Ycm sparring 9 (hard)

Good work, nice defence, more punishment to the body of your opponent, you have the skill to get through, some have hard heads but less have a strong body to take punishment.

You did seem to walk in as if it was just a spar, when the other guy seemed to think otherwise?

how many fights have you had now? It can take a while for your style to pop out. dont look for it, just fight and see what happens, your style will eventually shine through, youll then recognize it. Once thats done, youll know your strengths, I would suggest then working on your weakness. For myself personally, my style is muay khao, lots of knees, and lets bring the fight......so I have been working on the outside game and my boxing to be more well rounded.
3 amateur fights in 2013 and since then I've been on a lay off in actual competition due to life problems
Yep I already know thats how it is going to go. I'll see what has the most success for me and be molded around that as I get more experience. Right now I'm not looking for any kind of style, I try to remind myself to box on my toes regularly but I always end up putting pressure and coming forward unless my corner keeps me focused on what I've been taught to do.

It's 2 things as to why I'm like this now ( I wasn't at all before, I used to be a counter puncher who boxed off the back foot and would look for pot shots )
1: My life experiences have made me know for certain I've endured tougher than anything I can in the boxing ring, and I almost subconsciously put that energy in there, they feel every bit of what I've endured in the form of my style. ( I always think to myself, go back 2 years and realize how much of a cakewalk all this is compared to that in terms of pain and suffering, and mental destruction ). My body didn't quit on me in ways that it could have so I know it won't quit on me when things get rough in there. Boxing is 90% mental, and knowing what actual suffering is like, this is nothing. I think this translated a lot into my style.

2: I see how people react to my punches when they get hit. If I see they are very uncomfortable getting hit by me, and start disengaging or showing any signs of fear/breaking down, a predatory switch kicks in where I abuse the gifts I've been given. Even when I'm just working with ppl, I'll throw medium but still if I see they are afraid of what is coming, I won't stop making them uncomfortable by never taking a step back and giving the sense of danger they are showing signs of fearing.

Next vid I'm going to make a point to box on my toes though and outbox thoroughly - its sadly somehow becoming a weakness of mine and I need to get sharp again with being slick and using my footwork for when I need to use it

I thought you looked sharp. He was pushing the pace but you weather the storm. Came on in the second.

I'd like more uppercuts I know that's not really your mo but adding a lead uppercut after the cross or hook works great on tight guard fighters.

After seeing the vid, I was kicking myself for not throwing more uppercuts. They were there all day against that type of guard, and I was missing my overhand and even my straight a few times cuz he would duck straight down. I should have been through the hook to the body left uppercut, then the right uppercut to head to the hook to the body, and repeating. uppercuts all day against that type of guard.

In the 1st round I was thinking this was still sparring and was trying to warm up lol ( I don't warm up before sparring I always do it in the ring to force myself to not go try and blitz whoever my sparring partner is ), 2nd round I was laughing in my head a bit because I was thinking, will this guy keep this aggressive energy when he feels my own punch? I'm not someone to just run over I don't believe, and obviously we see the result once I started throwing heat back. Boy was trying to put me out in the beginning of the 2nd, to which I was thinking as well, U can only do this for so long, u better pray u hurt me to the point where I can't continue because all my good conscious and nice guy stuff and the proper "its just sparring" mentality just became obsolete after u tried to come at me like that and typically I put guys out with the types of shots I was hitting him with - so mad respect to his toughness. Granted, if u noticed, I never really did get to land one of my shots proper on his chin and was taking a decent amount of steam off of them with his guard and subtle rolling with the punches movement. As well as going under some sleeper overhand rights I tried to land.

I didn't realize this was considered a fight and not sparring until the beginning of the 2nd round. Otherwise I thought it was gonna be some good hard work but no all out try and put the other guy out type of stuff.

I didn't really talk to anybody there at all, my buddy that I work with down here took me there and told me not to talk to anybody or be friendly cuz we are just here for work. I know the crowd of ppl, the ppl cheering with beers and all that and all the phones threw me off, then I had guys over here talking about fights and I'm just like ?? Right, if u call sparring fights then more power to ya. It's not on my book so this is just sparring to me.

Not to mention, even if a guy does want to fight like that in sparring, it's not often someone is strong like that and can actually do some damage to me. Caught me off guard with how much experience he has. + had 12lbs on me at the time which for a "fight" isn't the most fair thing.

Nice. You showed him who is the boss. He did not like it when you came out ready to trade in the 2nd round.

Most guys who are used to being the more talented individual with power and strength typically don't take well to a guy who is willing to challenge that aspect of their game I've noticed. As soon as he felt my first hook I threw for real I saw his whole mentality change - aswell as his coaches and the crowd cheering for him.
Still gonna get a vid for u to try and show u what I can for ur own hook

Good work, nice defence, more punishment to the body of your opponent, you have the skill to get through, some have hard heads but less have a strong body to take punishment.

You did seem to walk in as if it was just a spar, when the other guy seemed to think otherwise?

Definitely shoulda gone to the body a bit more.

Well that is exactly what happened, I looked at it as sparring when apparently these were unofficial fights. I didn't quite get the M.O. until the 2nd round once he started trying to bulldoze me over.

even hard sparring in other gyms, I'm not an advocate of hurting guys in something that is just sparring. For what? For real, for what reason? So I always hold back on certain shots out of that just being who my character is. In the 2nd, that failsafe turned off and I was looking to spark him

Good for him tho, he took my shots & responded back every time. The left hook body counter I hit him with in the 2nd surprised the hell out of me that he took it though. 16's or not I went under the right perfectly and thought I placed hook perfectly on his liver, but it's not normal to just be able to drop top level guys. Especially the Mexican style TJ fighters here, they resurrect from headshots.

Cool to watch good people like you and Lucas Cordini. Where do you live

3 amateur fights in 2013 and since then I've been on a lay off in actual competition due to life problems
Yep I already know thats how it is going to go. I'll see what has the most success for me and be molded around that as I get more experience. Right now I'm not looking for any kind of style, I try to remind myself to box on my toes regularly but I always end up putting pressure and coming forward unless my corner keeps me focused on what I've been taught to do.

It's 2 things as to why I'm like this now ( I wasn't at all before, I used to be a counter puncher who boxed off the back foot and would look for pot shots )
1: My life experiences have made me know for certain I've endured tougher than anything I can in the boxing ring, and I almost subconsciously put that energy in there, they feel every bit of what I've endured in the form of my style. ( I always think to myself, go back 2 years and realize how much of a cakewalk all this is compared to that in terms of pain and suffering, and mental destruction ). My body didn't quit on me in ways that it could have so I know it won't quit on me when things get rough in there. Boxing is 90% mental, and knowing what actual suffering is like, this is nothing. I think this translated a lot into my style.

2: I see how people react to my punches when they get hit. If I see they are very uncomfortable getting hit by me, and start disengaging or showing any signs of fear/breaking down, a predatory switch kicks in where I abuse the gifts I've been given. Even when I'm just working with ppl, I'll throw medium but still if I see they are afraid of what is coming, I won't stop making them uncomfortable by never taking a step back and giving the sense of danger they are showing signs of fearing.

Next vid I'm going to make a point to box on my toes though and outbox thoroughly - its sadly somehow becoming a weakness of mine and I need to get sharp again with being slick and using my footwork for when I need to use it

After seeing the vid, I was kicking myself for not throwing more uppercuts. They were there all day against that type of guard, and I was missing my overhand and even my straight a few times cuz he would duck straight down. I should have been through the hook to the body left uppercut, then the right uppercut to head to the hook to the body, and repeating. uppercuts all day against that type of guard.

In the 1st round I was thinking this was still sparring and was trying to warm up lol ( I don't warm up before sparring I always do it in the ring to force myself to not go try and blitz whoever my sparring partner is ), 2nd round I was laughing in my head a bit because I was thinking, will this guy keep this aggressive energy when he feels my own punch? I'm not someone to just run over I don't believe, and obviously we see the result once I started throwing heat back. Boy was trying to put me out in the beginning of the 2nd, to which I was thinking as well, U can only do this for so long, u better pray u hurt me to the point where I can't continue because all my good conscious and nice guy stuff and the proper "its just sparring" mentality just became obsolete after u tried to come at me like that and typically I put guys out with the types of shots I was hitting him with - so mad respect to his toughness. Granted, if u noticed, I never really did get to land one of my shots proper on his chin and was taking a decent amount of steam off of them with his guard and subtle rolling with the punches movement. As well as going under some sleeper overhand rights I tried to land.

I didn't realize this was considered a fight and not sparring until the beginning of the 2nd round. Otherwise I thought it was gonna be some good hard work but no all out try and put the other guy out type of stuff.

I didn't really talk to anybody there at all, my buddy that I work with down here took me there and told me not to talk to anybody or be friendly cuz we are just here for work. I know the crowd of ppl, the ppl cheering with beers and all that and all the phones threw me off, then I had guys over here talking about fights and I'm just like ?? Right, if u call sparring fights then more power to ya. It's not on my book so this is just sparring to me.

Not to mention, even if a guy does want to fight like that in sparring, it's not often someone is strong like that and can actually do some damage to me. Caught me off guard with how much experience he has. + had 12lbs on me at the time which for a "fight" isn't the most fair thing.

Most guys who are used to being the more talented individual with power and strength typically don't take well to a guy who is willing to challenge that aspect of their game I've noticed. As soon as he felt my first hook I threw for real I saw his whole mentality change - aswell as his coaches and the crowd cheering for him.
Still gonna get a vid for u to try and show u what I can for ur own hook

i agree with everything you have said, so much of it is mental. You look very good and also strong. the hook at 2:59 was great. Trying to work your jab more, specifically once the action really started happening, might help you stay on your toes and "box" more. I can totally relate to life problems, its something we all face, we all have a life outside of the gym, and priorities and responsibilities that get in the way of the gym. My largest roadblocks in life that kept me away from the gym were financial difficulties. A roof over your head is more important than gym, and many times I did not have a roof over my head. I always think to myself what I coulda shoulda woulda but didnta of I came from a stable house hold with the financial support that I see so many others with, not everyone gets the same opportunities though. To really get to a high level, its almost a requirement, not impossible, but quite difficult to

You are making progress but you still get hit way too much. I see less holes offensively. You do well having him on the ropes, you pull the trigger well, nice snap. That guy wasn't a technical or finesse fighter at all and he still clipped you a lot, and seemed to be getting on a roll.

The scoring system at least as pro heavily favors power shots. You really need to cut down on eating too many those

Nice working the body when he was up against the ropes. Good composure. You are not quite there yet, gotta get the defense in place.

You are making progress but you still get hit way too much. I see less holes offensively. You do well having him on the ropes, you pull the trigger well, nice snap. That guy wasn't a technical or finesse fighter at all and he still clipped you a lot, and seemed to be getting on a roll.

The scoring system at least as pro heavily favors power shots. You really need to cut down on eating too many those

Nice working the body when he was up against the ropes. Good composure. You are not quite there yet, gotta get the defense in place.

Ill never say me getting hit too much is bad critique because it's true, I shouldn't get hit at all let alone let a guy start landing with me consistently.

It's a bit more difficult dealing with a guy who throws with your offense though, every time I'd punch he would punch with me, and the guy isn't a light puncher by any means, so I had to start landing some heavier things to dissuade that aspect of his game. I just need to work on my boxing skills overall - right now I use my offense to run guys down but clearly when a guy punches back it can make me look bad. Its a mental thing that I'll continue to work to fix - its just very difficult for me to give ground because once someone is in punching range for me, I always look at it like they are at the disadvantage even though I may just be disadvantaging myself.

Although in terms of him getting on a roll - I thought the longer it went on it became clearer who was more dangerous. He had his moment but once I showed him what happens when I hit back, the roll got shot down. Literally threw one left hook and his whole gameplan and energy changed 100%

Although in terms of him getting on a roll - I thought the longer it went on it became clearer who was more dangerous. He had his moment but once I showed him what happens when I hit back, the roll got shot down. Literally threw one left hook and his whole gameplan and energy changed 100%

Against him. What if you face someone technically better? Doesn't have to be by much. When the defense is sharpened you will win the fights you are supposed to win, always. There won't be knockdowns followed by the dude turning the tables. At best, he is going to have to perform the fight of his life.

Like I wrote, you take care of business offensively, I don't really worry about that.

Against him. What if you face someone technically better? Doesn't have to be by much. When the defense is sharpened you will win the fights you are supposed to win, always. There won't be knockdowns followed by the dude turning the tables. At best, he is going to have to perform the fight of his life.

Like I wrote, you take care of business offensively, I don't really worry about that.
technique has 0% to do with heart or punch resistance, but you are kinda right, he is leaving himself a little bit open to inferior opponents.

technique has 0% to do with heart or punch resistance, but you are kinda right, he is leaving himself a little bit open to inferior opponents.

just gotta keep working on it all.

He did have very good timing and placement on the counter right hand off my own right, but otherwise the other shots I was being hit with were bs wild shots that I got no business being caught by. Going to continue to work on sharpening it all up. It is good to have "Sparring" like that where a guy will throw when I throw - because so often when I'm punching, I feel untouchable cuz it halts all of my opponents offense usually because they don't want to risk being caught by my power shots. That is obviously far from true as I was caught by some looping shots in the middle of me building my offense that could potentially hurt me and shift full momentum. So the best defense is your offense rule won't always work. Just gotta keep learning.

Sr., wouldn't be a fan of the style I'm falling into, I know that. Need my bounce back in my feet. Going to go reunite with him for a bit soon to make him sharpen everything up for me again from a boxing standpoint.

technique has 0% to do with heart or punch resistance, .

No doubt, It's all bullshit without the mental part of it and resistance. And I'm not saying YCM is lacking those things either. But that doesn't mean he can't still lose a fight that he was once winning, even though he will not neccesarily get Koed.

All that matters in the end is who ate more of the big shots. Not how many you can take.

No doubt, It's all bullshit without the mental part of it and resistance. And I'm not saying YCM is lacking those things either. But that doesn't mean he can't still lose a fight that he was once winning, even though he will not neccesarily get Koed.

All that matters in the end is who ate more of the big shots. Not how many you can take.

That's true, you can't leave a fight up to the judges every time that's why you got to go for the kill. Cause you know how that shit goes from past pro boxing fights especially when pacquiaos fights were bull shit decision losses.

I don't agree with that first statement at all.

I don't agree with that first statement at all.
I know I'm definitely aware I gotta keep my chin tucked better when in the middle of exchanges.. big no no on my part

There is 1000% a way to roll with punches and take steam off them (guy I was boxing was good with that). Does he have a really good chin, or did he just know how to mitigate power off my shots? Most likely the ladder is the culprit.

So yeah, I agree technique and punch resistance go hand in hand.

There is definitely a genetic factor though - all things equal and body positioning the same, some guys just can't take a shot while others can't be knocked out it appears atleast.

your right, correct posture does has an affect on resilience, but none on heart.

Nah I don't agree with that, either.

"Heart" as people tend to define it in response to combat...is some mythical thing. And in some ways it is, but IMO it's all about knowing a student and how their confidence is or isn't built. How you communicate the ability to perform technique, and then utilize it, as well as training under pressure, that can facilitate what you refer to as "heart."

As an example, Daijon used to hate sparring certain people. He'd often take a knee against them just to get them to leave him alone. A feature most trainers would refer to as "no heart." After being able to build his confidence a significant degree, he not only was able to last the required number of rounds with those same guys, but was also jaw-jacking with them and call them on.

Another example, the original formation of Seal Team 6 was not of elite former olympians who you typically see flying through BUDS. The creator of them specifically asked for the guys who barely made the required numbers. When later asked why, he stated because they understood failing and wouldn't be too moved by it. He said only those who had been through the harshest aspects of NOT being good enough, could survive what it took to build the elite of the elite. The top tier performers who tried to exude "the stuff" it took to be special forces, they'd crumble the fastest when their self-images were shattered. I've seen similar stuff in boxing.

In both cases what is it the student has confidence in at the end of the day? Do they feel they unlocked the mythical "heart" thing? Or do they feel they've just repeated technical aspects of training so well that they finally realize what they're capable of? And when they realize that, it's almost always more than they think, which leads to them just no longer being intimidated by conflict.

I know I'm definitely aware I gotta keep my chin tucked better when in the middle of exchanges.. big no no on my part

There is 1000% a way to roll with punches and take steam off them (guy I was boxing was good with that). Does he have a really good chin, or did he just know how to mitigate power off my shots? Most likely the ladder is the culprit.

So yeah, I agree technique and punch resistance go hand in hand.

There is definitely a genetic factor though - all things equal and body positioning the same, some guys just can't take a shot while others can't be knocked out it appears atleast.

There's even more nuances than that. Guys like Diego Corrales and Juan Manuel Marquez can be hurt, and floored, but they fight you twice as hard if you manage to do that to them. However, we're talking about world level fighters who were thoroughly built under good systems. They didn't wake up one morning like that, it took years of forging. And the funny thing is both those guys are huge crybabies verbally.

Ben Tackie is one of the toughest fighters I ever saw. When asked about WHY he's so tough he told of being part of the "Ga" tribe in his home Country of Ghana. He has tribal scarring from where they cut your face as a child so you know pain. And he stated he was raised by his Grandmother, the youngest of 5 or 6 Brothers. He said she used to cook food and put it on a huge saucer with 6 smaller plates around it, then told all the boys to go outside. They'd all scrap, the ones who did best got to eat in first order. He said being the smallest he was always knocked down quickly and most often. Then he found his way to a boxing gym and a couple of years later, he was always first to eat.

Toughness, heart, whatever you want to call it can definitely be built.

Nah I don't agree with that, either.

"Heart" as people tend to define it in response to combat...is some mythical thing. And in some ways it is, but IMO it's all about knowing a student and how their confidence is or isn't built. How you communicate the ability to perform technique, and then utilize it, as well as training under pressure, that can facilitate what you refer to as "heart."

As an example, Daijon used to hate sparring certain people. He'd often take a knee against them just to get them to leave him alone. A feature most trainers would refer to as "no heart." After being able to build his confidence a significant degree, he not only was able to last the required number of rounds with those same guys, but was also jaw-jacking with them and call them on.

Another example, the original formation of Seal Team 6 was not of elite former olympians who you typically see flying through BUDS. The creator of them specifically asked for the guys who barely made the required numbers. When later asked why, he stated because they understood failing and wouldn't be too moved by it. He said only those who had been through the harshest aspects of NOT being good enough, could survive what it took to build the elite of the elite. The top tier performers who tried to exude "the stuff" it took to be special forces, they'd crumble the fastest when their self-images were shattered. I've seen similar stuff in boxing.

In both cases what is it the student has confidence in at the end of the day? Do they feel they unlocked the mythical "heart" thing? Or do they feel they've just repeated technical aspects of training so well that they finally realize what they're capable of? And when they realize that, it's almost always more than they think, which leads to them just no longer being intimidated by conflict.
great reply and i certainly agree with you too a degree, i think "heart" can be improved just like punching power.
but i believe in the old adage the punchers are born not made, just like i believe true "heart" is inherent in someones nature, it can be improved but can't be "taught". i am a strong believer in this because my brother learnt to fight on the job, but always took the most solid hidings even when he new nothing.

Back