Your body weight and how much can you bench?

Weigh 190 to 195 lbs
Currently prolly around 350 to 365 tops.

Squat is my best lift by far.

My pull is pathetic, barely over my bench.
I think cause I have shorter legs and longer torso, in spite of good arm length I feel I’m not built for deadlifting.
With my build deadlifts sumo/standard & trap bar become more of a squat basically.
Not a big deal as I only go a bit heavier in squat these days & switched to RDL for my goals.

Last edited:
Weigh 190 to 195 lbs
Currently prolly around 350 to 365 tops.

Squat is my best lift by far.

My pull is pathetic, barely over my bench.
I think cause I have shorter legs and longer torso, in spite of good arm length I feel I’m not built for deadlifting.
With my build everything becomes a squat basically.
Your bench becomes a squat?

I think his ape index was “not a pussy.”

He's a professional powerlifter. I barely even program bench into my routine anymore.

Military Press and Dips > Bench

Also, obligatory...
d41f9133bee2ee3259f37eeb50d74fbf.jpg

If that is a reference to Muay Thai, it was just the closest combat sports meme I could find. I do boxing, I lift for health and GPP. I am more or less happy with my bench, and would rather put my effort into lifts that I enjoy and are more useful to my other activities.

If that is a reference to Muay Thai, it was just the closest combat sports meme I could find. I do boxing, I lift for health and GPP. I am more or less happy with my bench, and would rather put my effort into lifts that I enjoy and are more useful to my other activities.
Overall upper body strength isn’t very useful.

Overall upper body strength isn’t very useful.

Delt, trap and lat strength has it's uses. Plus, I'm not a professional, so I'm not going to work my body out of balance for a hobby. But bench has got to be the least useful compound for boxing.

Actually, at the higher/elite level, you’ll notice this doesn’t happen very often at all. Form doesn’t really break down, they just don’t have the strength to lift the weight.
So elites never grind a rep, just to get the weight up?

So elites never grind a rep, just to get the weight up?
How did you manage to equate what I said to never grinding a rep?

“Grinding” a rep does not imply or necessitate form breakdown.

How did you manage to equate what I said to never grinding a rep?

“Grinding” a rep does not imply or necessitate form breakdown.

Not the best term to use(though I think whether or not rep grinding constitutes form breakdown could certainly be debated), but I think you understand what I asked.

Form breakdown occurs once you hit whatever you limiting factor is a for a lift. At that point, a lifter can either choose to biomechanically compensate for the limiting factor, or simply abandon the attempt. I’ve never personally seen a lifter who’s absolute max on one of the Big 3 is the same as their max with perfect technique. I was just curious how that not being the case is rationalized.

Not the best term to use(though I think whether or not rep grinding constitutes form breakdown could certainly be debated), but I think you understand what I asked.

Form breakdown occurs once you hit whatever you limiting factor is a for a lift. At that point, a lifter can either choose to biomechanically compensate for the limiting factor, or simply abandon the attempt. I’ve never personally seen a lifter who’s absolute max on one of the Big 3 is the same as their max with perfect technique. I was just curious how that not being the case is rationalized.
I think what he's saying is that the pros, the ones who have mastered the bench press, already use the most optimal biomechanical form/path (whatever you want to call it). Their form won't change to compensate for anything.

I think what he's saying is that the pros, the ones who have mastered the bench press, already use the most optimal biomechanical form/path (whatever you want to call it). Their form won't change to compensate for anything.
I suppose that makes. They just know better than to deviate from textbook form for the sake of getting the weight up.

He's a professional powerlifter. I barely even program bench into my routine anymore.

Military Press and Dips > Bench

Also, obligatory...
d41f9133bee2ee3259f37eeb50d74fbf.jpg
Ironically if she'd added leg mass her ability to absorb leg kicks would be greatly enhanced. I've seen heavyweight kickboxers with tree trunk legs take full bore leg kicks and smile.

Ironically if she'd added leg mass her ability to absorb leg kicks would be greatly enhanced. I've seen heavyweight kickboxers with tree trunk legs take full bore leg kicks and smile.

The trade off is whether she has the frame and can afford to move up in weightclass. Reach is usually the biggest no skill related attribute to success.

Back