Social Amazon's LOTR Got Tokenized

GoldenWolf87

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
As long as it's good, I don't care.

But too many franchises that go this route end up sucking because the talent they choose is terrible.
As long as it's good
You need to start making more original characters not tokenizing on something that was once popuarl.
How well did that go for Ghostbusters 2016?

tokenizing, race swapping is not creating something new.

It will always be compared to the movies so it's doomed from the start

When I was younger and had more patience, I read those pre-qual "History" books... It was tough. It was like reading a history book instead of Fantasy Fiction. There's very details compared to the Hobbit and the LOTR.

There's going to be tons of leeway for narratives.

I doubt I'll watch it. They can do whatever they want, but it ruins the immersion when nations or races of people are mixed to reflect modern demographics. Populations should be homogenous and, if they want to include, for example, black people, they should be from a region than makes sense, not a temperate forest reflective of what exists in Britain.

I never watched the 2nd or 3rd Hobbit movies either because of how they let greed ruin it.

Anyway, hopefully this is just a phase that the medieval fantasy genre is going through.

bf49619b2a1cfbbf3da904c6572396745917804e70549b3ed8c8a58895c04f1a_1.jpg

When I was younger and had more patience, I read those pre-qual "History" books... It was tough. It was like reading a history book instead of Fantasy Fiction. There's very details compared to the Hobbit and the LOTR.

There's going to be tons of leeway for narratives.

Tons of leeway to fuck it up is all I'm hearing

I have little confidence this won't be some ghostbusters remake tier trash

It's fantasy, who cares. The only time this bothers me is when it's a historical story and they insert in ethnicities that don't make sense.

So I guess you wouldn't find it jarring if they added battle tanks, helicopters, and modern weaponry. Because that's more realistic than magic and it's fantasy, so who cares?

Even though it's fantasy, there are still things that our brain tests for congruence and tries to make sense of.

Last edited:
So I guess you wouldn't find it jarring if they added battle tanks, helicopters, and other modern machinery to medieval fantasy. Because it's more realistic than magic and it's fantasy, so who cares?

Even though it's fantasy, there are still things that are brain tries to make sense of.

Wouldn't that make it sci fi? There are actually some stories like that. Final Fantasy has done that.

fat genderqueer balrogs are breaching the gate, my king!
lmao

yeah, this sure serves the gravitas and seriousness the lore of the movies had.
massive flop incoming.

Wouldn't that make it sci fi? There are actually some stories like that. Final Fantasy has done that.

The entire setting and everything is different in those games though. I mean keep everything the same, but just add some random modern artillery. It would seem very out of place. Even if they wrote it into the story that Gimli smithed some brand new assault rifles for everyone.

Also, what works in a cartoon doesn't necessarily work with real life settings and people as our brains do not perform the same congruence tests with cartoons.

Last edited:
Who cares? Haven't we already seen that every TV show about a fantasy that doesn't strictly follow the narrative of the books, is putrid garbage? Remember the Game of Thrones TV show after they stopped copying GRRM's work? How bad the dialogue was, and the character arcs, and the story overall?

Nothing is going to save this.

Tolkien was a very good writer. Whoever's going to be writing this, is mediocre at best. The only way to make it work is if they borrow the material from Tolkien's writings, but obviously they're not going to be doing that. It's completely made-up BS that happens to reside in the middle of the world that Tolkien created.

What's the issue? They added a few non white actors, and predominantly kept them to new characters (Tolkien's works are more notes and broad history points than character driven stories anyway, should work out to be able to both stay true to the source and leave room for Director/Writer adaption) and the fantasy races anyways

It's not like they went and made Isildur's dad Asian or the Numerian race of men all African American

I'm also hopeful for the show in that they did all natural effects for the teaser trailer of the title, rather than CGIing it. Hoping that signifies a return to effort of filmaking with practical effects and just CGI background stuff, rather than a reliance of CGI for anything difficult

Yes I'm a nerd. No adding some black or chick characters won't ruin this for me. And I'm holding out hope the writing is up to the monumental task

As long as it's well written and produced, not that big of a deal. "Get woke, go broke" is a real thing and hopefully they are taking it into account with this show. Keep that annoying shit out of the show.

Back