300-1 Abe Lincoln vs UFC wrestlers

The only fighter that could probably beat Abe is Conor.

The guy in my AV (Jon Hess) could've done some mean eye rakes in those SAFTA-friendly events.
UFC 5. When the men where men, and some of them could fight. That was a hell of a brawl for the 1.5 minutes it lasted.

Reactions: mkt
UFC 5. When the men where men, and some of them could fight. That was a hell of a brawl for the 1.5 minutes it lasted.
As much as people bash it, you can't say Hess wasn't going for the finish every second of the fight...whether punching, kicking, eye gouging or getting back to his feet the one time he was taken down. It was the opposite of point fighting.

If twitter and social media was around 200 years ago we would have found out how bullshit these stories are. These old macho tough guys would have really looked like Mark Zuckerberg flow rolling with Lex Friedman. Coming out and saying shit like, "I wrassled the champ and won"

Rich dorks.

in some cases that’s true but there’s photos of Lincoln, dude was a 6’4” giant in a time when the average man was 5’6” from malnutrition, it’s actually believable that nobody average sized would beat him.

As much as people bash it, you can't say Hess wasn't going for the finish every second of the fight...whether punching, kicking, eye gouging or getting back to his feet the one time he was taken down. It was the opposite of point fighting.
Definitely, Hess and the Cal Worsham fight at UFC 6. Balls to the wall.

Honest Abe was 300-1 over his 12 year wrestling career, taking on all comers
How would he stack up against GSP, Cain, Couture, Lesnar and other UFC wrestler based fighters ?
Old Abe was 6’4” 185 lbs of twisted steel who’s training regiment included splitting rails and killing Vampires, when he wasn’t legislating
https://olympics.com/en/news/abraham-lincoln-usa-president-wrestling-champion

My money is on Abraham
That's great but Donald Trump is 300-0 and he just started wrestling last week

Definitely, Hess and the Cal Worsham fight at UFC 6. Balls to the wall.
And most of Tank Abbott's fights, unless Dan "Freddy Mercury" Severn was on top of him and there was little he could do. Tank vs. Matua especially comes to mind.

And most of Tank Abbott's fights, unless Dan "Freddy Mercury" Severn was on top of him and there was little he could do. Tank vs. Matua especially comes to mind.
True. I forgot about the "Freddy Mercury" comments by Tank.

It took me along time as a combat sports fan to like Tank after that fight. The older I get and more removed from traditional martial arts the more I realize that some people are just like that and they might not even mean that much by acting that way.

I teach Sports and American Culture at a university. Abe was a legit wrestler and was rather modest about it unless he was challenged, and then he would talk some smack. Most of the stories of his prowess does not come from him, but friends (and some enemies).

On a separate note, for MMA fans and people who care about the history of the sport, the form of wrestling that Lincoln practiced, would be closer to MMA than collegiate wrestling. He would have practiced a form of frontier wrestling that was a cross between "collar and elbow" (one of the precursors to catch) and "bite and gouge," which was particularly brutal with some striking, biting, and eye gouging. Here is a slide from my ppt.

View attachment 989467
Wrestling was so popular then, it was rare to find a young boy who did not wrestling in some capacity.

Teddy Roosevelt was also a badass, studied boxing, wrestling, and Jujitsu. Conde Koma (or his traveling companion), the trainers of the Gracies, may have trained with him and some members of the military.

View attachment 989466
Thats a great post

Throw in Frank Dux with his 339-0 record. It actually sounds a little more legit since he didnt make up a perfectly round number.
It’s actually 299-1
I was trying to be dramatic

in some cases that’s true but there’s photos of Lincoln, dude was a 6’4” giant in a time when the average man was 5’6” from malnutrition, it’s actually believable that nobody average sized would beat him.
He lost to some dude named Jack Armstrong

but ol Abe was splitting logs and spitting lyrics afterwards
Let’s not forget the Gettysburg address

Abe’s jack Armstrong fight was controversial
He should have been undefeated

Back