You Guys Strain Your Backs Often While Hitting The Bag?

PCP319

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I dunno if it's cause I kinda squeeze/elevate my trap when I throw my hooks, but I strain my back pretty often when hitting the heavy bag. Of course, this affects training, and I don't want that at all, so kinda just wondering if this happens to anyone else, and if so, if you've found a solution for it, because I'm assuming it's a form error.

Got any video of you training?
You shouldn't be hurting yourself.

Sounds like you're just too tight.
Relax. Get a massage, then go and give the bag a try.

Hmm, probably can't get any video today, but I'll try. Could it be because I tend to throw a fair amount of shovel hooks, which, based on the movement pattern, would elevate my traps?

I throw A TON of hooks in general in training, so perhaps it's just overuse. While I don't have a coach there to correct me, I DO believe I'm hooking with proper form, so maybe I just need to chill out and not try to throw 100% on every punch (even though it's exhilarating).

Thats funny you say that, as i experience this.

Ive always had all sorts of back trouble, through my job, and bad weightlifting technique when younger etc, but since being able to go back to gyms etc here, ive incorporated more heavy bag work, trying to get more into boxing while BJJ cant resume yet, and i have been major tight or sore in different regions of my back.

Im probably going to cut back a little on the heavy hitting and just try more speed drills etc over the next week and see if its any better.

Ive booked in for a massage next week too.

Thats funny you say that, as i experience this.

Ive always had all sorts of back trouble, through my job, and bad weightlifting technique when younger etc, but since being able to go back to gyms etc here, ive incorporated more heavy bag work, trying to get more into boxing while BJJ cant resume yet, and i have been major tight or sore in different regions of my back.

Im probably going to cut back a little on the heavy hitting and just try more speed drills etc over the next week and see if its any better.

Ive booked in for a massage next week too.
Where do you usually feel it? Hard to tell sometimes, but feels like my rhomboids. I'm guessing it's just from overuse, or pulling my punches back too hard.

Could it be your technique needing some correction? You shouldn't be hurting your back when you throw hooks into the heavy bag. May be worthwhile getting a private session with a qualified boxing coach to finetune yoir technique before you damage something in your back as the pain is a warning sign from your body that something is not right.

Only time my back has been sore when hitting the bag is from a pre existing injury, never as a direct result of hitting it. Are you talking lower back or upper back?

I dunno if it's cause I kinda squeeze/elevate my trap when I throw my hooks, but I strain my back pretty often when hitting the heavy bag. Of course, this affects training, and I don't want that at all, so kinda just wondering if this happens to anyone else, and if so, if you've found a solution for it, because I'm assuming it's a form error.
I try to do what is called "flow" on the bag. Combinations in proper form with particular focus on distance, balance, footwork and proper technique. That does not mean stiff. It means relaxed and balanced. There is a misconception that tension creates power in boxing. Unlike weightlifting, power in boxing is created by relaxation and explosion-like jumping from a relaxed standing position as opposed to lifting weights. I have boxed for 44 of my 57 years and still must concentrate on relaxation in training.

That sounds serious. Stop boxing it's a useless skill anyway. Learn muay thai. The kicking will fix your back. I've heard some pros say they have a TON of pain unless they do muay thai and then it goes away for days after kicking.

That sounds serious. Stop boxing it's a useless skill anyway. Learn muay thai. The kicking will fix your back. I've heard some pros say they have a TON of pain unless they do muay thai and then it goes away for days after kicking.
Can't do MT. Blood clots in every major vein in my left leg. One good kick to it, or one kick to someone else with it, could break off a clot and send it to my lungs, giving me a pulmonary embolism.

Definitely not gonna stop boxing, though. I love it!

Can't do MT. Blood clots in every major vein in my left leg. One good kick to it, or one kick to someone else with it, could break off a clot and send it to my lungs, giving me a pulmonary embolism.

Woah! Sounds like you already have some serious problems. Well then just take it easy on the bag and don't strain yourself. Work more volume instead power

Boxing isn't useless, it's one of the best/practical martial arts there is. And you're actually pretty good - just be sure you're taking care of yourself - it might be worth seeing a physio therapist of some sort, because we can't really help you on this

The fact that you have such a serious issue makes it possible that you may have some kind of pre existing muscular imbalance or condition also. You should see a physiotherapist who is good at human movement and can analyse to see what is wrong and give you exercises to remedy it. Whatever it is, kudos to you for doing a serious martial sport like boxing whole many people in your position would take it easy and get weaker.

Well I dont know your medical history but with such a problem I guess you are on blood thinners which , depending on the medication (Xareltoetc) really means not even light sparring also in boxing. A brain bleed could be terminal. Just keep that in mind.

Regarding your injury like Sanserif recommended I would seek out someone specialized in movement screening to identify any pathologic patterns that may have developed because of your injury. For example someone competent in www.functionalmovement.com screening .
Doesnt have to be a physiotherapist. There are also very good sports and fitness coaches trained in this.

Back