News Alex Volkanovski in favor of open scoring because he’s sick of excuses and fans crying robbery

what-do-you-mean-you-people.gif

I hespect and appreciate all fighters I just don't crotch camp like most of you people...
I don't crotch camp, I just don't expect anything more than a fighter doing his job well. If he misses out on extra pay because he doesn't wanna be personable that's on him, I appreciate his skills though.

Curious how much gambling has an effect on open scoring. Not nearly as much in-play betting when the scores are open.

Reactions: MT5
I don't crotch camp, I just don't expect anything more than a fighter doing his job well. If he misses out on extra pay because he doesn't wanna be personable that's on him, I appreciate his skills though.

I can agree with that - and generally fuck fans.

1404152663.0.jpg

Alexander Volkanovski is no stranger to competing in a closely fought battle. In his near-perfect 25-fight career, there’s only been one that stands out and it was his last encounter with former titlist, Max Holloway, in July 2020. “The Great” defeated “Blessed” via a split decision nod that many in the community believed should have gone to Holloway.

There have been plenty of questionable decisions since then and the discussion surrounding open scoring has amplified intensely in recent months, mostly following Holly Holm’s loss to Ketlen Vieira in the UFC Vegas 55 main event last month. Ahead of Volkanovski’s trilogy bout with Holloway this Saturday night at UFC 276, he expressed his thoughts on the concept.

“I don’t mind the open scoring thing,” Volkanovski told FREESTYLEBENDER. “I don’t think it’s that bad because ... you wanna know if you’re up or if you’re not or something like that.

“You should have a good enough corner to know that if you ain’t definitely taking the round, don’t sit there thinking, ‘Ah, we’re two up,’ you gotta have the right corner. I’m lucky enough to have a corner that even if we’re pretty comfortable we’re up, if there’s rounds that are still competitive, we’re still like, ‘We want these last rounds.’”

Volkanovski and Holloway have each secured two tremendous victories since last facing each other. The four combined fights weren’t nearly as competitive as the pair’s rematch and that alone has the start of the upcoming 11th round leaving MMA fans’ mouths salivating.

Unfortunately, as great and proven as Volkanovski has become in between these Holloway bouts, the Australian likely still needs a clear victory to keep the community off his back and avoid a reaction similar to the one he received after the rematch.

“To have that open scoring, to let everyone know, then you ain’t gonna have people crying about decisions and all that,” Volkanovski said. “It’s like, ‘Hey, you knew you were behind and you couldn’t do nothing about it.’ Because I’m sick of people using it as excuses. At the end of the day, open scoring will help with that but it shouldn’t have to because you should have a good enough team and corner behind you that ain’t gonna put you in that position anyway.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2022/6/...ng-sick-excuses-people-crying-about-decisions

Excuses are Dana's excuses to perpetually rebook fights he likes.

Amen bro, sorry for calling you "you people", you're a good one.

Np, my main point was that even with open scoring folks would still scream robbery and piss on the judging (which frequently isn't inappropriate unfortunately).

<RomeroSalute>

Outta Likes atm...

I suspect anybody against open scoring is just not very bright.
It comes with some unnecessary mindfuckery for the fighters and should not be the cure for horrible judging if you ask me.
But I also don't think fights should have rounds or fighters corners. Just put them in the cage and see what happens.
I also go through fitz of retardation so what do I know?

Open scoring is the way.. the reactions of fans, promotors, corners and fighters would probably have an impact on the judges..
Never thought about that as a flow on effect. Ol'Sal though. He giveth no shits. Or Adalaide Byrd for that matter...

Alex would not get anything out of open scoring.

I am sure his corner and him know exactly how much round he won/lost.
He's also one of the best round winner in ufc history.

This new Volk is way more dangerous than the one who fought Max the first two times.

Excited to see how the fight goes.

So fighters shouldn't be focused on the fight but have a emotional reaction after each round that got scored different then they expectef

...or we're boxing fans who've seen it fail in practice every time that it's been tried.

The most famous example of a fight with open scoring was when Canelo fought Austin Trout in 2013. The corrupt judge who was biased in favor of Canelo had no qualms about giving him every single round, even rounds that he clearly lost, despite the scores being read out in real time. It also screwed up Trout's gameplan because he started trying to fight aggressively to search for a KO, which wasn't his style, and ending up performing worse in the late rounds.
This is the exact fight I was gonna bring up
Open scoring sucks
Also takes a lot of the drama way from the fight if you already know who won before scores are read

I'm really hoping Max can pull it off.

The whole city kickboxing team are arrogant and unlikeable.

Exactly, they really are. I didn't realise at first tbh, but the more I see of them, yeah they really do seem arrogant and unlikeable, and a bit cringe and creepy too.

I hope Max batters the pesky little gnome, and as unlikely as it is, I hope Cannonier manages to KTFO Izzy.

What combat sports use open scoring? Boxing has been around for centuries and it’s been very rarely used.

Well you answered the question yourself it's been used a bit in boxing, bare knuckle boxing and some Kickboxing organisations.

pros and cons. its not going to stop people from crying robbery because they will still say that fighter A was robbed in specific rounds.

it might push the action in round 5 if its 2-2
but then you might also have instances where a guy is up 3-1 like Glover and instead of going for it he's just going to play D all of round 5 to coast.

If you put enough bonuses on finishes then there's still an incentive to finish the fight. Open scoring + automatic bonus for a finish would be the solution.

Volk is a smart man there's no reason not to have open scores, Invicta does it and it greatly improves the fighting.

I think each judge should have to announce their score before the round starts, just so we can all shame the shit judges for being shit judges.

Well you answered the question yourself it's been used a bit in boxing, bare knuckle boxing and some Kickboxing organisations.

It’s been rarely used over the years and for the most part nobody wants it in combat sports.

Thatt's like giving a guy with a bullet wound a hair cut.

Its a little bit better in a minor way but does nothing to fix the glaring issue with judging (95% of rounds being 10-9).

I suspect anybody against open scoring is just not very bright.

The only legitimate criticism I can think of is that it would create a lot of TERRIBLE third rounds when people knew they were up and just had to survive.

I think I'd still like to see it implemented anyway, but that's a very legitimate drawback.

Back