After today, can we stop pretending MMA is continually evolving?

doest he reiles on his relays on his chin to come foword like and ko mofos like chuck used too does t rakic figth the exact same way jon did agains t santos except jon knocked santos 2 times didn t got outstruked and didn t need to grapple with santos ergo poor man s jones
Seen you posting a lot recently and you are clueless.

doest he reiles on his relays on his chin to come foword like and ko mofos like chuck used too does t rakic figth the exact same way jon did agains t santos except jon knocked santos 2 times didn t got outstruked and didn t need to grapple with santos ergo poor man s jones
Literally no.

Prime Jones,Rumble,Dc and Gus would kill everyone in the current division.

I think it's more about how weak the UFC LHW division is than anything about the overall health of the sport. It used to be the premier division when you had guys Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Tito, and Vitor. Then Rampage,Wand, Shogun, and Machida. Then Rashad, Jones, Cormier, and Gus. The division is a shadow of what it once was.

I think it's more about how weak the UFC LHW division is than anything about the overall health of the sport. It used to be the premier division when you had guys Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Tito, and Vitor. Then Rampage,Wand, Shogun, and Machida. Then Rashad, Jones, Cormier, and Gus. The division is a shadow of what it once was.

With exception of Jones those fighters weren’t more skilled they were just more popular.

Too many people get popularity mixed up with skills

It depends on what you mean by "evolve". Techniques come into style when they're found to be effective, then fall out of style when fighters learn to counter them. I don't thinking the sport is really evolving in the sense that fighters are becoming better when compared against some arbitrary baseline.

The heavier divisions progress slower in terms of skill development imo. The lighter divisions for sure have evolved a ton.

You really don’t remember when nobody fucken ever user a jab? Lol

mma evolves in waves and it also depends on weightclass. Heavyweight for example in past few years has really started to use footwork with Cyril Gane being the prime example of the peak form of it
smell-agree.gif

hate how the casual fanbase cheers up with any shit, guys saying jab is a new attack?!

BJ Peen Prime was more skillful than any LW Fighter today.

"Evolving" is a fucking myth.
It's bloody fighting it doesnt evolve.
Look at fights in HD from GSP era, they fought the same. Even harder and more brutal due to all the drugs being present.

True story. GSP wouldn't even crack the top100 of the evolved WW division with the likes of the evolution of WW like Jorge Masvidal and just a couple years ago, Donald Cerronne and RDA..... lol

DAT EVOLUTION!

On average evolution? Sure. The very best from 10 years ago would still be top fighters if they were in their prime today. No doubt in my mind about that. Maybe not 155 and below but 170 and up? Oh yeah, for sure.
Nobody is saying GSP whose last fight was in 2017 would suck today

Reactions: HHJ
Happy for Glover, he’s a warrior. But does anyone really think LHW is better than 10-15 years ago?

And some divisions like HW and WW aren’t much better.

You’re overrating the past based on names only. The guys are smaller and worse honestly. They’re just more popular and beloved.

I would see a better argument saying LHW was better 5 years ago when Jones, DC and Rumble were prime. They likely mop the current division or any division in the history of the sport.

Guys today may not carry the name weight of Wandy, Shogun, Machida and Chuck........ but they’re skilled monsters. Good luck bum-rushing Jiri, Nemkov, Rakic and some of these other guys like they’re fat Japanese WW’s or UFC thin division nobodies back then. The skill ceiling is higher and deeper today no question.

2021 has more and bigger / better LHW’s than 2005-2010 it’s just not translating to star power the same or nearly as exciting. Part of the boredom is guys cancel each other out more and aren’t fighting in so many squash / mismatches.

Last edited:
Nobody is saying GSP whose last fight was in 2017 would suck today
Oh so you mean, from 1993 to 2021 it's evolved? You mean Royce Gracie from 1993 wouldn't be the best in 2021 and not GSP, Silva and the likes from 2009??

If that is what you meant, I am not sure why you even made the comment because no one goes around claiming this isn't the case. Literally no one.

striking has vastly improved, grappling has moderately improved and the talent pool got a lot deeper.

Some people question the quality of athletes in MMA when an older guy wins something big. Funnely enough, this same people don't question the legitimacy of football with Tom Brady or real football with Cristiano Ronaldo. Double standards I suppose.

If you pay attention, older athletes are performing better than they used to in many sports. Partly because the training methods have evolved and partly because medicine has envolved. Men are aging better now.

Oh so you mean, from 1993 to 2021 it's evolved? You mean Royce Gracie from 1993 wouldn't be the best in 2021 and not GSP, Silva and the likes from 2009??

If that is what you meant, I am not sure why you even made the comment because no one goes around claiming this isn't the case. Literally no one.
Lol you're just being a dick for no reason, but the title of the thread is "After today, can we stop pretending MMA is continually evolving?"

Yes the very top guys like Anderson and GSP would still do well, but overall the sport has evolved a lot, just because the very best guys would still do well doesn't mean it hasn't. Would Kareem Abdul-Jabbar do well in the NBA today? Yes, but that doesn't mean Basketball hasn't evolved.

Maybe you should read through the thread and actually understand what people are saying before you jump to conclusions and look like an asshole.

Mma hasnt evolved much the last 15 years. We obviously have more fighters, as it is getting more main stream, snd the pay is better, but the top talent is more or less the same. If anything, it is probably is a bit lower Now because of USADA.

you seriously think some of top ww during gsp era would still be top ww today?

you seriously think some of top ww during gsp era would still be top ww today?
You dont think Anderson Silva in his prime would still kick ass at MW today?

Really grim? Really??

Back