Social [Affordable High-Speed Internet] Biden announces Affordable Connectivity Program

Didn't the government already hand over billions to the ISPs to build out infrastructure only for them to bend us over and create small monopolies in a lot of areas forcing ridiculous prices? I am lucky and in an area where I pay $80 for gigabit internet, no contract.

The point is that if you want a society to continue to prosper, the lowest standard of living has to continuously increase. Otherwise, the society wastes human resources. A society where people are still going to the well to get fresh water is a society where those people aren't maximizing their contribution to society, instead they are wasting time performing a task that is more easily done with modern advancements. And that means that some of those people who might make society changing contributions never get around to it.

I cant like this paragraph enough.

<JennieThumbsUp>

State grant helps connect many in rural NC area to high speed internet for first time
by Caitlyn Penter | November 24th 2021

4a5efedc-f785-46fc-b8fe-83307c2bbff8-medium16x9_SANDYMUSHINTERNETBRIEF.movframe1884.png
For the last three weeks, French Broad Electric has been hooking up its customers in Buncombe and Madison County to brand new, fiber optic internet.

This is the first time ever that many in this community have had access to reliable, high speed internet.

"Opportunities that we just wouldn’t even know that were there are going to be open for us with having this access," said Vanessa Campbell with Full Sun Farm.

Residents in the Sandy Mush community showed News 13 how the internet is being expanded out to their homes.

Since French Broad Electric is their electric utility provider, cables are being run on existing power poles and into each of the homes.

"We’ve been advocating for it here in this community for I guess around 10 years," said Terri Wells, Buncombe County commissioner. "We've been working toward getting better internet for folks."

Last year, French Broad Electric got a North Carolina GREAT grant to connect their customers to fiber internet.

Up until now many relied on satellite for internet, which people said has been expensive and slow.

"I spent $150 for 25 megabytes," said Becky Caldwell of Caldwell Farm.

For the last several years people have had to go to the Sandy Mush Community Center for internet.

The center became especially important during the pandemic. Teachers and students used the center for virtual learning.

"There were definitely days when my girls needed to go down to the community center where they had the high speed internet and sort of set up in the car," said Campbell.

Getting this internet also better connects the many working farms in the area to the digital marketplace.

"We’ve been waiting on it for a long time so it’s great," Caldwell said. "It’s great, I use it a lot especially during the summertime when we have our tomato season. I use the internet a lot."

However, not everyone is celebrating.

Larry Wells of Wellsdale Farm lives just a few miles down the road. He still doesn't have access to high speed internet.

"They’re all tickled to death, but I wish we could get it because it’s really a disadvantage," he said.

People around his farm can get internet now either through French Broad Electric or Spectrum. However, where his farm sits on North Turkey Road he can't get access to any of it.

He's still using dial up, and even that is weaker than it should be.

"We’re supposed to have 9.0 signal strength and the guy come out here and say you’ve got .09," Larry said. "We’re really behind the eight ball here; we’re still operating like it’s the 60s and 70s, everybody else is in the new millennium."

Terri said she hopes what they're doing in Sandy Mush can be expanded to others in the region without internet.

"I’m like, we have all of these poles all over Western North Carolina, to me there’s got to be a way to make this happen," she said.

Getting the Sandy Mush community connected means the volunteer fire department now also has better internet.

Residents added it could help people sell their homes and rent out their Airbnbs to people who rely on internet for work.

"We sat down and watched a movie without the buffering thing," said Campbell.

Campbell and Caldwell talked about what they did when they first got connected.

"Got on Amazon, went shopping," Caldwell said.

Billions of dollars are being pumped across the state to expand broadband access right now. Buncombe County has allocated millions.

It's all in the hopes that soon everyone has the chance for high speed, reliable internet.

Next up, residents in Sandy Mush hope they can get a cell tower. They said getting better cell service is their next obstacle.

https://wlos.com/amp/news/local/sta...high-speed-internet-for-first-time-sandy-mush

President Joe Biden announces program giving discount on internet for low-income households
Internet providers including AT&T, Comcast, and Verizon taking part in Affordable Connectivity Program

President Joe Biden on Monday will announce that 20 of the nation's internet providers have committed to lowering costs for low-income households, a step the administration says will increase access to high-speed internet for 48 million households nationwide.

The announcement, which Biden is expected to make from the White House, follows provisions in the administration's bipartisan infrastructure law to subsidize wireless internet for low-income families under the Affordable Connectivity Program, which slashes internet service fees for eligible families by up to $30 a month through grant funding.

"From large providers like AT&T, Comcast, and Verizon serving dozens of states, to smaller providers serving rural areas like Jackson Energy Authority in Tennessee and Comporium in North Carolina, the commitments will allow tens of millions of ACP-eligible households to receive high-speed internet at no cost," the White House said Sunday in a fact sheet shared with CNN.

To qualify for the Affordable Connectivity Program, a member of a given household must meet certain low-income thresholds or participate in any one of the nation's assistance programs, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicaid, the Free and Reduced-Price School Lunch Program or School Breakfast Program, Pell Grants, or others.

An estimated 11.5 million households have signed up to participate in the ACP to date.

Since taking office, the Biden administration has eyed different proposals to close the US' digital divide, which has persisted for years. The issue, however, has sparked sharp political fights over how much money to spend, where to spend it and what types of internet access Americans need to stay competitive in the 21st century.

An administration official made clear on a call with reporters Sunday that participating companies were partnering with the administration voluntarily. "I want to be clear that we didn't -- we have not offered them anything in order to make these commitments," the official said.

"We thought that it was important, in terms of providing low-cost options for millions of households, it was important to try to get these companies to reduce their prices, at least for ACP eligible households, 48 million eligible households in the country, and they did so voluntarily," the official added. "There is not a condition for any federal funding or anything like that, these are voluntary commitments from the companies, and we're grateful for that."

Comcast Cable CEO and President David Watson said in a statement that the program represents, "a historic opportunity to close the digital divide by empowering more Americans to get online and connect to our increasingly digital world."

"We have been working on digital equity issues for over a decade and believe this new program offers even more support to achieve those goals. We are proud to work together with our government and community partners to close the digital divide," Watson wrote.

Per the White House, the 20 providers participating in Monday's commitment offer coverage for 80% of the country's population and 50% of the nation's rural population.

To spread awareness, the administration will launch a new URL, GetInternet.gov, allowing eligible households to connect to internet providers and sign up for the ACP, launch outreach programs through federal programs whose beneficiaries qualify for subsidized internet, and partner with cities and states to get the word out.

https://abc7chicago.com/internet-service-joe-biden-discount-free/11830860/

Affordable Connectivity Program

The Affordable Connectivity Program is an FCC benefit program that helps ensure that households can afford the broadband they need for work, school, healthcare and more.

The benefit provides a discount of up to $30 per month toward internet service for eligible households and up to $75 per month for households on qualifying Tribal lands. Eligible households can also receive a one-time discount of up to $100 to purchase a laptop, desktop computer, or tablet from participating providers if they contribute more than $10 and less than $50 toward the purchase price.

The Affordable Connectivity Program is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.

Who Is Eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program?

A household is eligible for the Affordable Connectivity Program if the household income is at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, or if a member of the household meets at least one of the criteria below:

• Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
  • Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider's existing low-income internet program;
  • Participates in one of these assistance programs:
    • The National School Lunch Program or the School Breakfast Program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision;
    • SNAP
    • Medicaid
    • Federal Public Housing Assistance
    • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    • WIC
    • Veterans Pension or Survivor Benefits
    • or Lifeline;
  • Participates in one of these assistance programs and lives on Qualifying Tribal lands:
    • Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
    • Tribal TANF
    • Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations
    • Tribal Head Start (income based)

https://www.fcc.gov/acp

MFW I'll never get a discount because I'm not a trans-racial little person.

<DCrying>

New York sucks.
Correction. NYC sucks and liberal politicians.
The rest of the state (upstate) is fucking awesome.
One shitty cesspool of an overcrowded , crime ridden, smelly piss city ruins the state.
No natural disasters. Get all 4 seasons. It’s beautiful. Just not in the city.

Lol what's next a computer? Seriously, everyone has a phone these days with net on it.

US prices seem pretty insane. I can get 1000/1000 fiber with complete wifi setup and 25gb online storage for 56$/month.. No limits on data.

Back