Your most important album

loisestrad

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess most of us has got one or several albums that changed our perspective on music, made us fall in love with a type/genre of music we'd never appreciated before and so on and so forth. Are you able to pick just one album that's the most significant you've ever listened to, for whatever reason?

If I had to pick just one it would be Turn Loose the Swans by My Dying Bride. I wasn't really into metal at the time (mid nineties), and certainly not "extreme metal" - but somehow I sensed that I was READY. So I went out and bought TLTS, pretty much just picked it at the record store by chance cuz the cover looked interesting. And it changed my life. It was so dark and beautiful and downright scary depressing that I could never listen to it in its entirety, I had to pause to get a hold of myself.

And now I listen to "depressing" shit, funeral doom and the likes, all the time. Thanks, My Dying Bride!

TL/DR: What's your most important album? What's the album that changed the way you listen to music?

Tough call. Probably this as a kid,

220px-Van_Halen_album.jpg

Later,

220px-UYI2.jpeg

Christ, what a question.

Probably...

The extended Bitches Brew recordings. Just amazing. I can put this music on and be far away in thirty seconds

(cue American Psycho comments) Huey Lewis and the News-Sports: The first album given to me, along with a Walkman by my aunt.

Closest thing to a revelation is when I discovered Tom Waits. If I had to pick a specific album, I'd say either Heartattack and Vine or Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards.

This band and this album changed my life profoundly. I have never been the same again. Not a day goes by that I don't feel immense gratitude.

It would have to be Adam and the Ants

because this was the first record I asked my old man to buy me. I thought Adam Ant was the shit when I was a kid. Was it the best ever record? Nah. I've never listened to it since I was a kid, but what it did was open the door to punk and metal.

Last edited:
Rammstein - Mutter.
Got me properly into heavy stuff.

The first type of music I got into was punk rock, hardcore punk. There are too many bands to mention. One stands out and I believe it to be the best hardcore punk record of all time.

A toss up

R-1236151-1202735638.jpeg.jpg

R-728378-1476451522-5006.jpeg.jpg

As a guitarist, the three way string attack of Denner / Shermann / Hansen is not only what inspired me to pick up an axe, but also the closest to my own personal style.
Beyond that, both of these albums are some of the most molten metal to date, chock full of riff after riff, tasty, melodic soloing and the kind of galloping bass fills that would make Harris jealous.

It would have to be Adam and the Ants

because this was the first record I asked my old man to buy me. I thought Adam Ant was the shit when I was a kid. Was it the best ever record? Nah. I've never listened to it since I was a kid, but what it did was open the door to punk and metal.

Check out Desperate But Not Serious and compare it to

Blatantly lifted, but I like 'em both.

Probably the Beastie Boys License To Ill. It was the first full album I bought with my own money. The first single I ever bought on Vinyl?

West End Girls by the Pet Shop Boys. I wore the needle out on that record. It was my only friend during some lonesome teenage nights.

R-689255-1322218106.jpeg.jpg

This album was the biggest 'oh shit' moment in my time listening to music. It was unlike anything I'd ever heard before, and it completely blew open the entire genre of electronic music for me. Shit's like 11 years old now and it still feels ahead of its time.

20 years ago I got Pantera Far Beyond Driven along with a couple other CD's when my parents signed up for one of those 10 CD's for a penny scams back in the day. I put it on and the stereo was way too loud and the opening song pierced through my ear drums. I didn't really like the album at first because I was a little 13 year old sissy but gradually over time that album totally grew on me, became my favorite album of all time, and kinda shaped the person I became.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back