You couldn't pay me enough to be a teacher

I considered teaching when I left the military. There was (is?) a program that would subsidize the education and certification required in exchange for a few years in inner city school districts. The pay was ridiculously low (I think the program even supplemented pay for the time frame, still low) and the thought of dealing with those sort of confrontations daily with no respect killed that idea in less than a week.

All I want to know if WTF is with the blue hat?!?!?! That's some genie looking shit.

Bout as accurate as a blind man in the dark with a paper bag over his head

I had a job teaching* in a school for wards of the state when I was about 23. Ages 5-14. Many of them crack babies.
Fights happened all the time, every day.

I literally used jiu jitsu daily to restrain kids, if it was just one kid going off the rails I would get to their back, straight jacket hold their arms and throw hooks in if they were still resisting. I learned quick to pin my head against theirs to prevent headbutts.

If the kids acting crazy outnumbered the adults you gotta let em go, otherwise you will catch a book to the face while restraining a kid (literally saw that happen to a teacher).

So one day these kids go at it in class. They were bigger, older kids and the guard in the classroom (only other adult besides me) wasn’t getting involved. So that means more kids off the rails than adults in the room, so we let them go.

Decent little scrap. They both did the ghetto kung fu boxing stance with their elbows way up (blocking nothing) and threw hands, landing nothing of substance until this kid lost his balance and the other kid slammed his face into the air conditioner. BAMN.

It was memorable.

*teaching= trying to get thru the day without anyone bleeding or leaving school property.

If I was just in that class, I'd be thinking I was fucking up and would start studying

I learned quick to pin my head against theirs to prevent headbutts..

I have to do this with my daughter when we are rough housing. She instinctively headbutts and after the first i realized how important this technique is for anyone spazzing. Underrated move imo.

I have to do this with my daughter when we are rough housing. She instinctively headbutts and after the first i realized how important this technique is for anyone spazzing. Underrated move imo.
One reverse headbutt to the nose or mouth will learn ya that lesson real quick.

It makes me respect security guards, cops, prison employees, etc. ... when a person is flipping out and irrationally flailing around it is very hard to deal with that in a manner where no one gets hurt, especially if that person has no regard for your safety or their own.

Back