Your Thoughts On The Technique?

vladimirvlad

MMA is my life
@Green
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am a kickboxer for 5 years and a Taekwondo black belt. I haven't competed for a very long time because of health issues, but I am still training for fun. So how does my technique actually look like, what do you think? I was doing one round of shadowboxing with kicks (70% of max power)...

Here is an update of this post...
I was able to survive three rounds and I was not gassed. (I train and go to kickboxing dojo for fun btw)

Last edited:
Your punches have no hip drive in them, they're arm punches that look like its dangling dead weight, and they don't use their full range either; Most of the time, its like you're just throwing for the sake of throwing rather than a purpose behind it

Uppercut is a bit too long and out, Often on your cross, your weight is too forward that it's compromising your balance

Kicks look okay I guess, Knees need to be more tucked in, its too much looking like a 90 degree angle going upward vs a tight acute angle going inwards

Try shadow boxing like you're actually sparring or fighting an opponent instead of drilling. You only move forward and back, no lateral movement, no angling. And often off a finished kick, you "pose" like you've KO'd the opponent and you're walking off. Expect it like how it is in a fight, and recover to your stance ASAP then counter back.

Your punches have no hip drive in them, they're arm punches that look like its dangling dead weight, and they don't use their full range either; Most of the time, its like you're just throwing for the sake of throwing rather than a purpose behind it

Uppercut is a bit too long and out, Often on your cross, your weight is too forward that it's compromising your balance

Kicks look okay I guess, Knees need to be more tucked in, its too much looking like a 90 degree angle going upward vs a tight acute angle going inwards

Try shadow boxing like you're actually sparring or fighting an opponent instead of drilling. You only move forward and back, no lateral movement, no angling. And often off a finished kick, you "pose" like you've KO'd the opponent and you're walking off. Expect it like how it is in a fight, and recover to your stance ASAP then counter back.

Thanks, will try on the bag though... This was kinda drilling exercise. Thanks for great suggestions.

slow down man and work on your technique SLOWLY

Hey guys, I am a kickboxer for 5 years and a Taekwondo black belt. I haven't competed for a very long time because of health issues, but I am still training for fun. So how does my technique actually look like, what do you think? I was doing one round of shadowboxing with kicks (70% of max power)...

There are some strong points but your stance is terrible IMO. It's way too narrow. You have to get your base worked out and sink into your strikes rather than leaning into them. The stance is your foundation.

There are some strong points but your stance is terrible IMO. It's way too narrow. You have to get your base worked out and sink into your strikes rather than leaning into them. The stance is your foundation.
Thanks. I think the same about my stance. I'd never be able to compete due to health issues and previous injuries, but I am always happy to improve and accept.

Thanks. I think the same about my stance. I'd never be able to compete due to health issues and previous injuries, but I am always happy to improve and accept.

It will feel uncomfortable switching stance but I recommend you try a boxers stance to really get down to the basics. Then you can raise it to your kickboxing style.

It will feel uncomfortable switching stance but I recommend you try a boxers stance to really get down to the basics. Then you can raise it to your kickboxing style.
Well, I actually train boxing from time to time with my coach. To be honest, my hands were terrible one year ago. Now my hands are not good too, but they were super-critical hah. Yeah, I will try, it is very hard but looking for excuses is not an option too. :)

Well, I actually train boxing from time to time with my coach. To be honest, my hands were terrible one year ago. Now my hands are not good too, but they were super-critical hah. Yeah, I will try, it is very hard but looking for excuses is not an option too. :)

It's just a method issue. Your body coordination and speed is fine. I'm sure you could make drastic improvements with a little tweaking.

spacetime is a troll, take him with a grain of salt.

Slow down, and work on engaging your hips on your punches

not bad, sure theres things wrong, but im not going to nit pick or insult you, and your not going to learn much from anything that is said on this forum. Improving will require in person coaching. If you do not have a Muay Thai Gym to join, I would suggest joining a boxing gym.

not bad, sure theres things wrong, but im not going to nit pick or insult you, and your not going to learn much from anything that is said on this forum. Improving will require in person coaching. If you do not have a Muay Thai Gym to join, I would suggest joining a boxing gym.
My coach is actually a kickboxing coach but he has good boxing skills. But yes, you are right, a lot of work is needed.

Friend you need to greatly improve your and technique and organize your training better. If you only train at home. Watch the video below:

As a Slav, you can instantly improve your shadowboxing with 3 shots of vodka and an Adidas tracksuit. Ask @Cole train

Friend you need to greatly improve your and technique and organize your training better. If you only train at home. Watch the video below:

I go to my kickboxing dojo 2-3 times per week, depending on my obligations. But great video, thanks.

Back