Aldo could have been the undisputed GOAT...

had champ champ been a thing back in the day. Obviously, he was the FW champ and had 7 defences before the McGregor fight. The biggest reason why we never saw him fight at 135 was because it was thought he couldn't make the weight and his performances would diminish (which has obviously now been diminished).

Had he fought at 135 anywhere between 2011 and 2013, IMO, he would have been the BW champ. We all know how a Faber fight would have gone at any weight class, and Aldos style back then especially would have been a nightmare for Dominick Cruz. He would have crushed the likes of Michael McDonald and Eddie Wineland, and Barao would have probably never got a hold of the belt given how they're both part of Nova Uniao. TJ would have been a tough fight but given that he didn't fight for the belt till 2014, Aldo could have cemented his legacy further....

By claiming the 155 belt in 2013. Old school fans know that at one point, Aldo was in discussions to fight Pettis for the strap. IMO, 2013 Aldo would have beaten Pettis handidly, similarly to how he fought TKZ. Even if Aldo had decided to move up earlier, say in 2011, the champ back then was Frankie Edgar and we know how that fight goes. Benson Henderson would have admittedly been a competitive fight, but its not outside the realm of possibility that Aldo could have beaten him on points. Still, Pettis and Edgar were way more winnable and in regards to title defences, 2013 aldo probably would have wrecked gil melendez

To conclude, Aldo matched up favourably against Cruz, Faber, Edgar and Pettis so theoretically, between 2011 and 2013, had DW sanctioned champion vs champion bouts more frequently, Aldo could have been a legitimate 3 division champ in arguably the three most competitive divisions in MMA. If Aldo had been the 135lb champ, 145lb champ and 155 lb champ simultaneously, or even just held all three belts during that 2011-2013 period, would he have been the undisputed GOAT?

What do you think sherbros?
You are wrong. it was not because champion versus champion was not sanctioned.

Aldo did not move up because Dana blocked him. Did not allow him to fight Pettis for the belt, unless he relinquished his FW belt, which is incredibly stupid, since he did not do that for ANYONE else. And one year later, he allowed COnor to do just that, with the difference is that Aldo held the belt and defended it for a very long time, and COnor did not defend ONCE.
Dana hates Aldo because Aldo spoke up about the low fighter's pay. Not his, mind you, but lower ranked fighters.
He also spoke up when UFC cut all fighter's sponsorship programs, unless they paid a fee to the UFC.

Aldo is only not a double champ because Dana did not allow.

If Aldo, at his peak, had the same opportunities that were given to Conor then yes I do think we would be talkin about Aldo as the undisputed GOAT nowadays

Never forget Aldo was barred from becoming a champ champ. The UFC told him he could fight for the LW title, but he'd have to give up his FW title which is why he never did it. Hence why we never got the Aldo vs Pettis dream matchup. Fuck the UFC.

You are wrong. it was not because champion versus champion was not sanctioned.

Aldo did not move up because Dana blocked him. Did not allow him to fight Pettis for the belt, unless he relinquished his FW belt, which is incredibly stupid, since he did not do that for ANYONE else. And one year later, he allowed COnor to do just that, with the difference is that Aldo held the belt and defended it for a very long time, and COnor did not defend ONCE.
Dana hates Aldo because Aldo spoke up about the low fighter's pay. Not his, mind you, but lower ranked fighters.
He also spoke up when UFC cut all fighter's sponsorship programs, unless they paid a fee to the UFC.

Aldo is only not a double champ because Dana did not allow.

I posted a version of this. Facts.

Hard to believe he has been able to make 135 late in his career when everyone always assumed that he would go up to 155 not down. If not for those 13 fateful seconds...

He tried. He offered to fight Pettis. But Dana wouldn't let him. He said he had to drop the belt to go up so he wouldn't hold up two divisions which is more antiquated bullshit from Dana.

In all honesty, when Aldo beat Edgar, Frankie had a legitimate claim to still being the 155 champ. That first fight of their's was a super fight to me. And Aldo soundly won it.
Dana sort of had a point, Aldo was prone to injury and not that active as champ. Him being champ of two divisions likely would hold them up. Aldo does not move the needle enough to risk that.

I agree with you on the first Edgar-Aldo fight, one of my all time most hyped match ups.

He fought in a shallow division back then

had champ champ been a thing back in the day. Obviously, he was the FW champ and had 7 defences before the McGregor fight. The biggest reason why we never saw him fight at 135 was because it was thought he couldn't make the weight and his performances would diminish (which has obviously now been diminished).

Had he fought at 135 anywhere between 2011 and 2013, IMO, he would have been the BW champ. We all know how a Faber fight would have gone at any weight class, and Aldos style back then especially would have been a nightmare for Dominick Cruz. He would have crushed the likes of Michael McDonald and Eddie Wineland, and Barao would have probably never got a hold of the belt given how they're both part of Nova Uniao. TJ would have been a tough fight but given that he didn't fight for the belt till 2014, Aldo could have cemented his legacy further....

By claiming the 155 belt in 2013. Old school fans know that at one point, Aldo was in discussions to fight Pettis for the strap. IMO, 2013 Aldo would have beaten Pettis handidly, similarly to how he fought TKZ. Even if Aldo had decided to move up earlier, say in 2011, the champ back then was Frankie Edgar and we know how that fight goes. Benson Henderson would have admittedly been a competitive fight, but its not outside the realm of possibility that Aldo could have beaten him on points. Still, Pettis and Edgar were way more winnable and in regards to title defences, 2013 aldo probably would have wrecked gil melendez

To conclude, Aldo matched up favourably against Cruz, Faber, Edgar and Pettis so theoretically, between 2011 and 2013, had DW sanctioned champion vs champion bouts more frequently, Aldo could have been a legitimate 3 division champ in arguably the three most competitive divisions in MMA. If Aldo had been the 135lb champ, 145lb champ and 155 lb champ simultaneously, or even just held all three belts during that 2011-2013 period, would he have been the undisputed GOAT?

2013 Pettis was a monster, i don't think it was a favorable matchup. I'd love to see him fight prime Cruz. Leg kick prime Aldo could have beaten anybody at the time

He tried. He offered to fight Pettis. But Dana wouldn't let him. He said he had to drop the belt to go up so he wouldn't hold up two divisions which is more antiquated bullshit from Dana.

In all honesty, when Aldo beat Edgar, Frankie had a legitimate claim to still being the 155 champ. That first fight of their's was a super fight to me. And Aldo soundly won it.
I agree. Which is why I would have loved to see him fight at 155 and fight Frankie when he was champ, or fight Pettis or Bendo or any of them from that time. Moving up would have been risky but he would have won that second belt and held it for a while in that division

I make 38 at the end of the month with honorary status of the liver being 70+. I just hate how he is shit on by people that likely didn't watch those years. I also hate that streak ended with 13 seconds and him fighting on, and Connor not doing shit to defend or be a champ worth a shit, but somehow vastly superior in accomplishments.
There's people who said jake paul could beat muhammad ali.
Sometimes you should just point and laugh at the monkey. Not pay attention to it.

Jose Aldo was undefeated for what, 10 years? Knocking down contenders left and right. He should always be in the GOAT discussions and should always be considered as one. He will arguably be the greatest featherweight of all time with Max being a close second depending on how he does in the next few years.

He probably couldve been lightweight champ too in the early period of the WEC merger.

He looks like a head on a stick body at 135 though...weirds me out

Aldo wanted to fight multiple LW champions, and keep his FW belt, but Uncle Dana didn't want Aldo to "hold the FW belt hostage".

Aldo could never become double champ because the UFC didn't allow it.

How does he become the greatest fighter of all time if he's clearly nit the best fighter ever? not even in his division
How does an inferior fighter becomes greater than his superiors?

UFC screwed Aldo, by not allowing him to fight for a second belt and not rematching Connor which in hindsight are both fights I think he would have won he would already be the GOAT.

The fact that Aldo was not granted an immediate rematch against McGregor is a travesty. The UFC is a circus.

Back