Your reaction when you first heard Metallica's "St. Anger"

I thought Death Magnetic was their best album since AJFA

Any particular tracks you would recommend someone start off with, if they want to get a taste for the album?

All Nightmare Long, Almost Like Your Life, Cyanide.

Suicide and Redemption has a fucking cringe worthy name but it's an instrumental with a nice thick groove, and catchy dual guitar harmony that I wish they did more of.

Honestly, the title track was kind of cool. Then I realized that the entire album was without any solos and Lars used that detuned sounding snare drum for every song. Became disappointed instantly.

To be fair and I may catch some flack for this, Load and ReLoad were for the most part shit too.

St Anger was crap.... just like load and reload

I fell asleep after track 3. Death Magnetic was quite good though.

Bonus unpopular opinion - I quite like Load.

Load and ReLoad were for the most part shit too.

St Anger was crap.... just like load and reload

lol_idi_amin.gif

I wasn't even born for the first few albums so I don't have that emotional involvement with their earliest stuff. I know a lot of old school fans got super pissed when Load came out (no pun intended).

Last edited:
Just when you thought Lars couldn't sound any worse on the drums, they recorded him with a broken snare. Also, I laughed so hard at the songs because they sounded like someone was doing a parody of Metallica.

lol_idi_amin.gif

I wasn't even born for the first few albums so I don't have that emotional involvement with their earliest stuff. I know a lot of old school fans got super pissed when Load came out (no pun intended).

"Load" was basically Metallica's concession that Grunge Pop had won. They betrayed themselves to stay relevant. Can't blame their fans for hating the shit out of it.

I said this Fn sucks and im just going to pretend these guys arent around anymore and so thats what I did

Doon tis doon tis doon tis lars drums were so bad on that man
Death Magnetic is good

I didn't really give St. Anger a chance, knowing the entire album was produced like the title track. Although St. Anger is a decent song on its own, pretty heavy and aggressive, but not what I was looking for. It's part of Metallica's evolution, and if they hadn't made that, they probably wouldn't have made Death Magnetic. So it's all good.

That being said, I really enjoyed the Load album from beginning to end. Ain't My Bitch kicks that album off right, and The Outlaw Torn is a great way to finish. I thought the album had a great feel to it. I remember it coming out in the summer of 96, and thinking it was a great heavy summertime kind of album. Makes sense since the album seems to have been heavily influenced by desert rock. I was also 11 years old at the time when I do the math, so I wasn't so stuck in my ways in what I thought their sound should be. It was already obvious their sound was changing after the black album.

Reload had about 5 good songs and the rest filler. The filler you'd have to be in the mood for. I think it would have been great as a double album, that way Reload wouldn't feel like the lesser of the two.

lol_idi_amin.gif

I'm only 30 I wasn't exactly a metal head in the 80s, I was a toddler haha. But, the first Metallica album that I ever heard was Ride The Lightning. Then I got into Master and AJFA and the other old school albums. So when I finally got around to Load I was like "what is this shit?"

Load and Reload don't really piss me off. They just kind of have that "ok guys, time to make a new album" feel to them.

"Load" was basically Metallica's concession that Grunge Pop had won. They betrayed themselves to stay relevant. Can't blame their fans for hating the shit out of it.

I understand old school fans hating Load because it was different; I hated St. Anger because it was different than the Metallica I liked, too. But IMO there's an important distinction: the music on St. Anger was terrible regardless of genre, whereas I think the music on Load is good. Both St. Anger and Load differ from the versions of Metallica we knew, but at least Load had well-crafted songs on it.

I can understand hating your favorite band shifting genres, I guess, but I don't engage in it as long as it's good. Look at The Beatles. Imagine being pissed when Rubber Soul came out because the songs didn't sound like "Love Me Do"? Lol.

Death Magnetic is good

I didnt really care for it man. I felt like they were trying really hard to run away from st anger by trying really hard to remake justice and it just sounded contrived to me and I wasnt feelin it. I listen to ska though so take it with a grain of salt ya know

I understand old school fans hating Load because it was different; I hated St. Anger because it was different than the Metallica I liked, too. But IMO there's an important distinction: the music on St. Anger was terrible regardless of genre, whereas I think the music on Load is good. Both St. Anger and Load differ from the versions of Metallica we knew, but at least Load had well-crafted songs on it.

I can understand hating your favorite band shifting genres, I guess, but I don't engage in it as long as it's good. Look at The Beatles. Imagine being pissed when Rubber Soul came out because the songs didn't sound like "Love Me Do"? Lol.

Fair enough.

I really don't have a dog in this fight, as Metallica was never that near and dear to my heart. I actually find it funny how so many were offended by "Load", as if their fans were so offended by the change in direction by the same band who hated "Napster". Odd correlation, I know, but these guys have proven that they don't give a fuck about anything that doesn't benefit themselves. "Load" was their way of fitting in, and nothing more. They didn't give a fuck about how they were perceived, as long as they got paid. That's Metallica in a nutshell.

That being said, I really enjoyed the Load album from beginning to end. Ain't My Bitch kicks that album off right, and The Outlaw Torn is a great way to finish. I thought the album had a great feel to it. I remember it coming out in the summer of 96, and thinking it was a great heavy summertime kind of album. Makes sense since the album seems to have been heavily influenced by desert rock. I was also 11 years old at the time when I do the math, so I wasn't so stuck in my ways in what I thought their sound should be. It was already obvious their sound was changing after the black album.

I was in 7th grade when load came out and I rather enjoyed the album. It wasnt lightning but it was sold and unlike st anger it actually sounded good . I still to this day play the house that jack built at the bar pretty often as one of my concession songs to the metal heads I drink Giraffe beer with

Fair enough.

I really don't have a dog in this fight, as Metallica was never that near and dear to my heart. I actually find it funny how so many were offended by "Load", as if their fans were so offended by the change in direction by the same band who hated "Napster". Odd correlation, I know, but these guys have proven that they don't give a fuck about anything that doesn't benefit themselves. "Load" was their way of fitting in, and nothing more. They didn't give a fuck about how they were perceived, as long as they got paid. That's Metallica in a nutshell.

Ha, I saw an interview with Lars lately and he was like, "I love the internet, it's great! It's great for music in general."

I bet Lars only started loving the internet once iTunes and monetized Youtube videos became a thing.

I thought it was ok, but im not a big fan of metallica, so to me most of their songs are meh.

The one with the zombies was good thought.

Back