***2024 NBA Thread - Let The Games Begin***

I've heard this for years but its not too often the lesser contenders go deep. Usually the top 2 or 3 contenders have beat up the other teams, same as the East.

Off the top of your head how many non favorites teams have gone deep? The Grizz to that one WCF? Portland into the 2nd round?

In the past 10 years only 5 different teams in the West have made the Finals. The West overall has always been better but there have only been 2 or 3 REAL contenders in the conference a year. It’s stacked, but Nuggets are big favorites.
Nuggets aren’t big favorites this season..suns right on their heels.

Going back 10-15 years there really is no argument when Lebron went to the finals in the East for 8 seasons straight or wherever the streak was and didn’t meet much resistance in majority of those years either.

As for the west, I don’t agree with your take on it being as top heavy just because 5 teams have won it recently. As I said, these are just great teams that have had to go through a gauntlet to even get to the finals. The west have had more title contenders that just lost to these teams but they were still real contenders. Ex: KD’s Thunder, James Harden’s rockets, this era of the Suns, Lakers, Grizz last season, etc. My overall point is the west is way deeper.

The East has only 3 legitimate title contenders most seasons that people legitimately think can win it. I could see any of the top 6 west teams knocking off the other in a series for years. Nuggets would still be the favorites, but even last year as the one seed, no one had them representing the west.

Zions fat ass not playing due to rest , bitch it's the 5th game of the Season , fat Bastard

Honestly I don't understand why players need more rest these days than in the past?

Perhaps it's because this generation of player is more muscular / heavier, plus the game is faster..?

Old school players regularly played 82 games a season. Wilt, Jordan, Kareem, Russell etc. All these guys never missed a game unless they were quite injured.

Honestly I don't understand why players need more rest these days than in the past?

Perhaps it's because this generation of player is more muscular / heavier, plus the game is faster..?

Old school players regularly played 82 games a season. Wilt, Jordan, Kareem, Russell etc. All these guys never missed a game unless they were quite injured.
They don’t need it, the teams just do this for longevity especially if the player is injury prone

More movement in todays game, its more physical and players are required to more than in the past at a faster pace.

Add in the protecting your stars in the long term and analytics on players showing their peak performances and you get resting/load management. You don't need to risk your guys 82 games for 5 more wins.

kobe-bryant-soft.gif

More movement in todays game, its more physical and players are required to more than in the past at a faster pace.

Add in the protecting your stars in the long term and analytics on players showing their peak performances and you get resting/load management. You don't need to risk your guys 82 games for 5 more wins.

I think there is a lot of truth to this.

But I also think the standards of toughness were stronger in previous decades for everything, not just sports.

People often perform to the expectations set for them, within a culture, era etc.

Like compare a millenial's work ethic to a coal miner's in the 1800s.. lol

Although, have to recognise that a lot of load management is pushed by the org, not always the players, and the current culture is probably healthier..

I think there is a lot of truth to this.

But I also think the standards of toughness were stronger in previous decades for everything, not just sports.

People often perform to the expectations set for them, within a culture, era etc.

Like compare a millenial's work ethic to a coal miner's in the 1800s.. lol

Although, have to recognise that a lot of load management is pushed by the org, not always the players, and the current culture is probably healthier..
It is correct but also remember these are world class athletes and for how much shit some in here make fun of the unatheltic plumbers in previous eras, the fact these much better athletes need load management or given excuses is funny.

It is correct but also remember these are world class athletes and for how much shit some in here make fun of the unatheltic plumbers in previous eras, the fact these much better athletes need load management or given excuses is funny.

It's true, also hospitality workers probably work harder, and the average nba player makes twice as much as they do in a year, in one game (120k USD) lol!

It's true, also hospitality workers probably work harder, and the average nba player makes twice as much as they do in a year, in one game (120k USD) lol!
Yeah it’s insane. Lucky to be able to be millionaires playing a game.

Damn I thought the suns’ lack of depth would show towards the end of the season, but they have trouble winning even with Book back. The bench is hot garbage

What's up with Durant shooting poorly from free throw line

Back