Amanda Nunes vs Kayla Harrison - Open Weight

Kayla is fighting in the Minor Leagues. Nunes starches her inside of 2 minutes at any weight.

Probably 150 lb vs 175 lb real world. HUGE striking advantage Nunes but she'd be hitting a tree. If, BIG if, Harrison could get her down, could Nunes get up?

I know we're not allowed to have nice things, but humor me. Thoughts?
Nunes KOs her quick. Doubt Kayla could even get her down tbh and even if she did Nunes is no slouch on the ground.

They train together. Kayla isn't that much bigger than Nunes. There are a few pictures and you can verify it. Nunes is slightly taller and thinner. If anything Nunes probably put the beats on her when she was new to ATT.

It's hard to say without seeing her striking accuracy, strikes landed, takedown accuracy etc. But in general, she's way bigger and looks pretty dominant on the ground and feet.

kayla-harrison-larissa-pacheco-pfl-championship-2019-7.jpg

Olympic Games
16px-Gold_medal_icon_%28G_initial%29.svg.png
2012 London –78 kg
2016 Rio de Janeiro –78 kg
World Judo Championships
2010 Tokyo –78 kg
16px-Bronze_medal_icon_%28B_initial%29.svg.png
2011 Paris –78 kg
2014 Chelyabinsk –78 kg
Pan American Games
2011 Guadalajara –78 kg
2015 Toronto –78 kg
Pan American Judo Championships
2010 San Salvador –78 kg
2011 Guadalajara –78 kg
2016 Havana –78 kg
16px-Silver_medal_icon_%28S_initial%29.svg.png
2015 Edmonton –78 kg
2013 San José

Win 7–0 Larissa Pacheco Decision (unanimous) PFL 10 December 31, 2019 5 5:00 New York City, New York, United States 2019 PFL Women's Lightweight Championship bout.
Win 6–0 Bobbi Jo Dalziel Submission (armbar) PFL 7 October 11, 2019 1 3:32 Las Vegas, Nevada, United States 2019 PFL Women's Lightweight Semifinal bout.
Win 5–0 Morgan Frier Submission (key lock) PFL 4 July 11, 2019 1 3:35 Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States
Win 4–0 Larissa Pacheco Decision (unanimous) PFL 1 May 9, 2019 3 5:00 Uniondale, New York, United States
Win 3–0 Moriel Charneski TKO (punches) PFL 11 December 31, 2018 1 3:39 New York City, New York, United States
Win 2–0 Jozette Cotton TKO (punches) PFL 6 August 16, 2018 3 1:24 Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States
Win 1–0 Brittney Elkin Submission (armbar) PFL 2 June 21, 2018 1 3:18 Chicago, Illinois, United States Lightweight debut.

Nunes KOs her quick. Doubt Kayla could even get her down tbh and even if she did Nunes is no slouch on the ground.
Oh, she can get her down. That part is a given. Her Judo all but guarantees this. But I don't know if she can submit her.

Kayla hasn't evolved her game enough yet for this discussion. I don't think it would be a fair fight. Not saying Kayla couldn't win, but it would be literally a lay and pray type situation. Nunes has so much more experience and so many more tools at this point. It would be like putting Kron Gracie against Max Holloway or something.

Kayla just won but couldn't finish someone named Larissa Pacheco. I stand by my statement that Nunes would knock her out on the feet. If Kayla can't stop Pacheco she'd have nothing for Nunes at this point. Not saying she can't get better but right now Kayla gets starched like Ronda did.

The only reason I even bring it up is that, outside of Shevchenko, there's no fight for Nunes that interests me. And Harrison isn't making 145, nor should. Let's go old school. No weight limit.

Could Harrison protect her head long enough to get double underhooks on Nunes? Five times. That's the fight.

I hope we get to see this because I think it's the most interesting potential women's fight out there right now.

They train together at ATT. Probably not going to happen.

Kayla has no striking. Amanda would keep it on the feet, and it would be over in Round 1 or 2.

we'll never know. nunes is on another planet right now. harrison is a hell of a fighter, but she isn't a match for nunes today. by the time she is, if she ever is, nunes will be retired.

Harrison has just 7 pro fights. Embarrassing that this even a discussion.
It's not embarrassing at all. Who poses a bigger threat to Nunes right now than Harrison other than Shevchenko? It's by far the most compelling fight for Nunes right now.

Someone posted the Nunes-Ronda gif - Ronda couldn't even spell double leg. Kayla has an explosive shot, and I'd argue she's also more competent standing than Ronda. My biggest concern with her standup is her incredibly short reach. But there's no question she poses some SERIOUS problems for Nunes.

Back