Your body weight and how much can you bench?

orca

P4P #1 Machida fan
@Brown
Reaction score
Good day brothers
Been working out for 6 months now
I was 170 lbs 5'7 1/2 when i first worked out and could only bench 50 lbs total.
Now im 140lbs and can only bench 120 lbs for 3 repetitions.
Am i considered weak?
I am aiming for a 150 lbs bench press without gaining weight coz if i gain weight my cheeks look fat.is it possible to gain strength without gaining weight?

Let me also know your weight and how much can you bench brothers!

Troll better.

I keep hearing all this talk about bench pressing but wake up, put weight on the bar and lift the bar. The weights have holes in them for a reason, duh.

Haven't bar benched in a long time, front delts thank me every week.

Good day brothers
I was 170 lbs 5'7 1/2 when i first worked out and could only bench 50 lbs total.
Am i considered weak?
I am aiming for a 150 lbs bench press without gaining weight coz if i gain weight my cheeks look fat.is it possible to gain strength without gaining weight?

I don't lift regularly but I am pretty sure that this is pretty weak, yes.

If you could only bench 50 pounds when you started you seriously have some structural weakness.

Good day brothers
Am i considered weak?

Most guys in decent shape can bench at least their body weight, generally a little more. 120x3 is of course below your bw at 140, so you're a little low but sounds like you're still pretty new so that's to be expected.

if you get it up to 150 that'd be pretty decent initial goal

You must have been the fattest 170 lb'r of all time. Do you have a debilitating disease, polio or palsy perhaps?

Don't be so harsh on TS, he might have 1 arm. Which would make him a monster in core balance to single hand press 140 with no counter weight.

I can't even bench press a toothpick. It's sad really.

OT but not.

Push-ups destroyed my bench, Probably from over working muscle grouping. Tried to do the 100 push up challenge and my bench weight went down after being able to do 60-70 push ups. Then shoulder felt like a knife was broke off in it, so gave up on challenge.

OT but not.

Push-ups destroyed my bench, Probably from over working muscle grouping. Tried to do the 100 push up challenge and my bench weight went down after being able to do 60-70 push ups. Then shoulder felt like a knife was broke off in it, so gave up on challenge.
Had a similar experience... as my push-ups total went up I started getting pain on one side and I had to give up on it

Most guys in decent shape can bench at least their body weight, generally a little more. 120x3 is of course below your bw at 140, so you're a little low but sounds like you're still pretty new so that's to be expected.

if you get it up to 150 that'd be pretty decent initial goal

Guys who lift weights, yes can lift their body weight but the average 'joe' who claims he is 'decent' in shape cannot.

The fact that the average American man can only do 1 pullup should tell you something.

863983_orig.jpg

http://www.livestrong.com/article/380767-how-much-weight-can-the-average-man-lift/

Average man is close to 200lbs (mostly fat) and can 1 rep max 135lbs on a bench. If they dropped the body fat % that bench would go down.

I always liked the bench press cause basically you are laying on the bench the whole time. I developed a nice set of chesticles over time.

Guys who lift weights, yes can lift their body weight but the average 'joe' who claims he is 'decent' in shape cannot.

The fact that the average American man can only do 1 pullup should tell you something.

863983_orig.jpg

http://www.livestrong.com/article/380767-how-much-weight-can-the-average-man-lift/

Average man is close to 200lbs (mostly fat) and can 1 rep max 135lbs on a bench. If they dropped the body fat % that bench would go down.

That's insane. It must have something to do with the obesity epidemic in the USA because in Germany I would say that a good 75% of people weighing 200 lbs would have a much higher 1 rep max.

That 1 rep max of 135 is like the stat of a non-fat but sedentary smaller guy, like 150 pounder or something.

863983_orig.jpg

If not for that 5 inch penis lie, I'd post this in the office

That's insane. It must have something to do with the obesity epidemic in the USA because in Germany I would say that a good 75% of people weighing 200 lbs would have a much higher 1 rep max.

That 1 rep max of 135 is like the stat of a non-fat but sedentary smaller guy, like 150 pounder or something.
Yeah those numbers are pretty staggering.

Back