Yarde vs Kovalev

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Who is better and more of a threat to Kovalev. Eledier Alvarez or Yarde. I honestly think Yarde. Kovalev probably tries to box more because of Buddy yarde has to land something big which he can. I'd say 75-25 for yarde but the upset would not surprise me at all. and I'd be happy because I don't like Kovalev.

also hello to everyone it's been about 4 years but my ban was lifted.

Kov gets it done in the second half of the fight. Yarde is throwing around a lot of muscle, he will get tired

Kov gets it done in the second half of the fight. Yarde is throwing around a lot of muscle, he will get tired
Yeah that's the question I have over Yarde, he is built like a tank. Very few people with that much muscle have good endurance and Yarde has only ever been 7 rounds. If Kov can get through the early rounds and take him into deep waters he may be able to drown him. The pace of the fight will be critical, if Kov allows Yarde to box at his own pace then he might not tire.

agree about the muscle thing. this is a big step up for Yarde in competition, so you have to give him props to going to Russia for this fight.

but 51 rounds in 18 fights? Kov is still world class, don't even bring up what Ward did because that has nothing to do with Yarde. 2.83 round average per fight.

Kov is strong, stronger than he looks. I know this, but I always catch myself underestimating his power. Also, a seasoned vet that he is, he will probably take Yarde into deeper waters. Yarde will most definitely try to KO KOv - there is always a chance, but Kov is a long fighter. Think this was too soon for Yarde, but you have to love the risk.

Better would have been to give Yarde someone like Barrera, Chilemba, or even Pascal.

Eh, during my lunch break, I watched Yarde vs Sjekloca and Reeves. I am confident Kovalev will stop him. His reaction time is pretty bad (saw him get hit multiple times in both fights), and those guys would be ran over by Kova. Also Yarde keeps his mouth open?? Wtf is that about, dude is going to break his jaw eventually lol.

And look here, he is keeping his head up, chin out. He does it a lot in both fights I watched. Those habits are awful.

Kova will keep him at range and tire him out, eventually stopping him.

agree about the muscle thing. this is a big step up for Yarde in competition, so you have to give him props to going to Russia for this fight.

but 51 rounds in 18 fights? Kov is still world class, don't even bring up what Ward did because that has nothing to do with Yarde. 2.83 round average per fight.

Kov is strong, stronger than he looks. I know this, but I always catch myself underestimating his power. Also, a seasoned vet that he is, he will probably take Yarde into deeper waters. Yarde will most definitely try to KO KOv - there is always a chance, but Kov is a long fighter. Think this was too soon for Yarde, but you have to love the risk.

Better would have been to give Yarde someone like Barrera, Chilemba, or even Pascal.

Would like to have seen him fight Callum Johnson first. That is a decent step up on who he’s been in with and not a fight he definitely wins. But he’s got mandatory against the only guy he has half a chance against in this division, due to his age. I honestly don’t think he could pass up this opportunity

Pascal was the correct next step

Kovalev. This seems like a cash grab for Yarde's team.

I think Yarde is a little overrated because he’s athletic.

what about what Alvarez did sure Kovalev won the rematch in 8-4, 9-3 fashion but Kovalev had to use combos and put nothing on most of his shots. Yarde is better than Alvarez so this fight is legit even if I feel Kovalev wins. I've also watched probably more Alvarez fights than most here as I'm canadian and had access to watching them on tv.

what about what Alvarez did sure Kovalev won the rematch in 8-4, 9-3 fashion but Kovalev had to use combos and put nothing on most of his shots. Yarde is better than Alvarez so this fight is legit even if I feel Kovalev wins. I've also watched probably more Alvarez fights than most here as I'm canadian and had access to watching them on tv.
You think yarde is better than Alvarez?

You think yarde is better than Alvarez?
To be clear to you and anyone asking I mean Eledier Alvarez and I do. and Alvarez is my home country fighter and i've watched maybe all of his fights even the ones that were TBA until fight week.

No, I don't think there is any way that Yarde is better than Alvarez, definitely not where they stand currently. Kovalev can be outboxed, but Yarde is not someone that will outbox him. In that clip above, in addition to the chin up and hands up, Yarde has a lot of confidence in that defense but he doesn't seem to have good footwork. The plodding back foot is flat most times it seems, and he crosses it over, basically limiting when he can attack. He has great core strength and it seems like he is able to whip out his counters quickly, but he stands still with the counter. I doubt Kov will sit in the pocket, and even if he did, I still give Kovalev the advantage.

A lot of this has to do with experience - Eleider has gone 10 or more rounds plenty of times, and knows that sometimes fight just have to go the distance. Yarde has that youth, but his unfounded confidence in his muscle and his basic understanding of the shell defense without the diligent footwork that is needed will be very troublesome. If Yarde is unable to knock Kov out in the first few rounds, he is finished, and I really don't see that happening.

To be clear to you and anyone asking I mean Eledier Alvarez and I do. and Alvarez is my home country fighter and i've watched maybe all of his fights even the ones that were TBA until fight week.
How is yarde better then alvarez? Alvarez is pretty good

How is yarde better then alvarez? Alvarez is pretty good
I wouldn't really say so I just picked him to do well vs Kovalev in the first fight. but Kovalev tried soo hard for the ko that he punched himself out. Kovalev used B+ boxing skills to out box Alvarez. Alvarez is okay or good but I feel he doesn't have the same tools as yarde as Yarde is also athletic and strong. Alvarez has the better D but we dont know how good either chin is.

I'm hoping and expecting Kovalev will spark him out. We shall see, though. Nothing is guaranteed for him anymore and Father Time remains undefeated at eternity and 0.

Kovalev is unlikable and fading, but he was also an unbeaten killer until he came up against Andre Ward l, and decisively avenged his only other loss against Alvarez.

Yarde is a prospect being pushed way ahead of his European level experience.

Kovalev should dominate this fight.

You don't rush things or get sloppy against puncher that doesn't often go the distance. It plays right into his hands. It's why Frazier was tailor made for Foreman and why Ali didn't try to bounce around and let himself get tired when he waited of Foreman to exhaust himself.

Kovalev from Alvarez 1 loses. Kovalev from Alvarez 2 wins, potentially by stoppage. He needs to stay utterly composed from here on out. Too hard to get back in the mix at 35.

i think yarde is too stiff and is a bully. everyone he's fought looked like they were the venue's janitor.

i think people are selling kovalev way short. he's over the hill, but he's still a world class boxer.

I wouldn't really say so I just picked him to do well vs Kovalev in the first fight. but Kovalev tried soo hard for the ko that he punched himself out. Kovalev used B+ boxing skills to out box Alvarez. Alvarez is okay or good but I feel he doesn't have the same tools as yarde as Yarde is also athletic and strong. Alvarez has the better D but we dont know how good either chin is.
Yardes defense is shit, he fights like a robot, has zero head movement, and is relatively basic in his punch variety

He may blast out kovalev if kovalev has fallen off otherwise he loses

Alvarez probably beats Yarde

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back