Yesterday did my first ever bjj Session in a real bjj gym.

Cool. Just curious-- your flair says pro fighter. Kickboxer? If MMA I would assume you'd be at high blue belt level from day 1, at least no-gi.

I submitted a black belt and after that the dude stop being nice to me so i stop practicing BJJ.

am still a white belt but is not my fault that I obsessed for 3 months watching Eddie bravo tutorials.
We all believe you.

Cool. Just curious-- your flair says pro fighter. Kickboxer? If MMA I would assume you'd be at high blue belt level from day 1, at least no-gi.

How can you say that he would be blue belt if you have no idea how long he did MMA?

MMA gyms have pure BJJ classes, including GI

Bjj changed my life when I started 6 years ago. Been training 5-6 days a week since then.

Honestly not just the training but the friendships you form. As adults we work then home and the social aspects of our lives get lost. BJJ is like going to see your friends each day. The closest friends I ever had are at my gym now.

So i kinda have wanted to do it for 10 years or so. And i finaly got to join a bjj beginner class at bodø jiu jitsu.

We went into the class with a open mind and a very humble beginner attitude. Because that is what we are. I had a friend with me. He is a karate black belt with no bjj or judo experience.

But yeah.. it was super fun! Very cool to get the feeling of being brand new at a martial art again.

And all the guys there was super nice and friendly to get two total beginners to visit.

So yeah. The gym is just less then two hours drive from here. So i have just ordered my first ever gi online.

<GinJuice>

Nice. How often do you plan on training bjj? Are you still going to train your striking? Any plans on become the striking coach for the bjj gym? I see that happening a lot at bjj places here in the states.

How can you say that he would be blue belt if you have no idea how long he did MMA?

MMA gyms have pure BJJ classes, including GI

If he were a pro MMA fighter without at least blue belt LEVEL (not blue BELT, just that level) BJJ, that would be suicide unless his TDD and ability to scramble back to his feet were ridiculous.

[
If he were a pro MMA fighter without at least blue belt LEVEL (not blue BELT, just that level) BJJ, that would be suicide unless his TDD and ability to scramble back to his feet were ridiculous.

You forgot the "at least" part in your post.

Nice. How often do you plan on training bjj? Are you still going to train your striking? Any plans on become the striking coach for the bjj gym? I see that happening a lot at bjj places here in the states.

At this point i dont really know. But yes we will keep going back once a week or once every 2nd week to train with them. We are also going to do some "noob rolling" at the end of our normal training session at our own gym.

My yes striking will still be the main thing at our gym. For sure.

Yes, no-gi, if he were a pro MMA fighter. Because otherwise it would be suicide
I disagree with that. There are some pretty big differences between MMA and BJJ, enough that a guy can be ok in MMA but be very much a white belt on the ground in pure BJJ - just knowing enough about grappling to survive in MMA.

I disagree with that. There are some pretty big differences between MMA and BJJ, enough that a guy can be ok in MMA but be very much a white belt on the ground in pure BJJ - just knowing enough about grappling to survive in MMA.
Let's have some examples then. You should be able to come up with a few pro mma fighters who, rolling no-gi, don't have blue belt level skills.

I'll wait.

Enjoy being submitted by nearly everyone and don't think it's because you aren't good at it. I mean you aren't good at it at first LOL .. One guy especially comes to mind where i train that after i roll with him he looks like he lost his best friend. He gets so upset that he can't submit me. I keep telling him that I have 15 years on the mats and what would you think if you just walked right in and started submitting every brown belt Haha

Let's have some examples then. You should be able to come up with a few pro mma fighters who, rolling no-gi, don't have blue belt level skills.

I'll wait.

This thread is about two experts in non-grappling martial arts trying a BJJ class for the first time...not sure why this debate is relevant?

Used to have a guy at an old gym who was thrown a blue belt after 6 months of BJJ, but in those months he had gone 3-0 as an amateur in mma winning via submissions and top control. And he was at the gym 5-6 days a week working on that and his Muay Thai.

But he also wrestled in high school for a few years.

Back