AC/DC - What in the hell? How are these guys in their 60s and 70s?

Another marvel is Keith Richards. Dude looked he was about to die 40 years ago and honestly looks the same now.
Word.
The amount of blow he did could off offed a batallion, yet he stands.

It's an audio illusion. He sings quietly and lets the studio/concert equipment work its magic. So he's not actually screaming. But there are many different ways rock stars do it. Some of them are just naturally high-pitched like Bon Scott who Brian Johnson replaced. Since he's singing in the same style and range as Scott, who was a high tenor, Johnson doesn't get to use his natural baritone timbre and range but he's able to get a similar effect as Scott by using the "whisper" technique.

There actually are ways to scream without wrecking your vocal cords, and many metal singers have started working with vocal coaches who show them the correct techniques to do so. Axl Rose, who replaced Brian Johnson in AC/DC temporarily, is also a natural baritone, but he uses a "masking" technique to sing in a high tenor range. He also has extensive vocal training since he was a child singing in a church choir in small town Indiana.

Layne Staley was a natural tenor (although not as high placed as guys like Bon Scott) and he built up his upper chest voice and mixed voice working with Maestro David Kyle, who taught a lot of the Seattle-based rock stars like Ann Wilson from Heart, Chris Cornell from Soundgarden and Geoff Tate from Queensryche. It gave him an edge over the more raw singers like Kurt Cobain. He was a more reliable live singer, and he often sang better live than in the studio. He had a different technique where he sang loudly and powerfully, and people who shared the stage with him said that they could hear the sound coming out of his chest and not just the microphone.

Yo! That vocal coach is legit!! I go to a concert and can't talk for like a week. I couldn't imagine the training it takes to do it day in and out.

It's an audio illusion. He sings quietly and lets the studio/concert equipment work its magic. So he's not actually screaming. But there are many different ways rock stars do it. Some of them are just naturally high-pitched like Bon Scott who Brian Johnson replaced. Since he's singing in the same style and range as Scott, who was a high tenor, Johnson doesn't get to use his natural baritone timbre and range but he's able to get a similar effect as Scott by using the "whisper" technique.

There actually are ways to scream without wrecking your vocal cords, and many metal singers have started working with vocal coaches who show them the correct techniques to do so. Axl Rose, who replaced Brian Johnson in AC/DC temporarily, is also a natural baritone, but he uses a "masking" technique to sing in a high tenor range. He also has extensive vocal training since he was a child singing in a church choir in small town Indiana.

Layne Staley was a natural tenor (although not as high placed as guys like Bon Scott) and he built up his upper chest voice and mixed voice working with Maestro David Kyle, who taught a lot of the Seattle-based rock stars like Ann Wilson from Heart, Chris Cornell from Soundgarden and Geoff Tate from Queensryche. It gave him an edge over the more raw singers like Kurt Cobain. He was a more reliable live singer, and he often sang better live than in the studio. He had a different technique where he sang loudly and powerfully, and people who shared the stage with him said that they could hear the sound coming out of his chest and not just the microphone.

I feel like I visited a TED talk on rock voices.
Thx, Jackie!

Even better in Concert . I saw em at Wrigley 6 years ago and it was great. Saw them With Axl in Detroit and honestly might have been even better. I like Brian alot. But Axl brought back that Bon Scott sound to the band.

AC/DC is the bomb. Axel Rose rocked it as the lead and he rocked to. One of my favorite pinball machines is AC/DC. AC/DC probably has the most tracks in the marvel universe.

The key to their longevity is too many women and too many pills

What gives ACDC staying power is they never took them selves too seriously, love what they do , n they never try an be something they aren't or push any agenda on anyone else.

Best line was when a person said to Angus several songs sound the same........ Angus jumps up called him a filthy LIAR ...... then says ALLL OUR SONGS SOUND THE SAME ..... get it right ... then laughs. Most other artists would have been so butthurt their ass would still be bleeding... he just laughed n smiled.

Last edited:
Another marvel is Keith Richards. Dude looked he was about to die 40 years ago and honestly looks the same now.

He's dead, he just hasn't fallen over yet. Remember Weekend at Bernie's? That's Keith Richards for at least the last 30 years.

AC/DC is the bomb. Axel Rose rocked it as the lead and he rocked to. One of my favorite pinball machines is AC/DC. AC/DC probably has the most tracks in the marvel universe.
Basically all the Bon Scott songs Axl sings much better than Brian but Axl seems to kinda suck with most songs BiB an after.

reading AC/DC's biography at the moment
51STia4HZ0L.jpg

really great stuff. Malcolm Young was a real driving force behind the band righ up until his recent death.
also, didn't really know the detail of bon scott dying in a parked car overnight either.
talks about brian johnson being chosen to succeed him, etc.

reading AC/DC's biography at the moment
51STia4HZ0L.jpg

really great stuff. Malcolm Young was a real driving force behind the band righ up until his recent death.
also, didn't really know the detail of bon scott dying in a parked car overnight either.
talks about brian johnson being chosen to succeed him, etc.

Sounds like a good read.

What about Ozzy No clue how hes still standing either

At least Ozzy's showing his age, poor guy almost died after falling over in his own home last year.
But yeah, I'm surprised he's still above ground these days.

Sounds like a good read.
and the whole school boy attire was a compromise of sorts. early on, Angus always ended up taking his pants off and playing in his underwear.
one of the production staff suggested the shorts, etc. as a solution, also noting that Angus was always in trouble in his early school years.

One of the greatest bands ever. Their stuff is pure rock and truly adrenaline-pumping.

aside from this one:

Last edited:
I used to get up to this song on cassette in like 7th grade for just about the whole year:

Parents loved it. ;)

Back