Aljamain Sterling shows x-ray of neck injury that is delaying Petr Yan rematch

Regardless its like clockwork that everytime a fighter wins the title they start finding injuries restricting them from fighting
Honestly it's probably true/them wanting to fight at 100% now that the stakes are much higher.

Versus fighting injured which pretty much everyone does (its a matter of "how" injured)

Regardless its like clockwork that everytime a fighter wins the title they start finding injuries restricting them from fighting
Usually because they finally got enough money (champ salary +ppv and extra sponsors) and negotiating position with the UFC to be able to afford the surgery and to sit out for a longer period of time without losing momentum as they come up.

I think the neck injury was more likely from when he got slammed on his head then the illegal knee
Truth be told it was a lot of pressure on his neck

His neck has been fucked up for a while. I remember him talking about it in an interview right after he fought Munhoz.

He's planning to fight in the fall. Fighters get injured and need time to recover. It's normal. Sherdog needs to relax in regards to Aljo.
I agree. It’s not like he’s having neck surgery for no good reason.

This is an injury that needs addressed sooner rather than later. He risks permanent nerve damage if he just tries to fight/train through it. I'd rather him take the time to get healthy. I can wait for a fight. Not a big deal.
As someone who does this for a living, I can assure you the chance of that is slim to none:

-first off that’s an MRI not a radiograph or X-ray. Axial (top down view) cut on right, saggital on left. T2 weighted to show nerve roots and cord best

- that’s a very small herniation with some but not a lot of foraminal stenosis. Hardly impressive at all. That being said, treat the patient not the image

- I’m not aware of all the non operative treatments he’s had. I’d recommend selective nerve root blocks till the cows come home because that’s not overly impressive. But if he’s done all that and is still miserable then maybe

- what are his symptoms? Can he not do a push up due to actual triceps weakness? Or is it weakness from pain. If it’s actual weakness and he’s done all the non op stuff then yea he’s probably a surgical candidate

- what type of surgery should he get? Fusion is the standard answer. But disc replacements have grown in popularity, especially in young active people, due to their faster recovery. I’ve had patients return to power lifting (against my recommendation I should point out) at 8 weeks post disc arthroplasty. A fusion needs 3 plus months before you can do anything over 10 lbs of lifting. A final option would be a minimally invasive foraminotomy. Think a mini rotorouter around the nerve root. Recovery time on that is the quickest of all. He could be back to activity at 4 weeks, and training at 2-3 months. But, this is what Peyton Manning initially tried and we all know his turned out...

No, it just healed on its own after making me nearly crippled.

that, the doctors said didn’t need surgery. And if it recovered, that’s good, sometimes it doesn’t.
Glad it worked out for you bruddah

As someone who does this for a living, I can assure you the chance of that is slim to none:

-first off that’s an MRI not a radiograph or X-ray. Axial (top down view) cut on right, saggital on left. T2 weighted to show nerve roots and cord best

- that’s a very small herniation with some but not a lot of foraminal stenosis. Hardly impressive at all. That being said, treat the patient not the image

- I’m not aware of all the non operative treatments he’s had. I’d recommend selective nerve root blocks till the cows come home because that’s not overly impressive. But if he’s done all that and is still miserable then maybe

- what are his symptoms? Can he not do a push up due to actual triceps weakness? Or is it weakness from pain. If it’s actual weakness and he’s done all the non op stuff then yea he’s probably a surgical candidate

- what type of surgery should he get? Fusion is the standard answer. But disc replacements have grown in popularity, especially in young active people, due to their faster recovery. I’ve had patients return to power lifting (against my recommendation I should point out) at 8 weeks post disc arthroplasty. A fusion needs 3 plus months before you can do anything over 10 lbs of lifting. A final option would be a minimally invasive foraminotomy. Think a mini rotorouter around the nerve root. Recovery time on that is the quickest of all. He could be back to activity at 4 weeks, and training at 2-3 months. But, this is what Peyton Manning initially tried and we all know his turned out...
“what are his symptoms? Can he not do a push up due to actual triceps weakness?”

Yes, that. And he said he has tried multiple non surgical options already. He also said he gave it 2 weeks after the fight to see if strength came back, and it didn’t. After 2 weeks he still couldn’t do a push-up.

And he decided against fusion. So the surgery is just to treat the herniated disk (IIRC).

Thanks for the comprehensive write up. That was awesome to read. PT?

“what are his symptoms? Can he not do a push up due to actual triceps weakness?”

Yes, that. And he said he has tried multiple non surgical options already. He also said he gave it 2 weeks after the fight to see if strength came back, and it didn’t.

Thanks for the comprehensive write up. That was awesome to read. PT?

Whoops. I just fast forwarded through the video and didn't really listen. C6-7 = C7 nerve root = triceps weakness. Yea thats a bummer. He needs surgery. And I'd personally recommend disc replacement. Safest and medium recovery period. Not sure if the UFC should strip him because it's not like this is a new injury so he can't claim the fight created it.

No, I am the same as the guy in the white coat describing everything :)

Whoops. I just fast forwarded through the video and didn't really listen. C6-7 = C7 nerve root = triceps weakness. Yea thats a bummer. He needs surgery. And I'd personally recommend disc replacement. Safest and medium recovery period. Not sure if the UFC should strip him because it's not like this is a new injury so he can't claim the fight created it.

No, I am the same as the guy in the white coat describing everything :)
Gotcha.

Ya he said no to fusion because he was afraid of making everything too inflexible. Understandable. But I suppose that would be next if this doesn’t work.

Ive had some bad neck issues before and you can still trane UFC if you want. It hurts but its not impossible. He clearly has had this injury for quite a while and was still training with it Now that Sterling is the undisputed champ(lol) he’s going to milk it for as much as possible and get his surgery done. So yeah hes only going to make fans hate him more

Aljo had the surgery today
Here he is saying Happy Ramadan from his hospital bed

Gotcha.

Ya he said no to fusion because he was afraid of making the neighboring disks too inflexible. Understandable. But I suppose that would be next if this doesn’t work.

Yes, disc replacements decrease adjacent segment disease requiring reoperation. That, in conjunction with the faster recovery time, is why it has (appropriately) become such a popular procedure

Because they have leverage so any injuries that were piling up that needed tending to can be tended to.

I hate it when this happens with new champs. And it looks a little fishy given the circumstances. But, there’s nothing anybody can do, unless the UFC wants to schedule an interim title fight.

A lot of them probably want surgeries but can't afford it or want to stay active to get in title contention first.

Once they get the title they're excited to finally take care of themselves. I see nothing wrong with this.

Post-surgery Aljo kicks Yan's ass. Imagine Aljo fighting thru that pain while still holding his own against Yan.

Back