All Time GOAT poll

Bisping, Hendo, Masvidal, Ray Borg.. not all title shots are earned. Especially in the HW division. Stipe was only on a 2 fights win streak before challenging Werdum for the title.

JDS had only one win in his pocket when he got his rematch against Stipe. He had previously been knocked out by Overeem.
Bisping was a late injury replacement. He deserved it because he was willing to take it when others (Jacare for one) refused. Hendo wasn't deserving by ranking but Bisping deserved the rematch based on his contributions to the company. Hendo refused the rematch for years and this was his last fight. Masvidal didn't deserve it IMO.

Ray Borg didn't deserve it? Digging pretty deep there for examples. Sherdog rankings at FlyW before the fight:
DJ Champ
1. Joe B. - Lost to DJ 2 x
2. Cejudo - Lost to DJ by TKO
3. Horiguchi - DJ beat him (Not in the UFC)
4. Ray Borg won 5 of 6 before the fight and highest ranked fighter who hadn't challenged DJ yet.

So how is Borg an example?
Stipe was on a 2 fight streak? What kind of streak do you require? Do you have any idea how combat sports works? As you progress in your career your competition level rises. Its easy for a good fighter to go on a 8-10 fight streak against nobodies. Get to the big leagues and streaks aren't as lengthy. The longest win streak at HW is 9 in the UFC. That's not at the championship level that is as a contender. No champ has defended longer then Stipe (ie longest win streak at the top) but you are trying to claim he didn't deserve a title shot? C'mon think things thru from all sides not just what you want the answer to be.

Even if that were objectively true (and it isn't), his resume speaks for itself. Unlike Fedor and Anderson, virtually every fight GSP had in the UFC/Pride was a top 10 fight...and he won 95% of them

Bones Jones resume speaks for itself, a little louder. He is also the most well rounded in UFC history. He had an arsenal of attacks, and was simply fun to watch. GSP was (mostly) boring, occasionally exciting. Not only that he's gonna keep on fighting and put more heads in his trophy case.

I cant even fathom this argument anymore. Jon Jones is at least 2 rungs ahead on the ladder over GSP, Silva, Fedor et al. If we're going strickly by who they beat, and who was more exciting.

Oh for the record, Jon Jones won his belt back (a record) a total of 4 times. That is so impressive that he can keep his head straight and fight after all those suspensions, which admittedly were his own fault. But a little Snow and a Picogram isn't gong the change the fact of the matter. Jon Bones Jones is GoaT, you'll learn to accept it one day.

Bisping was a late injury replacement. He deserved it because he was willing to take it when others (Jacare for one) refused. Hendo wasn't deserving by ranking but Bisping deserved the rematch based on his contributions to the company. Hendo refused the rematch for years and this was his last fight. Masvidal didn't deserve it IMO.

Ray Borg didn't deserve it? Digging pretty deep there for examples. Sherdog rankings at FlyW before the fight:
DJ Champ
1. Joe B. - Lost to DJ 2 x
2. Cejudo - Lost to DJ by TKO
3. Horiguchi - DJ beat him (Not in the UFC)
4. Ray Borg won 5 of 6 before the fight and highest ranked fighter who hadn't challenged DJ yet.

So how is Borg an example?
Stipe was on a 2 fight streak? What kind of streak do you require? Do you have any idea how combat sports works? As you progress in your career your competition level rises. Its easy for a good fighter to go on a 8-10 fight streak against nobodies. Get to the big leagues and streaks aren't as lengthy. The longest win streak at HW is 9 in the UFC. That's not at the championship level that is as a contender. No champ has defended longer then Stipe (ie longest win streak at the top) but you are trying to claim he didn't deserve a title shot? C'mon think things thru from all sides not just what you want the answer to be.

I'm sticking to what i said. When you're fighting for the title, you're not necessarily at the top of your game. Sometimes you get fast tracked with good matchmaking, sometimes you get a last chance, sometimes you get cherry picked, sometimes it's late lucky replacement. So what you said is factually wrong.

I'm sticking to what i said. When you're fighting for the title, you're not necessarily at the top of your game. Sometimes you get fast tracked with good matchmaking, sometimes you get a last chance, sometimes you get cherry picked, sometimes it's late lucky replacement. So what you said is factually wrong.
What you said above is factually wrong. Not sure what your reading comprehension level is but here is EXACTLY what I said.

Pretty much every fighter getting a title shot with rare exceptions (Conor cough, cough) is pretty much at the top of their game."

Making absolute declarations leads to being wrong. Since I qualified that there are RARE exceptions which you seem to have missed I will excuse it. Your BJ Penn example is a great one. Which exact second of BJ Penn's career is his absolute best? You cannot say and nobody can. But what is certain is BJ was at the top of his game (maybe not 100% absolute far and away his best) when he fought for the WW & LW titles. He was sure as shit not at the top of his game in his last 7 fight losing streak but he also wasn't fighting for the title.

What you said above is factually wrong. Not sure what your reading comprehension level is but here is EXACTLY what I said.

Pretty much every fighter getting a title shot with rare exceptions (Conor cough, cough) is pretty much at the top of their game."

Making absolute declarations leads to being wrong. Since I qualified that there are RARE exceptions which you seem to have missed I will excuse it. Your BJ Penn example is a great one. Which exact second of BJ Penn's career is his absolute best? You cannot say and nobody can. But what is certain is BJ was at the top of his game (maybe not 100% absolute far and away his best) when he fought for the WW & LW titles. He was sure as shit not at the top of his game in his last 7 fight losing streak but he also wasn't fighting for the title.

This is still not true. There are dozens of examples where a fighter getting a titleshot is not at the top of his game. It's called ufc matchmaking for money.
Overeem and JDS were not "at the top of their game" when they got their title shot.
Welcome to the UFC tactics

This is still not true. There are dozens of examples where a fighter getting a titleshot is not at the top of his game. It's called ufc matchmaking for money.
Overeem and JDS were not "at the top of their game" when they got their title shot.
Welcome to the UFC tactics
Whatever dude. Everybody who was a champ wasn't any good because their opponents didn't deserve their title shots so they never beat anyone. Sherdogger's gonna Sherdog.

Bones Jones resume speaks for itself, a little louder. He is also the most well rounded in UFC history. He had an arsenal of attacks, and was simply fun to watch. GSP was (mostly) boring, occasionally exciting. Not only that he's gonna keep on fighting and put more heads in his trophy case.

I cant even fathom this argument anymore. Jon Jones is at least 2 rungs ahead on the ladder over GSP, Silva, Fedor et al. If we're going strickly by who they beat, and who was more exciting.

Oh for the record, Jon Jones won his belt back (a record) a total of 4 times. That is so impressive that he can keep his head straight and fight after all those suspensions, which admittedly were his own fault. But a little Snow and a Picogram isn't gong the change the fact of the matter. Jon Bones Jones is GoaT, you'll learn to accept it one day.

What sets GSP and Jones apart is their fight IQ allowed them to scrape by in fights where their opponent was physically better than them on the evening (younger up and comers). Some of the other guys being mentioned (we know who) started losing first round finishes once their "physical prime" was over. Fight IQ is the essence of an all-time great and is best exhibited by the two fighters I mentioned. Too many people excusing someone's losses because they were "past their prime".

GSP beating prime Penn & Hughes x2 is better than anybody on Jones' resume imo.

GSP is the goat because he beat everyone he ever faced and overcame adversity. won at multiple levels and had the best technique while dominating the best era during the UFC's peak. also never did PED's like the other goats silva and jones. also proved he can step out of retirement at any time and beat the best guy. even made khabib retire to avoid a possible fight

GSP is the goat because he beat everyone he ever faced and overcame adversity. won at multiple levels and had the best technique while dominating the best era during the UFC's peak. also never did PED's like the other goats silva and jones. also proved he can step out of retirement at any time and beat the best guy. even made khabib retire to avoid a possible fight

Ok I agree on all points except "step out of retirement and beat the besy guy"...Bisping was not the best guy in that division, that's why he was cherrypicking opponents like Dan Henderson for his defenses. GSP did not want to face the real contenders in that division like Whitaker and had a hand in holding the division up for a better part of a year. He also did not defend the title. Honestly, GSP's legacy would be better if he never came out of retirement.

Ok I agree on all points except "step out of retirement and beat the besy guy"...Bisping was not the best guy in that division, that's why he was cherrypicking opponents like Dan Henderson for his defenses. GSP did not want to face the real contenders in that division like Whitaker and had a hand in holding the division up for a better part of a year. He also did not defend the title. Honestly, GSP's legacy would be better if he never came out of retirement.
so you think coming out of retirement. moving up in weight ( one of the hardest things to do well ) and winning the title after 4 years off was a bad idea. sure lol

so you think coming out of retirement. moving up in weight ( one of the hardest things to do well ) and winning the title after 4 years off was a bad idea. sure lol

Actually moving down an extra weight class is way harder as you cut extra weight (GSP didn't have to cut weight)...the point is you act like he moved up and took on the best in the higher weight class, which he did not...Bisping had one eye and was a totally shot fighter at this point...he landed a good punch on Rockhold, which good for him...but if you are arguing GSP's place at the top of the list, I'd leave the middleweight fiasco out of the argument. Jones and other fighters have won after long layoffs as well, its hard to do but does not set GSP apart from the folks on this list.

I already posted this list on another thread but i feel confidently that this is the most accurate Goat list you can possibly have all things considered.
1.Jones
2.Gsp
3.Anderson
4.Feydor
5.Mouse
6.King of Rio
7.DC
8.Randy Couture
9.BJ Penn
10.Matt Hughes
11.Khabib
12.Alex V
13.Dominick Cruz
14.Henry Cejudo
15.Kamaru Usman
16.Israel Adesanya
17.Conor Mcgregor
18.Max Holloway
19.Stipe Miocic
20.Cain V
21.Chuck Liddell
22.Dan Henderson
23.Wanderlei Silva
24.Frank Shamrock
25.Minotauro
26.Tito Ortiz
27.Frankie Edgar
28.Cro Cop
29.Shogun
30.Lyoto Machida
31.Kazushi Sakuraba
32.Royce Gracie
33.Bas Rutten
34.Fabricio Werdum
35.TJ Dillshaw
36.Pat Miletich
37.Chris Weidman
38.Robert Whittaker
39.Rich Ace Franklin
40.Benson Henderson
41.Charles Oliveira
42.Vitor Belfort
43.Michael Bisping
44.Robbie Lawler
45.Tim Sylvia
46.Dustin Poirier
47.Uriah Faber
48.Renan Barao
49.Rampage
50.Tyron Woodley
HM:Overeem, JDS, RDA, Ferguson, Pettis, Eddie Alvarez, Jens Pulver, Sean Sherk, Mark Coleman, Frank Mir, Brock Lesnar, Josh Barnett, Andrei Arlovski, Gegard Mousasi,

I voted GSP based off his dominance, resilience to come back after defeat and avenge his only losses, and retired on top with 2 belts.

jon Jones is undefeated but I think GSP fought tougher competition.
If Anderson Silva would’ve retired before Weidman he would be up there too. Same with Fedor, if he retired before Werdum he would be the GOAT.

I do not include Khabib because I feel he retired too early. We only got a couple championship fights from him whereas DJ, Cruz, Hughes, GSP, Silva, Jones, Fedor were all long reigning champions against legit competition.

Can we add roman reigns? I mean if youre gonna add people from organizations where they fixed fights. Before you get mad at me this is per their own fighters

I already posted this list on another thread but i feel confidently that this is the most accurate Goat list you can possibly have all things considered.
1.Jones
2.Gsp
3.Anderson
4.Feydor
5.Mouse
6.King of Rio
7.DC
8.Randy Couture
9.BJ Penn
10.Matt Hughes
11.Khabib
12.Alex V
13.Dominick Cruz
14.Henry Cejudo
15.Kamaru Usman
16.Israel Adesanya
17.Conor Mcgregor
18.Max Holloway
19.Stipe Miocic
20.Cain V
21.Chuck Liddell
22.Dan Henderson
23.Wanderlei Silva
24.Frank Shamrock
25.Minotauro
26.Tito Ortiz
27.Frankie Edgar
28.Cro Cop
29.Shogun
30.Lyoto Machida
31.Kazushi Sakuraba
32.Royce Gracie
33.Bas Rutten
34.Fabricio Werdum
35.TJ Dillshaw
36.Pat Miletich
37.Chris Weidman
38.Robert Whittaker
39.Rich Ace Franklin
40.Benson Henderson
41.Charles Oliveira
42.Vitor Belfort
43.Michael Bisping
44.Robbie Lawler
45.Tim Sylvia
46.Dustin Poirier
47.Uriah Faber
48.Renan Barao
49.Rampage
50.Tyron Woodley
HM:Overeem, JDS, RDA, Ferguson, Pettis, Eddie Alvarez, Jens Pulver, Sean Sherk, Mark Coleman, Frank Mir, Brock Lesnar, Josh Barnett, Andrei Arlovski, Gegard Mousasi,

You didnt start out well:

- Official sherdog p4p rankings during GSP championship years:

2012 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-45047

2011 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-36383

2010 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-23166

2009 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/rankings/Sherdogcoms-PoundforPound-Top-10-17145

2008 - Silva #1
https://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/GSP-Moves-Up-P4P-List-But-Not-to-Top-12459

Then I saw DC and Miocic 11 spots apart which doesnt make much sense

Then I realized you had Edgar and Sakuraba out of top 25 which hurts to see.

Finally I saw Sylvia listed, above the likes of JDS or Ngannou, and it was all over mate

It could have been worst though

Jones, undefeated & undisputed. Fans wont admit it due to the bitterness of his wins against fan favorites and his character. Best resume of W's.
(We all know that one DQ wasn't a loss)

Stipe is in fact the only guy to nip at the heels of Fedor in terms of heavyweight accomplishments.

Here’s my list:

1 Fedor: most consecutive “title fight worthy” wins (7.) Beat 7 former UFC champions.
2 Stipe: most consecutive and most total HW title wins in UFC history. Beat Cormier in the trilogy. Beat everyone on your list that he fought.
3 Werdum: Beat Fedor, Cain, Nogueira, and many others. However, never defended his UFC belt.
4 Ngannou: 1-1 with Stipe, but left before doing the trilogy. Far fewer accomplishments than Stipe.
5 Cain: Wasn’t able to sustain his career. Lost to Werdum, never avenged it.
6 Cormier: Great champion, but Stipe beat him in the trilogy. Stipe has a far superior resume at HW.
JDS: Great champion, but I’ve never had him on my goat list. Cain beat him in the trilogy. Stipe beat him.

You can easily make an argument for Stipe being the heavyweight goat.

I'd say p4p all time I would put Cormier over Stipe because I believe he has better wins overall at LHW and HW. But I have Stipe ahead in the heavyweight department. I'd also put Cormier above Cain.

Back