Yarde vs Kovalev

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yardes defense is shit, he fights like a robot, has zero head movement, and is relatively basic in his punch variety

He may blast out kovalev if kovalev has fallen off otherwise he loses

Alvarez probably beats Yarde
I think you haven't see enough of Yarde, he has a wide variety of punches, he throws jabs, hooks, uppercuts, straights and body shots. He can move his head but he just hasn't had to versus most of his opponents. Even in that fight vs. Sjekloca posted above he slips a lot of the big shots his opponent throws and he rolls with a lot of punches. He's no defensive master but he's not shit. I think he's got a really good shot at stopping Kovalev with body shots.

Yarde I think he shocks Kov with some power and pressure enough to make him uncomfortable and blasts him out later.
kovalev doesn't seem to have the power he once did, yarde is an interesting one, one minute he looks like a killer the next he's gassing from doing very little. kovalev should have enough to get past him but i wouldn't be surprised to see yarde win.

Eh, during my lunch break, I watched Yarde vs Sjekloca and Reeves. I am confident Kovalev will stop him. His reaction time is pretty bad (saw him get hit multiple times in both fights), and those guys would be ran over by Kova. Also Yarde keeps his mouth open?? Wtf is that about, dude is going to break his jaw eventually lol.

And look here, he is keeping his head up, chin out. He does it a lot in both fights I watched. Those habits are awful.

Kova will keep him at range and tire him out, eventually stopping him.

the new age hanging the mouth open thing, is a pet hate of mine. it's not that funny, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Fight week is here...

Sergey Kovalev vs Anthony Yarde
Saturday, August 24, 2019 Traktor Arena in Chelyabinsk, Russia
BT Sport, ESPN

Kovalev-Yarde will stream live and exclusively in the United States on ESPN+, beginning at 12:30 p.m. ET/9:30 a.m. PT. The stream will also showcase the co-feature bout between unbeaten cruiserweight contender Aleksei Papin (11-0, 10 KOs) and former world title challenger Ilunga Makabu (25-2, 24 KOs).

Sergey Kovalev (33-3-1, 28 KOs) vs Anthony Yarde (18-0, 17 KOs) -

WBO Light Heavyweight Title

Kovalev by tko. I cannot see Yarde winning this, he has so much hype, but just isn't very good just yet.

After watching a couple Yarde fights, I think Kovalev gets by him.

Hmm, I am about to place a max unit bet on Yarde. Wish I got him at closer to +180.

I just read Yarde's trainer saying he wont have any sparring partners in prep for Kovalev, and never had previously.

That's crazy

Is harder the man to do it?
Alvarez got to Kova the first fight. I feel torn on the type of guy Kov is and if he will take that first loss to Alvarez as something to correct or more as he looks at it as just being caught and then fighting furiously in the rematch. Maybe he makes the same mistake in this match? I don’t know but I have never gotten the impression from kov that he was a gym rat or an always adapting strategist like a Floyd.

Agreed about the gym rat part.

Kovalev's million excuses about John David Jackson just sounded to me like laziness on Kovalev's part and redirecting the blame

Wierd fight this one, Yarde just doesnt look good enough, but Kov looks like a bit of a spent force.

Going to be interesting, certainly not a fight to put money on.

The more i watch yarde the less confident i am in him. Maybe he blasts him early i dunno

I think Kovalev is a bridge too far for Yarde at this point

Listening to an interview with Yarde’s trainer and his “system 9” approach (limited sparring, no roadwork, ‘amazing gains’) he sounds like a charlatan (but hey, he coached Kevin Mitchell and he’s got an app to teach you combinations!).

Can’t see anything other than a Kovalev annihilation of Yarde.

Listening to an interview with Yarde’s trainer and his “system 9” approach (limited sparring, no roadwork, ‘amazing gains’) he sounds like a charlatan (but hey, he coached Kevin Mitchell and he’s got an app to teach you combinations!).

Can’t see anything other than a Kovalev annihilation of Yarde.

Agreed, Yarde is cack and is getting found out big time in this fight. Unless Kovalev is completely washed up.... mmmmmmmmm???

Kovalev by tko. I cannot see Yarde winning this, he has so much hype, but just isn't very good just yet.

He hasn’t got any hype dude? A few casuals May see him as a ko artist but very few are giving him a chance against a shot Kovalev
He’s not been boxing very long either so he is still improving. I think he has a decent punchers chance based on Kovalevs recent performances

I already thought that Kovalev was going to stop him... and that was before hearing that Yarde isn't sparring or doing road work??

<1>

I already thought that Kovalev was going to stop him... and that was before hearing that Yarde isn't sparring or doing road work??

<1>

He isn’t ? If Kovalev did his homework he’ll spank Yarde like a red-haired stepchild.

I don't agree with the general consensus.
Yarde looks determined and ready to fight. That mental approach alone should make it a tough & competitive fight for Kovalev.

Back