News Alexandre Pantoja to defend Flyweight title against Steve Erceg at UFC 301

Who Wins?

• Alexandre Pantoja

Votes: 64 77.1%
  • Steve Erceg

Votes: 19 22.9%

• Total voters
Easy Tim Eliott and Alex Perez not to mention the better win streak that Mokaev has.
A close 29-28 over years long layoff 2 fight losing streak alex Perez and a come from 2 rounds down win against perennial unranked-scalp snatcher elliott versus dvorak who was like 4 and 1 and schnell who was top 10 and actually active

My guess is not only their last performances, but I can also remember Mokaev himself saying he didn't do well and would like another fight before the title. He probably changed his mind when Erceg got it.

As well I saw Pantoja somewhere talking about how it's fine to skip someone like Erceg or Mokaev up for title shots, since he just wants to keep the ball rolling. So this doesn't surprise me.

1 boring fight and the UFC will skip over you for a title shot. Pretty brutal considering they’ve actively been hyping Mokaev up.

Pantoja’s cardio has that Aldo thing where these young contenders could potentially gas him out but he should be able to comfortably beat Erceg and Mokaev. He has an UGLY style but it’s damn effective and I doubt either challenger provides more issues than Moreno or Royval could.

A close 29-28 over years long layoff 2 fight losing streak alex Perez and a come from 2 rounds down win against perennial unranked-scalp snatcher elliott versus dvorak who was like 4 and 1 and schnell who was top 10 and actually active
That's one way to describe them. Another way is former title challengers. Can you say the same about Dowho and saywhat?

The real question is whether this is the main event. I'll assume no. Perhaps they throw Aspinall-Blaydes onto that card to beef it up.

They better come up with a great co-main, & a feature fight too for that matter.

They should've just kept Alex/Jamamahalal for 301 & used Leon/Belal as the 300 co-main. It was such a panic move.

1 boring fight and the UFC will skip over you for a title shot. Pretty brutal considering they’ve actively been hyping Mokaev up.

Pantoja’s cardio has that Aldo thing where these young contenders could potentially gas him out but he should be able to comfortably beat Erceg and Mokaev. He has an UGLY style but it’s damn effective and I doubt either challenger provides more issues than Moreno or Royval could.
this
I expect Pantoja to finish Erceg within 2 rounds.

That's one way to describe them. Another way is former title challengers. Can you say the same about Dowho and saywhat?
Title challenger elliott lol, earned it on TUF despite being 2-4 in the ufc at that time, hasn’t beaten anyone notable since

No bullshit I donk even know how that fool is?

UFC is in June.
Does not interfere with Ramadan. Two months to get ready for a fight is plenty of time.
UFC 301 is on May 4. Not in June. Ramadan would prevent him getting a full camp for that.

Guessing they needed a Brazilian champ to fight on 301 since the card is in Brazil otherwise they might have waited another month to fit Mokaev's timing.

Mokaev shit the bed in his last fight. Barely scraped by whats-his-face (who hasn’t won a fight in years?) by hugging his legs and getting front headlocked all day. Pathetic display of fighting, I don’t give a shit that he won on score cards.

200w.gif

Title challenger elliott lol, earned it on TUF despite being 2-4 in the ufc at that time, hasn’t beaten anyone notable since
And what did he do? Gave the GOAT of the division a hard fight almost submitted. What has Dvorak done in the UFC? The guy is one L from getting cut and that's apparently one of Ercegs big wins deserving him a title shot lol.

I think you guys are missing the actual cause: money. It's flyweight, what leverage do these guys have? I'm guessing they offered Mokaev the title fight but only for his base pay and his team felt insulted, like they rightfully should. But this is flyweight, the UFC can pass you right the fuck over and nobody will care.

DJ was making basically nothing for his entire FLW run, imagine what the tomato cans he was fighting were making.
I wouldn't look that deep into it. There are so many different variables. Ramadan, scheduling etc etc

Men's flyweight division is almost as bad as the women's 125 division if this is the kind of crap they come up with as a title challenger. Would Matt Schnell have gotten a title fight if he actually beat this Eggcreg guy?

Back