13-Year-Old Wins NY Varsity State Championship In Wrestling

Holy sh1t!!! I don't think even Jesse Jantzen, Yiani, Vitali, Letters, or any other NY great has accomplished this.

Read about this the other day....it's amazing. Congrats to that kid. Quite an accomplishment especially in 7th grade.

Must be so technical, as his body clearly isn’t on the level as the boys above him.

Pretty wild. Maybe an Olympic hopeful down the road

Holy sh1t!!! I don't think even Jesse Jantzen, Yiani, Vitali, Letters, or any other NY great has accomplished this.

Troy Letter? He's from PA...

But yeah the youth keep getting better. I'm a couple of years younger than Mocco but he was by far the best college prospect back in my day and Steveson is already way ahead of where Mocco was at the same age.

Spencer Lee, Yianni and Steveson in the past would all be considered once in a generation talent and all 3 came up at the same time. It's nuts

Seen this happen? How do you prevent this?
All the time. By not over specializing too much, not making him over compete, by making sure he’s intrinsically motivated. If the parents are hands off and the dad shuts the fuck up and stays in his lane, etc

Troy Letter? He's from PA...

But yeah the youth keep getting better. I'm a couple of years younger than Mocco but he was by far the best college prospect back in my day and Steveson is already way ahead of where Mocco was at the same age.

Spencer Lee, Yianni and Steveson in the past would all be considered once in a generation talent and all 3 came up at the same time. It's nuts
Who am I thinking of? A 4 or 5x NYS champ.

That's pretty amazing. I hope he's still having a life outside wrestling and isn't going to burn out before college.

Very impressive, but how many high school wrestlers are there at 99 lbs?

Actually New York State cut the number of weight classes from 15 to 13. Instead of 99 and then 106, the new lowest weight class is 102 followed by 110.

https://dailygazette.com/2020/08/06/state-issues-new-high-school-wrestling-weight-classes/#:~:text=The state's new weight class,189, 215 and 285 pounds.

Even then... 102 lbs. But still respect. Hope he enjoys wrestling and is nurtured.

Not taking away anything from this kid, but according to the article link above:

“The lower weights traditionally are middle school weights,” Neely said. “On the other hand, middle schoolers are always some of the best wrestlers in the section. It’s always been that way.”

The NYSPHSAA Wrestling Committee proposal indicated that this past year, there were 719 state athletes that certified at the 99-pound weight class, and out of the 719, 532 of those students were seventh, eighth and ninth-graders.

I'm sure it varies by state, but I didn't even know 7th and 8th graders were allowed to wrestle in HS varsity tourneys. Will be very interesting to see how this guy does as he gets older and (presumably) moves up in weight class.

Khabib's CLONE!!!!!!!!!

x-files-logo-1.jpg

Back