2023 | The Greatest Year Of Combat Sports

200w.gif

Here's a little something:
View attachment 1009080

I agree that there were to many high profile fights in this specific year

Mackhachev vs Volk 1
Izzy vs Poatan 4
Aljo vs O'Malley (Upset of the year candidate)
Fury - Paul (Highly publicized circus show of grand proportions
Leon - Usman 3
Jones - Gane
Izzy vs Strickland
Chimaev - Usman 1 (I think they will fight again as I believe Usman will beat a contender like Whittaker and get a rematch down the line)
Mackhachev vs Volk 2
Fury vs Ngannou 1 (Rematch will occur)

That Fury-KSI card was an absolute joke and doesn't count for me

I agree that there were to many high profile fights in this specific year

Mackhachev vs Volk 1
Izzy vs Poatan 4
Aljo vs O'Malley (Upset of the year candidate)
Fury - Paul (Highly publicized circus show of grand proportions
Leon - Usman 3
Jones - Gane
Izzy vs Strickland
Chimaev - Usman 1 (I think they will fight again as I believe Usman will beat a contender like Whittaker and get a rematch down the line)
Mackhachev vs Volk 2
Fury vs Ngannou 1 (Rematch will occur)

That Fury-KSI card was an absolute joke and doesn't count for me
Yeah we were spoiled this year for sure. I hope Usman does come back strong like you said, Usman vs Whittaker would be insane! I wish Usman would start focusing on submission grappling.

We all know how good he is at taking guys down and controlling them, but if he started locking up kimuras and other subs from on top and taking the back looking for chokes that would be scary.

It's been a lot of good upsets, that is for sure. the greatest year ever? no. but a damn good one, a damn memorable one, in a lot of shitty ass years. LOL. WAR 2023!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! May time bring many more years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No but it was the year of the upsets and much-better-than-expected losing performances. None of the fights you pictured were great though, except maybe Islam/Volk 1

MMA is a freakshow and has nothing to do with combat sports…deal with it

Fuck no.

This has been a relatively quiet year for MMA. Kickboxing hasnt been great since old K-1 folded. Boxing had a few decently big fights happen but that only seems standout because of how rare it usually is in this era, plus its still flooded with gimmick fights.

It's been so great because of all the wild upsets.

The lead ups and anticipation hasn't been great as we keep thinking we are seeing squash matches.
But watching live and In hindsight, alot of great moments so far.

Back