All fights should be 3 rounds

You basically just described UFC 1 ;)
Well to be fair if a fights one round, the fighters would engage early and often for bonus pay.

I love the rd. System, I just like variety as well. I feel like there's a place for tinkering w the format a bit, and see what materializes

5 rounders favor point fighters, fighters can take a round off, where in a 3 rounder you can't really afford to.

5 rounders make fighters more timid and focus on energy conservation because they know that it could potentially go 5 rounds. In 3 round fights, if someone gets rocked, they are more likely to go for the finish because the contest doesn't last nearly 30 minutes.

5 rounders are bad for fighter longevity. We have all seen countless examples of this. Even if the fighter wins by first round stoppage, the training camp for a 5 rounder destroys your body. Its twice the sparring, twice the cardio.

3 rounders are more action packed. Fighters do not have to pace themselves as much and can afford to do more high energy takedowns like a suplex or a slam. In striking they can do more explosive strikes like wheel kicks and high kicks which you don't see nearly as much in 5 round fights. I

3 rounders on average will allow fighters to have longer careers. You get to see more of your favorite fighters. Many times after a 5 round war, fighters start to take more time off between their fights. The money and rankings are a factor, but its also because they are taking more damage in the 5 round fights and training camps. Fighters would be more active if all the fights were 3 rounds.

To those who say lay and pray would be more viable, this is incorrect. You might get away with it for one or two fights, but as soon as you lose, you would get cut just like Jared Rosholt, or just having a boring style in general like Theodorou. All the classic 5 rounders would be just as exciting packed into 3 rounds.

Its not the 5 rounds making it better, its the fact that its often a title fight between the top fighters in the division.
Wow. We have been gifted with some of the most amazing 5 round wars in all of combat sports and you spout this shit.

Robbie and Rory want a word with you buddy. Yoel will take you to town when they are finished with you.

These guys went so hard at it in 3 rounds and left everything there....I think if it went 5 rounds they would die of heart attack and fall to the ring in forever memory
Derrick-Lewis-Francis-Ngannou.jpg

These guys went so hard at it in 3 rounds and left everything there....I think if it went 5 rounds they would die of heart attack and fall to the ring in forever memory
Derrick-Lewis-Francis-Ngannou.jpg
The night the simulation glitched lol

5 rounders favor point fighters, fighters can take a round off, where in a 3 rounder you can't really afford to.

5 rounders make fighters more timid and focus on energy conservation because they know that it could potentially go 5 rounds. In 3 round fights, if someone gets rocked, they are more likely to go for the finish because the contest doesn't last nearly 30 minutes.

5 rounders are bad for fighter longevity. We have all seen countless examples of this. Even if the fighter wins by first round stoppage, the training camp for a 5 rounder destroys your body. Its twice the sparring, twice the cardio.

3 rounders are more action packed. Fighters do not have to pace themselves as much and can afford to do more high energy takedowns like a suplex or a slam. In striking they can do more explosive strikes like wheel kicks and high kicks which you don't see nearly as much in 5 round fights. I

3 rounders on average will allow fighters to have longer careers. You get to see more of your favorite fighters. Many times after a 5 round war, fighters start to take more time off between their fights. The money and rankings are a factor, but its also because they are taking more damage in the 5 round fights and training camps. Fighters would be more active if all the fights were 3 rounds.

To those who say lay and pray would be more viable, this is incorrect. You might get away with it for one or two fights, but as soon as you lose, you would get cut just like Jared Rosholt, or just having a boring style in general like Theodorou. All the classic 5 rounders would be just as exciting packed into 3 rounds.

Its not the 5 rounds making it better, its the fact that its often a title fight between the top fighters in the division.

Imagine if they just used PRIDE rounds ....

Much more efficient all around

I agree with TS, with Chael P Sonnen as well.
All fights should be 3 rounds.
More entertaining fights, less injuries, better for fighters brain, less point fighting, more finishes, more viewers etc. Like Sonnen said most fighters cant fight for 25minutes at the highest pace.

Why K1 is so great to watch? Because most fights are 3x3. Why boxing is more boring than k1 or mma? Because its 12x3.

3x5 its Perfect for mma, like 3x3 for kickboxing. Boxing should be 5x3.

I would like to see Ferguson vs Cerrone as a 5 round fight in the main event but If I have to chose then 3x5 its the best option even for championship fights which should be as long as normal fights

"Fights should ideally only be ONE round long."--MadTiger 3:16

It used to be that rounds were just breaks. They weren't scored. Then when fights were lasting 120 rounds and shit, they had to do something different.
14038402954_a3c62780fd_b.jpg

Nah. Five round fights are great.

"Fights should ideally only be ONE round long."--MadTiger 3:16

It used to be that rounds were just breaks. They weren't scored. Then when fights were lasting 120 rounds and shit, they had to do something different.
14038402954_a3c62780fd_b.jpg
Some would say that was due to no gloves and guys boxing in a way that protected their hands from breaking.

And the breaks were often when a guy went down, they had a minute break. On and on til one guy had enough.

Deduct 10% Round 1
then 15% Round 2
then 25% Round 3
A finish double purse

The coasters would start fighting and stop training to spar.

TS is correct.. 5 rounders prove who the better 5 round UFC fighter is; not who the better fighter is.

More rounds/less time

So instead 3 5 minute rounds

It’s gonna be 5 3 minute rounds

Fights should just keep going until someone gets finished or someone quits. No breaks.

Deduct 10% Round 1
then 15% Round 2
then 25% Round 3
A finish double purse

The coasters would start fighting and stop training to spar.

In those were the rules gsp would still be fighting...

Back