondary device for emergencies...no touch screen to worry about going tits up in crap weather etc.

Most people have their giant touchscreen phones out, chances are in a remotely serious accident that thing is going to bounce off every solid object in the vehicle and might not be in one piece by the end of it.

On most of my jobs overseas the biggest non-combatant threat tended to be from a road traffic incidents...so we always prepped in anticipation of that happening.

Another consideration is provider service if you are taking a long journey that spans more remote areas...it is worth finding out areas without coverage etc...this stuff can go as in depth or simple as you like.

My first thought was flip phone (or non-smart phone) vs smart phone, and how much sturdier they are. I kinda wonder how great of cell reception they can get nowadays - is it equal to a smart phone? I'm just thinking about space/technology in the phone itself and whether a burner can do as well due to limitations. I've never looked into it so I'm just typing out loud here.

My backpack always has a charging brick in it inside of a small zipper case that contains all of my cords. Without a survival situation, I can't tell you how much that cord case has helped my organization, and it can contain my charging brick. It's so useful.

I've been kicking around the idea of buying a Garmin inReach. I like that I can send text messages with it even in an areas with no service. It's definitely expensive and you have to pay a subscription service. If you're budget can fit something like that then I think it would be a good idea. I would only activate a months worth of service if I was going out camping in an area with poor service.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/561269/pn/010-01735-10#

Compass looks like a piece of shit. Wiresaw will break the first time you try to use it. Replace the flashlight with a headlamp. Replace half that junk in there with a gerber/leatherman. Take that flint out and put a lighter in there. Add a big plastic garbage bag or two.

Back