Am i missing something?

Interim championship status simply means his next fight is a unification fight ..it doesnt mean you go ahead of anyone, just means the HW title is now disputed.. and will need to be rectified at some point either through combat or vacancy...or if Tom loses , then the belt status is removed ..its a way to keep selling "championship fights" and create angles for future unification bouts...

Both Jones and Stipe want this fight , Jones wants to fulfill that fight because he got injured , as my quote says above
No. Being interrim champ means you are the champ while the champ is away/injured. Meaning the interrim champ is the nr.1 title contender when the champ returns. Even UFC's website puts Aspinall as nr.1 contender -

And sure Jon and Stipe wants this fight. Jon get to fight a old fighter who lost 2 of his last 4 by K.O., and Stipe gets a payday.

No. Being interrim champ means you are the champ while the champ is away/injured. Meaning the interrim champ is the nr.1 title contender when the champ returns. Even UFC's website puts Aspinall as nr.1 contender -

And sure Jon and Stipe wants this fight. Jon get to fight a old fighter who lost 2 of his last 4 by K.O., and Stipe gets a payday.

Hes beyond #1 contender status..his next fight will be a title shot...that doesnt mean hes the next fight for the champion...

This happens in boxing all the time... Thats why they started creating .. mandatory title challenger statuses... MMA doesnt have that ... thus we have this situation...

Jones is and was in line to fight Stipe...nothing about Tom getting the interim stops that fight from happening...

All this hub bub about interim title doesnt actually mean a whole lot when u consider Tom's position fully ..

No matter what this is what happens next for Tom .

1) Becomes undisputed champion if Jones and Stipe retire after fighting . ( Still a win overall your now champion..., and will get PPV points on his next fight)

2) Stipe beats Jones and fights Tom to unify the balts ...tom wins ( Beocmes the real champion, gets ppv points , he beats the guy who beats jones gaining both their legacies)

3) Jones beats Stipe and fights Tom, Tom beats jones ( Unlikely IMO if jones is healthy) , ( Tom becomes real champion, gets PPV points and is the guy who Beat Jones)

Almost nothing changes in all three of these options for Tom...and in actuality...allowing Jones and Stipe to fight into retirement actually helps him to become HW champion without even having to had to fight either one of them both a being a very stern test for him ...

Now lets look at the alternative..

He fights jones next instead of Stipe and loses...thus losing his interim status and Jones retires after beating yet another young HW who was inexperienced at that championship level and rides off into the sunset as the undefeated lhw and HW two division champion with title defenses in each Division.... Is that what you'd want?

Im just saying...if im Tom...im probably not pushing too hard for this fight and instead im just keeping quiet biding my time and sharpening my skills and see where the chips fall after Jones and Stipe because right now i hold the Golden ticket....

Hes beyond #1 contender status..his next fight will be a title shot...that doesnt mean hes the next fight for the champion...

This happens in boxing all the time... Thats why they started creating .. mandatory title challenger statuses... MMA doesnt have that ... thus we have this situation...

Jones is and was in line to fight Stipe...nothing about Tom getting the interim stops that fight from happening...

All this hub bub about interim title doesnt actually mean a whole lot when u consider Tom's position fully ..

No matter what this is what happens next for Tom .

1) Becomes undisputed champion if Jones and Stipe retire after fighting . ( Still a win overall your now champion..., and will get PPV points on his next fight)

2) Stipe beats Jones and fights Tom to unify the balts ...tom wins ( Beocmes the real champion, gets ppv points , he beats the guy who beats jones gaining both their legacies)

3) Jones beats Stipe and fights Tom, Tom beats jones ( Unlikely IMO if jones is healthy) , ( Tom becomes real champion, gets PPV points and is the guy who Beat Jones)

Almost nothing changes in all three of these options for Tom...and in actuality...allowing Jones and Stipe to fight into retirement actually helps him to become HW champion without even having to had to fight either one of them both a being a very stern test for him ...

Now lets look at the alternative..

He fights jones next instead of Stipe and loses...thus losing his interim status and Jones retires after beating yet another young HW who was inexperienced at that championship level and rides off into the sunset as the undefeated lhw and HW two division champion with title defenses in each Division.... Is that what you'd want?

Im just saying...if im Tom...im probably not pushing too hard for this fight and instead im just keeping quiet biding my time and sharpening my skills and see where the chips fall after Jones and Stipe because right now i hold the Golden ticket....

Aspinall can either wait untill Stipe vs Jon is done, then wait longer if there is a rematch, then wait longer in case of injuries.......While not getting paid and just watch the clock tick down on his career

Or

Aspinall can fight other people, risk losing, which means he is no longer the nr.1 contender. Asking him to fight other people is asking him to risk his career.

The fact is, that Jon wants to have as easy a fight as possible, and 40+ year old Stipe, who has fought 4 times in 6 years, and lost 2 of those fights by K.O, is seen as a much easier opponent for Jon.

Lol how is it a duck...

Who has Aspinall beat really? ..

How does he stack up to Stipe Opponent wise...

Its not even close man...

I'm sure Tom is the guy to beat Jones right? Just like Gane was and is the Future of the HW division and there's no way Jones will beat him ..hes too small to compete with such a big HW ..ETC...

Stipe is probably the more entertaining fight , then Tom vs Jones anyways... Too many people sleeping on Stipe who BTW rocked Ngannou seconds before getting clipped himself

I think Stipe can beat Jones. It’s not like Jon is a power puncher. And there’s no way he bullies Stipe around with grappling the way he did to Gane.

Aspinall can either wait untill Stipe vs Jon is done, then wait longer if there is a rematch, then wait longer in case of injuries.......While not getting paid and just watch the clock tick down on his career

Or

Aspinall can fight other people, risk losing, which means he is no longer the nr.1 contender. Asking him to fight other people is asking him to risk his career.

The fact is, that Jon wants to have as easy a fight as possible, and 40+ year old Stipe, who has fought 4 times in 6 years, and lost 2 of those fights by K.O, is seen as a much easier opponent for Jon.

Lets actually look at the facts.

Aspinall was not considered in the decision of Jon jones vs Stipe. He was an afterthought nor was he seen as a tougher option to jones.,. Sergei was the backup because he was deemed a better/tougher fighter than Aspinall. That reason being that he beat Blaydes and Aspinall lost to Blaydes. Jones got injured and Aspinall became interim. But Why should jones break an initial contract that he has in place for this kid. The fight with Jones and Stipe had already been signed/agreed upon so why should Jones cut the agreement for Aspinall, some kid crying for his comeupance. What you wrote is inaccurate, Jones did no see Stipe as an easier fight to Aspinall because Aspinall was not even a thought when they made the fight. It was Sergei who was was the fill in and who was thought to be the better fighter. That is why he was the fill in for Stipe against Jones, not Aspinall who was thought to be inferior.

Last edited:
Lets actually look at the facts.

Aspinall was not considered in the decision of Jon jones vs Stipe. He was an afterthought nor was he seen as a tougher option to jones.,. Sergei was the backup because he was deemed a better/tougher fighter than Aspinall. That reason being that he beat Blaydes and Aspinall lost to Blaydes. Jones got injured and Aspinall became interim. But Why should jones break an initial contract that he has in place for this kid. The fight with Jones and Stipe had already been signed/agreed upon so why should Jones cut the agreement for Aspinall, some kid crying for his comeupance. What you wrote is inaccurate, Jones did no see Stipe as an easier fight to Aspinall because Aspinall was not even a thought when they made the fight. It was Sergei who was was the fill in and who was thought to be the better fighter. That is why he was the fill in for Stipe against Jones, not Aspinall who was thought to be inferior.
"why should Jones cut the agreement for Aspinall,"

Because aspinal is the interrim champ.
Because Stipe lost his right to fight for a championship when he had 4 fights in 6 years, and lost 2 of them.
Because the fight with Stipe was a choice taken to fight an opponent that is old, and losing 50% of his recent fights.
Because Jon vs Stipe is no longer relevant. No matter who wins, there will either be a rematch, or they will probably both retire. Leaving us with a new HW champ that never beat the "real" HW champ.

This write-up is 4 months old, so add 4 months more to anything said -

"Since there has been a lot of talk recently as Tom has been voicing his displeasure with Stipe refusing to fight him, I decided to check into some things and found some interesting facts that put into perspective just how long Stipe has been inactive.

So, since the last time Stipe Miocic fought:

1.) Francis Ngannou defended his title against Gane, had major knee surgery, sat out over a year, signed with a different promotion, boxed Tyson Fury, and will now box AJ.

2.) Derrick Lewis fought 8 times. Kevin Holland fought 9 times.

3.) Alex Pereira made his UFC debut, won a belt, lost the belt, changed divisions, and won a belt again.

4.) Gregor Gillespie fought.

And finally, Stipe’s last win was August 15,2020 (1,255 days ago). At that time, the following fighters had not yet made their UFC debut:

Alex Periera, Jailton Almeida, Shavkat Rakhmanov, Benoit Saint Denis, Ian Garry..

Jiri Prochazka and Tom Aspinall made their debut the month before Stipe’s last win.

As of now, we know that Stipe declined to fight Tom at UFC 300 in April. Jones is out for several more months, at minimum, so it seems as if Stipe will end up getting his title fight in the summer, at the soonest.

At that point, he will be over 4 years without a win and will have one of the longest periods of inactivity prior to a title shot in the history of the UFC. What is everyone’s opinion on how this should be handled by the UFC?"

Last edited:
I think Stipe can beat Jones. It’s not like Jon is a power puncher. And there’s no way he bullies Stipe around with grappling the way he did to Gane.

Its a much better fight IMO too...Stipe has proven to be at the top level and is no joke...people are acting like Stipe woke up in a wheelchair today because hes 40

90% of the forum claimed it to be so that Gane was the one to kill Jones .... I see many of the same posters swinging on Tom's nuts now ...

Maybe not u perhaps ...but Stipe vs Jones is the better fight IMO..
Exactly. Many of us remember this same giddy confidence people had about Gane beating Jones. That sure got extinguished quickly didn't it?

Interim championship status simply means his next fight is a unification fight ..it doesnt mean you go ahead of anyone
I love how Jon nuthuggers have just made up these new rules and understandings of interm belts in their heads all of a sudden.
Metaphysically ducking for their boy.

Exactly. Many of us remember this same giddy confidence people had about Gane beating Jones. That sure got extinguished quickly didn't it?
Yeah right? Everyone thought the guy who got wrestlefucked by Ngannou, and who showed he had zero groundgame or takedown defense, would beat Jon Jones, the wrestler.

Which is why Jon was the -165 favorite.

You guys are hillarious.

When bisping wanted to fight old Hendo everyone said he was ducking Yoel and when Colby ducks a younger contender he gets shit on yet when jones does it it’s perfectly ok
We have to accept that Jon Jones fans think differently. That is why I have said before, Jon Jones fans seem to be in love with Jon. It is like a battered wife defending her husband - normal people will never understand it. Which is why reading Jon Jones fans posts is an exercise in trying to understanding their mental gymnastics.

When bisping wanted to fight old Hendo everyone said he was ducking Yoel and when Colby ducks a younger contender he gets shit on yet when jones does it it’s perfectly ok

This isn't even close to the same thing LOL ...

Yeah right? Everyone thought the guy who got wrestlefucked by Ngannou, and who showed he had zero groundgame or takedown defense, would beat Jon Jones, the wrestler.

Which is why Jon was the -165 favorite.

You guys are hillarious.
He wasn't the favorite according to many giddy Sherdoggers. Also how about that incredible wrestling Aspinall has shown us? He'd stop Jones FOR SURE lol

The one who is undeserving is jones. He’s only ever fought once at heavyweight, beating Gane who wasn’t even a champion.

Aspinall is the proven best heavyweight in the world. He’s the true champ. Hence why jones is avoiding him.

We have to accept that Jon Jones fans think differently. That is why I have said before, Jon Jones fans seem to be in love with Jon. It is like a battered wife defending her husband - normal people will never understand it. Which is why reading Jon Jones fans posts is an exercise in trying to understanding their mental gymnastics.
I wouldn't say I'm a fan actually.
Just a realist.

Back