Law Airport executive shot in firefight with federal agents at his home in Arkansas

It appears as I speculated earlier in the thread that Mr. Malinowski was under the impression his private part sales were legal after he took procession of the firearm.
I'd say most of the time they would be . . . . but most folks hang on to something for longer than 24 hours and don't often buy 6-10 of the same firearm without some intent to sell. He didn't do himself any favors by also setting up at a gun show. If he's going to do that he should just get an FFL and gain access to wholesale prices. But something tells me he knew exactly what he was doing and knew that it would be easier to sell privately so he chose not to get an FFL.

He had no idea he was doing anything illegal but he knew he was being surveilled.

<EdgyBrah>
Per the affidavit he stated to CI he didn’t need a 4473 for a private party sale. This was disclosed during one of the sales in question that resulted in this compliant as well as the application of an apple air tag by authorities. I would like to know if him becoming aware of this/ if it helped result in the outcome here or if he truly believed it to be a home invasion.

If he thought what he was doing was legal why did he fire on law enforcement?
He may not have realized or believed it was law enforcement showing up at 6am. I've already provided one example of criminals pretending to be police when kicking in a door.

I'd say most of the time they would be . . . . but most folks hang on to something for longer than 24 hours and don't often buy 6-10 of the same firearm without some intent to sell. He didn't do himself any favors by also setting up at a gun show. If he's going to do that he should just get an FFL and gain access to wholesale prices. But something tells me he knew exactly what he was doing and knew that it would be easier to sell privately so he chose not to get an FFL.
I believe he was a straw purchaser who believed on principal he had the right to sell any and all personal property he possessed.
The international angle here as one of the weapons was recovered in another county Canada is interesting given his position at an airport.

Per the affidavit he stated to CI he didn’t need a 4473 for a private party sale. This was disclosed during one of the sales in question that resulted in this compliant as well as the application of an apple air tag by authorities. I would like to know if him becoming aware of this helped result in the outcome here or if he truly believed it to be a home invasion.

He clearly knew what he was doing. There's nothing to indicate he was just a bumbling idiot that fell into an unfortunate circumstance.

He was also blatantly lying about what he was using the purchased firearms for, acting erratically when followed etc. There's no reason to make excuses for his criminal activity that led to his guns showing up at crime scenes.

He clearly knew what he was doing. There's nothing to indicate he was just a bumbling idiot that fell into an unfortunate circumstance.

He was also blatantly lying about what he was using the purchased firearms for, acting erratically when followed etc. There's no reason to make excuses for his criminal activity that led to his guns showing up at crime scenes.
I’m not in any way defending his actions. I’m trying to understand how it came to such a volatile conclusion. Mr.Malinowski pulled the trigger and chose most likely to die by cop. I feel this should been a text book case of finding a more judicial outcome. They had four months and had the suspect under constant surveillance.

I’m not in any way defending his actions. I’m trying to understand how it came to such a volatile conclusion. Mr.Malinowski pulled the trigger and chose most likely to die by cop. I feel this should been a text book case of finding a more judicial outcome. They had four months and had the suspect under constant surveillance.

Well, you typically have to gather evidence correctly and get to the point where you have a strong enough case to ask for a search warrant. If someone is doing something illegal then you'd also like to know the extent of their criminal activity. It's not surprising he was being tracked for part of that time but I don't think he was under constant surveillance.

Almost every alternative scenario being suggested has the potential for a bad outcome. Imagine how much criticism they would be getting if they tried to execute the warrant at a gun show and he opened fire on them. I don't have a big issue with the fact they tried to execute a search warrant at his home, it's exactly what I would expect. The only real question I have is how it was executed.

He may not have realized or believed it was law enforcement showing up at 6am. I've already provided one example of criminals pretending to be police when kicking in a door.
Yeah, he may. Or he may not. That's my point.

Well, you typically have to gather evidence correctly and get to the point where you have a strong enough case to ask for a search warrant. If someone is doing something illegal then you'd also like to know the extent of their criminal activity. It's not surprising he was being tracked for part of that time but I don't think he was under constant surveillance.

Almost every alternative scenario being suggested has the potential for a bad outcome. Imagine how much criticism they would be getting if they tried to execute the warrant at a gun show and he opened fire on them. I don't have a big issue with the fact they tried to execute a search warrant at his home, it's exactly what I would expect. The only real question I have is how it was executed.
Mr. Malinowski stood accused and was most likely guilty. The BATF has as far as I’m concerned soiled its reputation (I am not alone here) and its guilt is assured.
Just like the blood on their hands.
Last line of your post we could not agree more on.

Mr. Malinowski stood accused and was most likely guilty. The BATF has as far as I’m concerned soiled its reputation (I am not alone here) and its guilt is assured.
Agree or disagree but why are you calling him a moron?

lol

I'm not a cop; what do I know about better ways to serve warrants? The more I hear of this the more convinced I am he knew they were coming and decided to go out in a blaze of glory. If he intended to fire upon them all along that hardly seems like the ATF's fault. I still think not enough is known to take a side.
That's your opinion which I respect. But, no video exists, no body cam footage was released, no doorbell camera footage (if it exists) has been viewed by the public. No agents have been named.

There is one side of the story currently available and it's coming from the side that shot and killed a US Citizen while executing a search warrant in the AM before daylight.

Absent more evidence and a thorough investigation I reserve judgement except to say that I think other options existed and that I don't think AM pre-dawn execution of a search warrant made sense since he didn't even have to consent or be present for it.

The agents who planned the operation mustn't have seen him as the type to go out in a blaze of glory since they showed up at his house in the dark and risked that very scenario yes?

Well, without more information I can't say anything about anyone's guilt in terms of the execution of the warrant. Hopefully there is more information at some point.

Regardless of whether Malinowski opened fire completely unprovoked or the ATF completely bungled the execution (or anything in between), it's sad a life was lost and an agent injured.

That's your opinion which I respect. But, no video exists, no body cam footage was released, no doorbell camera footage (if it exists) has been viewed by the public. No agents have been named.

There is one side of the story currently available and it's coming from the side that shot and killed a US Citizen while executing a search warrant in the AM before daylight.

Absent more evidence and a thorough investigation I reserve judgement except to say that I think other options existed and that I don't think AM pre-dawn execution of a search warrant made sense since he didn't even have to consent or be present for it.

The agents who planned the operation mustn't have seen him as the type to go out in a blaze of glory since they showed up at his house in the dark and risked that very scenario yes?
I certainly would like to hear their reasoning but again, would I be qualified to judge it? Regardless, too little is known to set about bashing anybody, IMHO. And I'm not trying to defend the ATF nor their actions. I'm saying we don't know enough to judge whether they precipitated this outcome through inappropriate actions or not.

I will be interested to hear more details in the fullness of time. Until then I don't see much to talk about on this subject. I was mainly curious about "We're bashing the ATF because...." from someone who earlier claimed to not be jumping to any conclusions due to the lack of info.

I believe he was a straw purchaser who believed on principal he had the right to sell any and all personal property he possessed.
The international angle here as one of the weapons was recovered in another county Canada is interesting given his position at an airport.
I can see where the straw purchase angle might come into play. Especially since he bought so many at once and sold them so quickly. But realistically, unless they can show where he purposefully bought something for a prohibited possessor it might be hard to prove.

Per the affidavit he stated to CI he didn’t need a 4473 for a private party sale. This was disclosed during one of the sales in question that resulted in this compliant as well as the application of an apple air tag by authorities. I would like to know if him becoming aware of this/ if it helped result in the outcome here or if he truly believed it to be a home invasion.
Private sales in most states don't need to be documented on a 4473. I think only 11 or so have implemented a state law requiring the sales to go through an FFL.

Private sales in most states don't need to be documented on a 4473. I think only 11 or so have implemented a state law requiring the sales to go through an FFL.

My state would be included in that. I came from another state where you could sell privately at swap meets, flea markets, and grocery store parking lots. It seems weird to me someone would be told they can’t sell
property they have acquired through legal mean. The threshold of needing an FFL to sell personal property is foreign to me.

A question to ask might be
Does an illegal centralized database exist for the BATF to validate the time to crime metric and duration between purchase and retrieval.

A question to ask might be
Does an illegal centralized database exist for the BATF to validate the time to crime metric and duration between purchase and retrieval.

I'm not sure how they store the data related to traces but they do have statistics that provide the time-to-crime information. The FBI maintains/provides these reports I believe.

Per Yahoo Mr. Malinowski knew he was being surveilled.
With this knowledge and four months to come up with a better plan; you corner the guy in his home where he has amassed a collection of firearms. His own actions led to his death. The actions BATF crated the scenario for it to happen.

The last line of your post is hilarious considering you made up scenarios yourselves and the end it with let’s wait for the body cam footage. It was a no knock until I wasn’t; and I don’t give blanket trust to ATF because of history.
Where again is yahoo making the claim he knew he was under surveillance?

Back