195 lbs
57 years old.

Last edited:
9-18-15 (5)

Dead Lift:
335 lbs, 5 x 3

Leg Press:
250 lbs, 6 x 6

Finally able to get back into the gym after a long trip up into the mountains of Colorado for a family reunion.
Felt really solid tonight, probably due to the long period of time off.

11-10-15 (7)

Had a good talk with the trainer at the gym. Dude is pretty chill.
He's going to look at my form the next time I dead lift, but he said from what he's seen it looks fine to him.
He actually recommended that I exam things like my diet, sleep, recovery, mental focus, and confidence. A light bulb went off, and I felt like he had hit on something. I've been using technique as an excuse. Holy shit.

After that there was this smaller guy squatting 335 lbs for reps and after he was done I asked what program he was following, he said a kind of 5 x 5. He also mentioned a power lifting meet in my region in March. I'm going to sign up for that.

BOR
135 lbs, 5 x 10

I felt sick when I was done with this. I went home and slept for about 3 hours. Not sure what the deal was, but I am better now.

12-11-15 (4)

Bench:
225 lbs, 5 x 3

Squat:
225 lbs, 4 x 3

I've worked 9 days in a row, 10-11 hour shifts. One more shift tomorrow and then I get three days off in a row. Hoping to catch up on some gym time!

9-20-15 (6)

Bench:
235 lbs, 4 x 3

Triceptual Push-downs:
6 x 6

DB Curlz:
6 x 6

11-13-15 (8)

Went to the gym with an attitude.

DL:
Didn't record the lifts, but I worked up incrementally over about 40 minutes to
405 lbs x 1. I was determined to get that tonight to keep my confidence up.
It was a relatively smooth pull, so I went for a 420 PR but couldn't get it.

Benching, deadlifting and squating on this page. Throw in some ufcing and you'd have a log

9-21-15 (7)

Squat:
285 lbs x 2
285 lbs x 2
285 lbs x 2
285 lbs x 2
285 lbs x 1
285 lbs x 1
285 lbs x 1
285 lbs x 1

30 minute trail run

Just dropping in to say hello , happy holidays... Could be a few more years again before I login again, hope all is good brother !

12-13-15 (5)

DL:
Warm up
225 lbs x 3
225 lbs x 3
Working sets
275 lbs x 3
315 lbs x 3
335 lbs x 3
335 lbs x 3
365 lbs x 1
385 lbs x 1

Midmo, talked to a guy at the gym today who apparently used to train UFC before prison time derailed his chances at a career. Does that count?

Edit: 1.5 mile jog

ANOTHER LOG??? Didn't you just start a new one a few short months ago? I will check out this log but you better not fail us.

9-22-15 (8)

45 minutes in the gym.
OHP, BORS, lateral raises, various presses, shrugs

30 minute jog

Just dropping in to say hello , happy holidays... Could be a few more years again before I login again, hope all is good brother !

Hey dude!!! Hope things are going well. I miss the old days man, we had a lot of fun.
Thanks for dropping in!

12-14-15 (6)

Strict Overhead Press:
Warm up sets
135 lbs x 3
145 lbs x 3
155 lbs x 1
175 lbs x 1 (PR)
145 lbs x 3
145 lbs x 3

Dips:
3 x 8

Lateral db raises and shrug combo
Several sets

Took a job directing a music video tonight. It's in early pre-production. I've directed short films before, but directing a music video is a whole different beast. Anticipating a fun time.

9-25-15 (9)

Dead Lift:
345 lbs x 3
345 lbs x 3
345 lbs x 3
345 lbs x 3

Machine Leg Extensions:
6 x 6

Machine Leg Curls:
6 x 6

11-15-15 (9)

Bench:
185 lbs, 5 x 5

My daughter (she's 17) came to the gym with me. I showed her how to bench press, dead lift, and squat. It was great. She went to jog on the treadmill, and that's when I got a little bench session in. Shoulder is bugging me, so I didn't push it.

Prison UFC is strong

9-27-15: (10)

Bench:
240 lbs x 2
240 lbs x 2
240 lbs x 2

Db incline press:
6 x 6

Machine Tricep Extensions:
6 x 6

30 minute jog

11-17-15 (10)

Back on 5/3/1

Squat:
225 lbs x 5
250 lbs x 5
275 lbs x 5

OHP:
135 lbs x 5
135 lbs x 5
135 lbs x 5

BOR:
145 lbs x 5
150 lbs x 5
155 lbs x 5

Some push ups and sit ups

3 miles jog

9-28-15 (11)

Got into the gym for about 35 minutes and did some body buildery shoulder and arms stuff.
Mostly just set on getting to the gym to do something.

11-15-15 (9)

Bench:
185 lbs, 5 x 5

My daughter (she's 17) came to the gym with me. I showed her how to bench press, dead lift, and squat. It was great. She went to jog on the treadmill, and that's when I got a little bench session in. Shoulder is bugging me, so I didn't push it.

nod-of-approval.gif

Exemplary fathergood, ole chap.

Ignore the haters, Bubbles.

Actually, you're so old that by the time you read this you'll be asking "Haters? What haters? And where is that draft coming from?"

Seriously, kick 2010's ass, brah.

9-29-15 (12)

Squat:
Warm up sets
225 lbs x 3
275 lbs x 3
295 lbs x 1
315 lbs x 1
295 lbs x 1
~Was gonna try to do some reps at 295 lbs but a tweek in my lower right back made me decide to stop

Leg Press:
6 x 6

Weighted back extensions:
3 x 10

30 minute run

Ha ha, thanks golvmopp! This week I'll show her how to change a tire. :)

11-20-15 (11)

DL:
Warm up
225 lbs x 3
225 lbs x 3
Working sets
265 lbs x 5
305 lbs x 5
345 lbs x 5
Cool down
235 lbs x 3
235 lbs x 3
235 lbs x 3

Two miles on the treadmill.
I tested my time: 23 minutes. It was difficult.

10-2-15 (1)

This was the last lifting session before the meet on Sunday (Oct 11th).

We worked up to heavy singles.
315 lbs feels pretty good for a single rep on the squat.
385 lbs felt BRUTAL on the dead lift for some reason, and I didn't go beyond that.
My shoulder has been giving me problems so I didn't bench.
Now I just rest. This is my first meet, so I'm a little nervous, but I'm doing it more as a learning experience than a competitive venture.
I'll update after the meet.

Im not sure how i feel about this log.

10-12-15 (2)
*the meet was on 10-11-15

Power Lifting Meet, recap and how a meet works.
The meet was in Phoenix, AZ in the Convention Center.
There was a pretty big crowd watching, and it was very loud because of surrounding events (body building, crossfit, judo). There seemed to be very loud crappy pop music emanating from everywhere.
Singlets are uncomfortable and awkward.
I was probably the lest knowledgeable guy at the meet.
Most of the dudes were pretty cool and helpful, but they were also intently focused on their own lifts and very focused, of course. I tried not to bug them.
The organizers post a piece of paper on the wall in the warm up area with the order you will be lifting and the group you will be lifting with: squat, DL, bench. The less you can lift, the earlier you lift.
In the warm up area my suspicions were quickly confirmed: I am not strong. Pretty quickly I figured out that I would have to warm up earlier than the others because not only would I be lifting sooner, but very quickly the "warm up" weight would be more than I could handle.
There was a bit of confusion for me as I listened intently over the loud music for my name to be called among the early lifters, and then suddenly I'm walking out there for my first lift at a meet.

As far as I can remember:
I got my first two squat attempts and then missed my third (would have been a PR) when I went before the command to do so.
On bench I ended up getting red lighted on all three attempts because my butt was off the bench and / or I didn't completely follow commands.
After that I could either just go home (I was out of the overall comp after I failed all three bench attempts) or approach the meet director about going through with the dead lift part just for the experience. The director ok'd me moving forward.
I got my first dead lift but then missed the next two (405 lbs).

In the end it was a great learning experience and I am signing up for another one in January in Tucson. I'll do better in that one.

It's ok, I'm not sure how I feel about it either.

11-30-15 (12)

Bench:
Warm up sets
185 lbs x 5
195 lbs x 5
205 lbs x 5

Dips:
3 x 8

30 minute walk

The gym was closed for 10 days. Just wanted to get in today.
Ran a 5k on Thanksgiving, but that's all I've done over the break.
I ate and drank a lot. I weighed 204 lbs today.

I like the idea of keeping track of mat hours. Since May I have been keeping track of the number of sparring rounds, but I like the duration idea.

Good stuff! Were you in a division for ancient beings?

In 1999 I entered a NAGA grappling event and realized after I entered that I could have entered the Masters Division. That was a shocker.

12-1-15 (1)

Squat:
Ample warming up sets
235 lbs x 3
255 lbs x 3
275 lbs x 3

DL:
275 lbs x 3
315 lbs x 3
365 lbs x 3

30 minute run

Again, just a "get back in the gym, hit the minimum" day.

This guy's log amazed the fuck out of me: Training Log Summary

And @ BB: just breaking your balls. I've seen your videos, you were doing great there for a while. And I have to give props to anyone who steps in the cage like that. Good luck in this log.

Good stuff! Were you in a division for ancient beings?

In 1999 I entered a NAGA grappling event and realized after I entered that I could have entered the Masters Division. That was a shocker.

Hey dude! I was the only guy in my age division. There were two guys older than me. One guy was 7 years older but he was A LOT stronger. The other guy was probably in his late 60's, early 70's?
The vast majority of lifters were in their 20's I would say.
It was fun, but I've got a way to go. Just gonna keep plugging away I guess, ha ha!

12-4-15 (2)

Bench:
A decent amount of warming up sets
185 lbs x 5
205 lbs x 3
225 lbs x 3
225 lbs x 3
225 lbs x 3

Dips:
6 x 6

It's all good fellas; I need my balls broken every now and then.

I can't believe you found those old logs Snitz.
This one goes UNTIL a Judo black belt is around my waist.

MsChatzy, logging hours just occurred to me, we'll see how it works.

I'm planning on attending some seminars this year, and competing heavily once I get back into Judo shape (3 months from now?).
I hope to get a Kata Randori seminar in this year. Kata Randori is the formal kata (with a partner) you have to perform in order to get a black belt. It's not like a punching and kicking air kata at all. It's rather technical and difficult.
As many tournaments as I can get in, even if I have to travel some distance, is the goal. When I go to Judo tournaments I coach, ref, work the scoring table, and compete. It's complete immersion.

Good hustle on the bench and squat this last page, homie. Stay stronk!

12-6-15 (3)

DL:
Warm up sets
225 lbs x 5
275 lbs x 5
315 lbs x 3
365 lbs x 2 (difficult)
355 lbs x 3
355 lbs x 3
355 lbs x 3

25 minute run

Gonna get back into my Berardi dietary plan.

I'll basically make an awesome bunch of simple stir fry meals for the week, with each meal consisting of some kind of lean meat (usually chicken or sirloin steak), and vegetables. I'll include rice, but mostly for post work out.
I'll have a splurge day, but also a strict day, when I eat extra healthy.

I also just read a great book on alcohol consumption and diet.
It was an eye-opening read to say the least.
Here's one stat that made me sit up: alcohol consumption reduces testosterone levels and raises estrogen levels.
As the book recommends, I'm going to go completely dry for two weeks (the first two weeks of January).
Then, after the two weeks, start moderating any drinking I do, in two ways. 1) set a limit of 3 drinks a night and 2) only 1 drink per hour.
One day a week (the night before returning to work) is an abstinence day, and one day a week is a splurge day (probably football Sunday).

golvmopp, I appreciate it man! I'm just chipping away at this stuff.

10-16-15 (3)

DL:
We worked on dead lift form tonight.
At the meet I got some good tips from some very experienced individuals.
I came back from that event with a feeling that I would need to back off the weight considerably and concentrate on technique and form for a while (maybe several sessions).
So tonight we did a lot of sets of 225 lbs, although we went as high as 275 lbs and as low as 135 lbs. The entire session was about an hour.

I will probably post some videos over the next couple of weeks for feedback on my form.

Just got back from a great Christmas Eve dinner at the in laws.
A 7 course meal.

Anyway, happy holidays everyone.
Tomorrow I should get a little weight lifting in after presents have been opened and everyone is settled in for the day.

10-18-15 (4)

Bench:

Tonight we worked on bench form. I got red lighted on all three attempts at the meet because my butt was coming off the bench.
Trying to correct that.
We worked on weights between 135 lbs and 225 lbs for about an hour.

10-19-15 (5)

Squat:
At about 80% of 1 rm
255 lbs x 3
255 lbs x 3
255 lbs x 3
255 lbs x 3

Leg Press:
400 lbs x 6
400 lbs x 6
400 lbs x 6
400 lbs x 6
400 lbs x 6

30 minute walk

10-20-15 (6)

BOR:
145 lbs x 6
145 lbs x 6
145 lbs x 6
145 lbs x 6
145 lbs x 6

OHP:
135 lbs x 3
135 lbs x 3
135 lbs x 3
135 lbs x 3
135 lbs x 2
I had to clean these from the floor because someone was in the rack

Lateral Raises, shrugs, curls, tricep pushdowns, farmers carry

Best of luck BB. I know what you mean by this year being a failure. I've spent the entire year with injuries that have kept me from making any real progress. Hopefully that changes real soon.

Enright: Cool blog that you found. I read a few of the articles, and it looks liek there is alot of really good stuff there.

10-23-15 (7)

DL:

325 lbs x 3
325 lbs x 3
325 lbs x 3
325 lbs x 3
365 lbs x 1

Thanks Stewy, hope things improve for you.

12-27-2009

30 minute run, with hills.

10-25-15 (8)

Bench:
225 lbs, 5 x 3

Incline Barbell Bench:
135 lbs, 5 x 5

Tricep Push Downs and Machine Bench Press

Started a new agey kind of "cleanse" program today. Stuff you take for 10 days and watch tape worms and stuff come out your ass. Supposedly.
It's essentially a bunch of fiber, Vitamin C, Magnisium, and then herbs like milk thistle, dandelion, etc.
January 1st I go into the 2 week "cleansing" diet, for lack of a better term. No alcohol or junk food, lot's of veggies, fruits, and lean protein.

10-26-15 (9)

Squat:
About 82% of 1 rm
275 lbs, 2 x 3
265 lbs, 3 x 3

Leg Press:
400 lbs, 6 x 6

30 minute run

Back