X-Guard Series 2 "Inferno" Gi Review

LODD2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I found this neat banner while searching around on the internet.

Disclaimer
I am not affiliated with any Gi company, I am expressing my own opinion to the best of my ability in this hopefully comprehensive Gi review.

Introduction
I have been practicing BJJ for nearly a year and a half, with a majority of my time spent with the gi on. Ever since my first gi, a crappy Kondyo gi provided by my first BJJ academy, was torn up within 3 months of use (6 in gash near/on side vent), I have been trying to find a good gi that is durable, comfortable, and aesthetically pleasing. I have owned a total of 4 gi's so far, a Kondyo Single Weave, a Toraki Personal Gold, a Gameness Pearl, and the X-Guard gi. With my latest gi being the X-Guard gi, I feel that I found the gi that is almost the perfect match with me, although some minor changes would make it the perfect gi.

I was going to post a review as soon as I got this gi several months ago, but I forgot to. But the good part about posting a review several months after you get a gi is that the gi becomes battle tested and becomes less biased as the majority of people usually focus highly on the pro's of a new gi rather than the con's.
I found the X-Guard website while I was doing some online shopping for a new BJJ gi after I decided that I wanted a 2nd gi to go easy on the laundry machine. I immediately pre-ordered it as I loved the looks and I wanted a light, but durable gi (pearl weave). The Series 2 is X-Guard's first public batch I believe, as the Series 1 was only for sponsored athletes.

The gi came with a Gi bag, an x-guard patch, and the uniform itself.

*Please do note that this gi review is for a used gi, not a brand new gi, I apologize for "ruffled up" gi.*
*Pictures were either taken off the X-guard website, or were taken with a terrible 6.0 MP camera*

Gi Bag

I instantly liked the Gi bag, the design was alright, I wasn't too fond of the of how the two men looked in the logo. However, the construction and durability of this gi bag is great, this is my go to sports backpack. The material of the bag is thick and strong and the ropes too, but the ropes are also soft, so that it doesn't bite into your shoulders when carrying heavier loads. It is important to note that the front pocketof the bag is waterproof, but the main compartment is NOT WATERPROOF, the bag is made with breathability in mind, which I guess is to air out the sweat soaked gi when you put it back in the bag after a training session. The gi bag has a very large zippable pocket and is waterproof however.

Sizing/Shrinkage
Size Height Weight
A0 5'2" - 5'5" 110 - 140
A1 5'5" - 5'8" 140 - 170
A2 5'8" - 6'1" 170 - 200
A3 6'1" - 6'4" 200 - 230
A4 6'4" - 6'6" 230 - 260
A5 6'6" - 6'9" 260 - 290
I bought an A2 as I was on the bottom end of the A2 scale, but didn't want the A3 as it may have been too big. The sizing of the gi fits me 100% perfectly, I could not have asked for a better gi fit. I am 5'9 and 165 pounds and the fit is perfect. If there is one negative thing that I have to mention, it would be that the gi skirt is a bit short, but then again, I am an inch over the suggested height and a short gi skirt isn't exactly a negative thing for other people.

The gi top when I first got it was fit very well, the small amount of shrinkage made it a perfect fit (of course washed in cold water and dryed with minimal heat). As for the gi pants, they were too long, but after several hot water washes and drying it in heat, it fits me very well now. For an idea of the gi pants's waist/height, I am a perfect 31-30 jean size, and this gi is basically a 3x-30 (x being a different number as there is a drawstring which allows you to adjust your waist size).

Colors
There are 3 designs in the Series 2 gis. There is the Xena, a White gi with pink stitching, and the Inferno, a white gi with either Red or Black stitching. In the Series 3 Gi, I believe the Killa Bee has a Black and Yellow stitching contrast and Tsunami, a White gi with Blue stitching contrast. I am reviewing the Series 2 Inferno with Black stitching, which contrasts quite well with the gi, although I would have liked red stitching as it would have stood out a bit more than black stitching.
Style and Design

The design is obviously based off the X-Guard in BJJ. The gi is not over-blinged but is not bland either. It is a decent mix of both to create a tasteful uniform. There are 4 major patches, the Series 2 patch, the X-Guard shoulder logo, The X-Guard trademark logo, and the Design logo, which depends on which gi you order (Xena, Inferno, Killa Bee, or Tsunami). The X-Guard shoulder logo and Inferno Logo appears to be not stitched on too well, and seems like it would rub off in a year or two.
The Contrast stitching looks great and seems consistent with that of Shoyoroll's and Ouano's.

Jacket

Back of the Gi Top, my camera could not detect the bottom right logo, but it’s the "inferno" design logo, the exact same on the pants.

The Gi Top is a 550 gsm pearl weave as advertised. The gi top is very comfortable and is quite soft. The arm cuffs appear to be cut a little bit shorter than normal, but not to the point that it is illegal, which is great for competition as it is more difficult for your sleeves to be grabbed. The Gi top fits me, 5'8 - 5'9 165 pounds perfectly.

Last edited:
Collar
The collar is my favorite thing about this gi, it is very, very thick yet isn't hard and appears to be injected with a squishy material (rubber/foam perhaps?)

The picture above shows the X-Guard, Kondyo, Gameness Pearl, and Toraki gi's respectively. As you can see, the X-Guard gi is the thickest, even thicker than the Toraki Gi. It is much thicker than the Gameness Pearl and Kondyo Single. Note the wrinkled white gi collars, which mean that they are made with some squishy material in them, the blue gi collars are perfectly straight and are made out of cotton I believe. I prefer the spongy type collars and will never go back to the other types of collars.

Sleeve

The sleeves are excellently made, with 4 lines of stitching, and extra reinforcement on the inside sleeve cuff. I would say that the inner sleeve cuff could have had a better design, but it does its job very well. The sleeve cuff circumference is just right. After several months with this gi, I have had no problems with the sleeve cuffs whatsoever.

Reinforcements

The reinforcements on the gi top is amazing. As you can see in the above picture, the gi top has 4 lines of stitching. It also has reinforcements in the side vent with extra black lining and stitching around the black lining. This gi has held up a lot better than my Kondyo gi, which happened to rip at the side vents, if only it had the same level of reinforcement this gi did

The Leg cuffs, like the sleeve cuffs on the gi, are very well made. I personally like the leg cuff construction better as the stitching is a bit straighter and it is more compact. As with the sleeve cuffs, I have had no issues with durability with this level of reinforcement.

This picture may look weird, but it's just the groin area of the gi pants flipped inside out. I did this to show the amount of reinforcement this gi has.
Customer Service
I would say the customer service is absolutely fantastic, whenever I had a question, I would get a response back within 12 hours. The owner is a very nice guy and when the Series 2 batch of gi's arrived late, he gave all the people who ordered the Series 2 gis an option of a free pair of grappling pants or a rashguard, with the latter being included in this review down the road. These guys listen to their customers and follow their mission statement: "At X-GUARD PERFORMANCE WEAR, we believe that fashion, quality, and performance go hand-in-hand. We listen to our customers, read reviews, and participate in the sport to help us continually push our LIMITED EDITION GIS and PERFORMANCE APPAREL to the next level." very well. Especially the listening to customers and reading reviews. They have fixed virtually all the Con's I will later mention.

Summary
This gi is great and can be used in any situation, I've used this gi is 100 degree plus weather and it breathes quite well. Whether you are training or competing, I feel that this gi holds up well, especially since it gives you the power of Marcelo Garcia :icon_twis. The Gi top is excellent, but the Gi bottom ripped on me within a month sadly, but its not really X-guards fault, my gi pants were slumping down as I didn't tie them on correctly and I did a jump to squat position from inside closed guard. I would say the material should have been better though.
Pro's
- Very well constructed Gi top
- Excellent level of reinforcements
- Good price, 140$~, new series I think is 119$ + shipping
- Tasteful designs
- Thick and squishy collar
- Top notch customer service
Con's
- Stitching isn't the best
- Gi Pants material isn't too good
- The men in the logo…….
- The stitching on the patches
What is interesting is that the X-guard owner immediately listened to these con's. Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought the same. When I sent him an email of complaint about the Con's, he told me that the XG3, the next batch of gi's, would have better contrast stitching, canvas material for pants, a changed logo in the x-guard patch (check the first picture), and double stitching on the patches. When I heard of these changes, I immediately got my hands on another X-guard gi (which apparently comes with a t-shirt also now, along with the patch and gi bag. I will post a review of the XG-3 Later. But for now. This X-guard gi works very well with my needs. I have been training with this 3-5 times a week for several months and it hasn't let me down yet.

Hope you enjoyed the review. Please inform me of any mistakes I've made in spelling or grammar. Feel free to ask questions, I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. The Rash guard review will come down the road, but I have never had a real rash guard before (I always used UA knockoffs, which don't count).

Last edited:
Good review man. You say the gi fits perfect and give your height, but you never mention what size you bought. That would help potential buyers/readers.

As far as the gi, my original thoughts still stand. The logos are butt ugly. If they would redesign and get a cool looking logo and label, and put that on a well constructed gi they would have a winner. Until then, uh-uh. One of the ugliest logos i've seen.

Great Review. the logos and designs look amazing! I ordered the XG-3 Killa Bee 1 month ago when they had their pre-sale for $109. I should get them soon.

Ahh, sorry, I bought an A2, I will edit my post right away. The fit is better than my Gameness Pearl. I personally feel that the newest logo (no one where the guy is standing with his arms in victory) is much better than the original one.

@dat1978 the logo I guess, depends on your taste, I would prefer just a guy standing in victory (not with those additional fingers as its fairly hard to replicate onto a shoulder patch), but it isn't bad. As for well constructed gi, I think this gi is pretty well constructed, but the newest series, the series 3, should knock it out of the water with the changes I mentioned in the review, e.g. better stitching and stronger pant material. Its all sold out now though.

Great Review. the logos and designs look amazing! I ordered the XG-3 Killa Bee 1 month ago when they had their pre-sale for $109. I should get them soon.

very suspect...

Ahh, sorry, I bought an A2, I will edit my post right away. The fit is better than my Gameness Pearl. I personally feel that the newest logo (no one where the guy is standing with his arms in victory) is much better than the original one.

@dat1978 the logo I guess, depends on your taste, I would prefer just a guy standing in victory (not with those additional fingers as its fairly hard to replicate onto a shoulder patch), but it isn't bad. As for well constructed gi, I think this gi is pretty well constructed, but the newest series, the series 3, should knock it out of the water with the changes I mentioned in the review, e.g. better stitching and stronger pant material. Its all sold out now though.

sure the logo is a matter of taste, that is, if you have good taste or bad, LOL!. seriously, that huge "X" is hideous.

What do you mean by suspect? Anyways, I guess you could look at it that way, that its not as elegant as the logo by say, Atama. I would say that my favorite patch is that X-Guard patch which just says X-Guard and their motto. To be honest, the logo shouldn't be the defining part of why you buy a gi, I like the fit and durability of it.
@MMA4LESS, yea I got my hands on the Killa Bee, I will review that down the road, was it really 109$? Last time I checked it was 119$.

LODD2: Nice review! Are the shoulder patches removable? I would seriously considering getting a gi from this company (especially the Tsunami...) if I didn't have an incoming Shoyoroll. :p

I am not sure, I am at work right now, I will see if they are removable later. All patches should be removable no? I mean its just stitched down with a lot of string. But I will check later. Funny, I also have the Shoyoroll Americana and Com padre coming down the road and I will compare it with the XG3/2. I will be selling the majority of the Shoyoroll's I ordered though (4)

What do you mean by suspect? Anyways, I guess you could look at it that way, that its not as elegant as the logo by say, Atama. I would say that my favorite patch is that X-Guard patch which just says X-Guard and their motto. To be honest, the logo shouldn't be the defining part of why you buy a gi, I like the fit and durability of it.
@MMA4LESS, yea I got my hands on the Killa Bee, I will review that down the road, was it really 109$? Last time I checked it was 119$.

unfortunately the majority of the time that someone comes on here and they have a post count of 1, and they are saying great things about a product they are usually connected with the company in some way. it happens alot and it is very annoying, especially when they get called out and then deny it. its easy to see what other posts they make on the forums and, of course, all of them bring up said product.

lodd2, no offense, a good review, but man do you have a life? i mean who has time to post such a long review. anyways, my girlfriend bought a xena gi (white/ pink stitch) and she's in love with the damn thing. then for father's day, she bought me the white/ with blue stitch (i don't remember the name)... i'm not a big fan of ropes, i like the more traditional style. but I really like the style and the logos. and also i trained in millennia (rancho cucam) about 2 1/2 years ago, and i like the interview they did with romie from millenia...

Last edited:
dat1978 The xguard gis don't really have too much stuff on them. I'm able to put all my Aliance pathes on them, no problem. The fuji logos, now that's hidious, that's why ur selling them right? lol

lodd2 I have them on my fb and they announced it like a month or 2 ago. It was for like the first week or something...

lodd2, no offense, a good review, but man do you have a life? i mean who has time to post such a long review. anyways, my girlfriend bought a xena gi (white/ pink stitch) and she's in love with the damn thing. then for father's day, she bought me the white/ with blue stitch (i don't remember the name)... i'm not a big fan of ropes, i like the more traditional style. but I really like the style and the logos. and also i trained in millennia (rancho cucam) about 2 1/2 years ago, and i like the interview they did with romie from millenia...

Ha, thanks, I was sidelined with an injury, I was trying to escape a d'arce choke while in half guard and I nearly climbed out of the guy's half guard when he extended his legs and choked, his legs were at the perfect position for a knee bar (freak accident placement) and when I tapped he released the choke first, then the knee, but the damage was done. Went to the doctor, put on a knee brace, but I can't run. So I am just chilling on sherdog and doing a review that I promised on another post to do.
Kalum, if I am correct you can also put a traditional rope through, you will probably have to buy it somewhere other than X-Guard.

I got the X-Guard 3, pretty good gi, almost done with the review, will post up!

Back