"Always The Bridesmaid, Never The Bride" Fighters At Every Division?

whittaker was a champ who defended belt. Poire was interim champ. Ferg was interim Champ. Dc was champ at lhw who defended several times. I think you suck at this

Interim champ is the definition of bridesmaid bro
DC was the fake champ at lhw who got KO'd and became champ (lol),

Whittaker, fair enough, but he's the clear number two now to Izzy

who are some fighters that are perennial top 2-3 but just can't win the big one when it matters? basically fighters who are too good to be gatekeepers but not quite champ material for whatever reason?

LW: Dustin or Gaethje
WW: Colby
MW: Vettori or Brunson
HW: Volkov or Blaydes

in the women's divisions I'd say the only one that comes to mind is Germaine De Randamie and I guess post-Rose Joanna. I know she was champ, but she could never win fights that mattered after Rose beat her the 1st time

a scary thought is Max might become one of these fighters at FW if he loses to Volk again <Varys01>
mw should honestly be whittaker

whittaker was a champ who defended belt. Poire was interim champ. Ferg was interim Champ. Dc was champ at lhw who defended several times. I think you suck at this
whittaker has no defenses, and was a promoted interim champion. bridesmaid if you ask me

mw should honestly be whittaker

whittaker has no defenses, and was a promoted interim champion. bridesmaid if you ask me
Not sure about Whittaker, he was promoted sure but that's because GSP was smart enough to bounce after beating Bisping, he was getting stomped if he stuck around. As for defenses blame Yoel's fat ass for that, Yoel's actually a better example at MW. Mendes though is arguably one of if not the best fighter to never win a belt, genuine beast. Prime Gustafsson also is a good shout, went to war with both DC and Jones.

Not sure about Whittaker, he was promoted sure but that's because GSP was smart enough to bounce after beating Bisping, he was getting stomped if he stuck around. As for defenses blame Yoel's fat ass for that, Yoel's actually a better example at MW. Mendes though is arguably one of if not the best fighter to never win a belt, genuine beast. Prime Gustafsson also is a good shout, went to war with both DC and Jones.
well actually i think yoel won the fight or it was a draw at worse so even if he did technically win i dont accept it as such..

much like I reject the idea of machida having a defense against shogun

well actually i think yoel won the fight or it was a draw at worse so even if he did technically win i dont accept it as such
Doesn't that in your mind make Yoel even more of a bridesmaid? If in your book he should have got the decision it was only his fat ass holding him back. Poor fucker got too fat for his dress on his big day.

FLW: Joseph Benavidez
BW: Raphael Assuncao
FW: Chad Mendes
LW: Dustin Poirier (Interim Champ excluding)
WW: Colby Covington & Rory Macdonald
MW: Vitor Belfort & Yoel Romero
LHW: Gustafson
HW: Curtis Blaydes

Rumble lost to DC twice. I figure if we include Gus we should include Rumble.

gsp, jon jones, anderson silva

Reactions: TR1
The only answer for this question is Joey b

Is it though? John Dodson couldn't even win either of his two title fights in the regionals, and lost two in the UFC.

That's four title defeats from the bottom right the way to the top.

Does Joey really beat him?

HW: Mirko Cro Cop (lost title fights to Nogueira & Fedor)
MW: Vitor Belfort (lost to Anderson Silva & Chris Weidman)
LW: Kenny Florian (lost title fights against Sherk, Penn, and Aldo)
FW: Chad Mendes (lost title fights to Aldo x2 & McGregor)
BW: Joseph Benavidez (lost title fights to Cruz (WEC) x2, DJ (UFC) x2, Figueiredo (UFC) x2)
FLY: John Dodson (lost to Joe Doherty (Ring of Fire), Pat Runez (UWC), DJ (UFC) x2)
Those would be my picks with Fitch for WW, lost to GSP, went on another tear, lost to Hendricks.

Doesn't that in your mind make Yoel even more of a bridesmaid? If in your book he should have got the decision it was only his fat ass holding him back. Poor fucker got too fat for his dress on his big day.
good point but for me it's hard to take him seriously as that guy. Whittaker never really beat a champion to get his title... and the first time he faced someone else with a ufc title he lost...

Basically despite how far he's gone, Robert whittaker has never beaten a ufc champion. Or even a former ufc champion, much like all these other people.

I think Vettori is young enough to still win a title. Despite losing to Izzy their first fight was close and the 2nd was a snooze fest but in either case he never got crushed

Wonderboy when was a little younger

Wonderboy and Maynard are arguably the two guys who came closest to holding the belt without actually doing it. Maynard has a draw and almost finished it twice. Wonderboy has a draw and (unlike Maynard) went to a decision again a second time in a fight that many thought he may have won.

good point but for me it's hard to take him seriously as that guy. Whittaker never really beat a champion to get his title... and the first time he faced someone else with a ufc title he lost...

Basically despite how far he's gone, Robert whittaker has never beaten a ufc champion. Or even a former ufc champion, much like all these other people.

That’s only because Bisping fought Henderson and GSP. Romero and Whittaker were the two best middleweights that entire time, and Weidman and Rockhold were probably next. It was very odd.

Wonderboy and Maynard are arguably the two guys who came closest to holding the belt without actually doing it. Maynard has a draw and almost finished it twice. Wonderboy has a draw and (unlike Maynard) went to a decision again a second time in a fight that many thought he may have won.

God damn I totally forgot about Gray Maynard.

Where is Gray Maynard.

Back