Jericho No mercy Ladder
Cena vs Edge vs Orton
Angle Vengeance
Angle WM 21
Shelton Benjamin Raw
Benoit vs HHH Backlash
Benoit vs HHH WM 20
Elimination Chamber 02

I preferred his first run, his matches with Razor Ramon and some of the Bret Hart matches were so epic

As great has his initial run was, I think he benefitted greatly from better opponents and more maturity in his second run

I agree, but the success of the second run obviously owed a lot to the first run as well. The Flair and Undertaker wrestlemania matches don’t have anywhere near the same emotional stakes for the viewer without long term knowledge of both of guys wrestling. Similarly, the Hogan feud needed Shawn’s reputation to precede him. I liked the late run better, but I bet if I revisited his early mid-90s stuff now with the same long view of his career available to me, it would be closer than expected.

The matches with Angle are as good as or better than anything Shawn ever did at any stage of his career though.

I hated his gear in his second run. Was really distracting.

Got to go with the first run but his 2nd run had a lot of bright spots for sure.

I hated his gear in his second run. Was really distracting.

Got to go with the first run but his 2nd run had a lot of bright spots for sure.
I’m really glad I’m not the only one. I hate the weird chaps pants gimmick and just never found it to fit him. I wish he had stuck with his original gear for the 2nd run.

He was definitely one of the best ever in the ring but had such a shitty personality that I wouldn't even put him in my top ten favorite wrestlers of all time but a lot of guys he feuded with are in there; Taker, Angle, Foley, Bret Hart, Austin

Both were great, but he stood out more in the 1st run as you watched him become a star.

I mean shawn from the heel turn in '92 to first retirement in '98 was def the best shawn michaels. Dont know how anyone could doubt that.

I never dug him as a face. The guy is totally a natural heel all the way.

First run is GOAT Shawn...

Super-over with Janeatty in the Rockers
Barber shop promo where he turns heel
Sexy Boy with Sheri managing
Ladder match with Razor
Iron Man with Bret
Breaks kayfabe mid-match and buries Vader at SS
MSG Curtain Call
Gets his shit pushed in by a Marine
Buries Shane Douglas by simply handing him the IC strap
Loses his smile and buries Mania to avoid doing a job
First/best incarnation of DX
Refuses to job to Davey in England than buries the Euro belt
HIAC against Taker
Sunny Days
Feud with heel Bret
Montreal Screwjob
Puts over Austin at Mania

Last edited:
I never dug him as a face. The guy is totally a natural heel all the way.

That's definitely true. Anyone ever read his second book where he talks all about being a Christian and how the Lord saved him? LOL, it's a sad attempt to try and save face (literally) later in life. I got in from the library just to see how full of shit he is. I'm skimming through it and chuckling.

Against HHH at summerslam whatever year that was

I thought this quote from his book was funny considering we're all pretty much in agreement that the earlier run of his career was better than the later.

"One reason that the second part of my career was better than the first is because of the range and depth of emotions I brought into my job after my comeback. That was a direct result of my faith, which allowed me to tap into real-life emotions like joy, sadness, despair, peace, and conflict over doing right versus wrong, and then bring those into storylines and matches."

He goes on to say that his match with Flair at WM 24 is possibly the greatest pro wrestling match of all time ... LOL

Throwing Marty Jannety through the Barbershop window >>>>>>>>>>>>

DZ-Y-v5VMAEiH6I.jpg

I'm glad he got to come back and have a lengthy career and sort of rewrite his story. He had some amazing matches because he was one of the best to ever do it and the work rate was at an all time high but in my opinion the first half of his career was much more memorable.

Not even his best WM match

1. Razor
2. Taker 25
3. Angle

Were all way better

Flair match was really good though

Yep, even the WM 12 Iron Man match, WM 14 Stone Cold, and WM 19 Jericho you could argue were all better than WM 24.

Back