25 Years ago Today - The Worst Title Fight Decision ever

View attachment 1042766It seems like they went with ruttens activity off his back rather than randlemans control
Is this an outdated scoring system or is it the same one?

Because I feel like today activity off your back is valued less and that the judges see anyone using their guard as being in a non dominant position regardless of how well the fighter is off their back.

Is this an outdated scoring system or is it the same one?

Because I feel like today activity off your back is valued less and that the judges see anyone using their guard as being in a non dominant position regardless of how well the fighter is off their back.
It's very much the opposite, working off your back nowadays, or just being able to do damage standing, is valued more than it used to be back in the day.

Sure you get a few decisions that don't reflect the updated scoring criteria, but back in the day wrestlers could get a round off of a couple of takedowns, and if you tried playing guard you were fucked unless you got a sub.

Many BJJ guys were vocal about their displeasure of the top control scoring a decade and some change back, like Jeff Curran.

To be fair, there is no single win in Fitch's career where he didnt land the more strikes than his opponent, usually by a large margin. At least in his UFC career.

Fitch was no Kevin Randleman in the ground; he knew was he was doing down there. Didnt just held top position but actually controled the action and barely allowed their opponents to land anything off their backs.
Fitch could be painfully boring, but boredom is not a scoring criteria.

Jon Fitch did ok in ufc

I didnt even have to look. I knew what this was going to be about. Watched it live. Still cant believe the decision went the way it did.

Randleman was such a fucking savage. At his very best he's capable of beating prime Bas, knocking out prime Cop and slamming prime Fedor on his neck after throwing him 8 feet in the air.

Insane killer instinct, athleticism and D1 Olympic level wrestling with one of the best and fastest power doubles ever. To this day Rampage says no one has ever hit him harder than Randleman.

Obviously Randleman had some holes in his game and deficiencies in his overall skillset but his raw athleticism and power made those things irrelevant even in fights against all time greats.

Imagine prime Randleman in today's camps with modern MMA wrestling systems, world class BJJ coaches, world class boxing coaches, strategy gurus and advanced sports science.

Peak Randleman with those luxuries would have stuffed Poatan inside of a trash can.

RIP THE MONSTER

Finally, I get to repost this. TL;DR Bas won the fight, not a robbery.

/rewatches fight

Bas coming in at 203 for a HW championship fight. He was outweighed by 15 pounds.

Regulation Time starts...

For the first two minutes and thirty seconds, Randleman dominates Bas with his power, and wrestling. Landing some solid GnP, got a nasty elbow that cut Bas on the bridge of his nose. Good elbows to the midsection as well. Bas deflected and parried a lot of punches from the bottom.

At around 3 minutes, Bas starts throwing bombs from the bottom. Not much happens for about another minute forty-five or so.

At 4:55, Big John calls time to check on Bas' cut on the nose. "He broke his nose on it." Bas says he wants to fight, so they resume.

On the standup, Bas lands a huge left body kick but after eating it Randleman grabs the leg and takes Bas down. Bas starts landing some shots from the bottom. Randleman seems content to lay there. Bas starts landing body shots from the bottom. Bas goes for an armbar, Randleman slithers out and jumps into side control.

Randleman attempts a choke, but Bas quickly escapes and they scramble back to the same position. Bas starts landing more shots from the bottom in half guard while Randleman gets tied up or rests. Bas gets Randleman in full guard around 9:45.

After almost exactly 10 minutes Randleman stops being active. Bas actually lands a solid hammerfist from the bottom. Big John calls time again to clean off Bas' blood from his broken nose and to look at a cut under his left eye.

11:28 Randleman gets a takedown even with Bas cheating a bit to grab the fence. He doesn't throw any punches but Bas starts being active with strikes from his back again. A bit of LnP for a minute or so...

12:53 Bas starts throwing hard elbows to the side of the head on Randleman landing some hard ones from the bottom. Six I counted, and a few cuts immediately opened on Randleman's head. Bas lands some hard palm strikes from his back as well to the ears of Randleman. More elbows from Bas on the back, no work or punches from Randleman. Round over, overtime.

TL;DR for Regulation Time:
First two minutes, Randleman shows his physical strength, wrestling, and solid ground and pound. He breaks Bas' nose and cuts it. Slows his pace until about the 10 minute mark where he stops throwing and Bas lands a variety of hard strikes including elbows, punches, and open palm strikes all the way until the end of the round at 15 minutes. Randleman is cut a few different spots on his head from the elbows.

Overtime #1 starts...

At 26 seconds Randleman catches a kick from Bas, and gets the takedown into Bas' half guard and works quickly for a closed guard and grabds Randleman to control his posture. Bas lands some punches from the bottom. Bas lands one elbow and tries for an armbar, but Randleman escapes and they scramble back to a similar position.

Bas keeps landing punches from the bottom and Randleman is not throwing any punches at all or even moving for a sub or guard pass of any sort. Bas keeps landing strikes from the bottom, mostly punches now. Bas continues to throw all the way until the end of the round after three minutes.

TL;DR for Overtime #1:
At the start of the round, Randleman catches a kick from Bas, and gets the takedown. The rest of the round is Bas landing punches from his back.

Overtime #2 starts...

At around 16 seconds Bas lands a huge right kick that seems to stun Randleman and he wobbles back from an attempted takedown.

At 39 seconds, Randleman secures a takedown on Bas, went right into Bas' closed guard. Bas lands some strikes from the bottom, and Randleman doesn't throw anything again. Bas lands another elbow from the bottom after Randleman finally throws but misses a right hand.

Bas continues to pepper Randleman with punches and strikes from the bottom. In the last thirty seconds, they wind up against the cage in Randleman's corner where Mark Coleman is urging him to throw elbows, he throws one and misses. The round ends shortly after.

TL;DR for Overtime #2:
Bas lands a right kick that seems to stun Randleman on the feet early. After shaking it off he shoots and secures another takedown. Randleman only lands a few glancing blows and only threw a few meaningful strikes. Bas threw some punches from the bottom, these with less power then previous rounds. It finished on the ground.

TL;DR Fight Summary:
Randleman cut up and overpowered Bas in the first few minutes of the opening round, but after 10 minutes gassed out and hardly threw punches while securing takedowns. Bas attempted armbars and threw palm strikes, elbows, and punches from his back.

I would say this is a very close fight TS, I would give the slight nod to Bas being active from the back while Randleman didn't have any damaging offense after 10 minutes. Bas did, opened cuts, landed a big kick, and peppered Randleman with strikes from the bottom fairly consistently.

Didn't Randlman say that Bas caught him in the liver or something and he couldn't move the rest of the fight?

I probably have that mostly wrong, but something like that.

It's very much the opposite, working off your back nowadays, or just being able to do damage standing, is valued more than it used to be back in the day.

Is it though? To me it's just wildly inconsistent. You have Diego Lopes losing a UD with Evloev despite having by far the best moments on the ground, while Oliveira at least made it a split with Tsarukyan despite a much less extended sub attempt sequence in the 3rd (I still had Charles winning but I'm extremely biased, he's my favourite fighter). But then judges - rightfully, to me - gave Olives rd. 1 in his fight with Kevin Lee, despite the fact Lee had some control and even some good ground and pound as the round ended.
But then there's Shevchenko vs Santos.
But then there's Sandhagen vs Dillashaw.
It's just a fucking mess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obrad
Back