Opinion America's National Park DM&R backlog balloons to over $22 billion, US Congress Proposes More Cuts

Vets in Canada get access to parks and can fish without a license.

Are you still tentatively planning on that Wyoming fishing trip in the future? If that is the primary purpose of the holiday vacation, you're going to get a hell of a lot more than you ever could've imagined.

Are you still tentatively planning on that Wyoming fishing trip in the future? If that is the primary purpose of the holiday vacation, you're going to get a hell of a lot more than you ever could've imagined.

Just looked at the first video. Wow! Unreal.

Will look at the second video later.

Yes, still planning a trip there. My wife and I are saving money for a trip of a lifetime. I was a big NFL fan and we were supposed to go to Wisconsin for a Packers' game and then go to Minnesota to fish and drive a tank, amongst other things, but I don't care much about football anymore so we changed our aim to natural wonders.

It will give also us give us a chance to head north afterward and see family in Western Canada.

"the agency is woefully understaffed with park rangers being paid like fast food workers."

Currently fast food workers on the west coast are being paid better than those rangers.

Federal minimum wage has been $7.25 an hour since 2009, $7.25 an hour is what I got paid as a high school student working at mcdonalds in 1997.
But it’s worth less now so you used to basically be rich.

The National Park System and Service deserve our tax money, our support and patronage. The parks, battlefields, historic sites and recreation areas. All of it.

<RomeroSalute>

HOW WE GONNA PAY FOR IT? 😭

Just looked at the first video. Wow! Unreal. Will look at the second video later. Yes, still planning a trip there. My wife and I are saving money for a trip of a lifetime. I was a big NFL fan and we were supposed to go to Wisconsin for a Packers' game and then go to Minnesota to fish and drive a tank, amongst other things, but I don't care much about football anymore

Oh, man. Fuck that. 🤣 Go West, young man. FWIW I'm definitely picking BIG WYO every time as a travel destination over punk ass Swede descendant Minnesota, much less goofy ass Wuhscahnsin (no offense @BFoe and @mkess101). 😅

Wyoming has the triple crown of possessing America's first national park, first national forest, and first national monument. The federal government owns half the state, and the other half is eerily desolate high plains. It's the least populous state and the most conservative with the highest amount of firearms per capita by a laughably insane margin. Oddly enough, it was also the first state that allowed women the right to vote and the first to elect a female governor. The I-80 is probably the most dangerous highway in the entire country (and not because of gun related crime).

so we changed our aim to natural wonders.

For my $$$: Yellowstone is not only the epitome of the Old West and American Frontier; it's the most hallowed ground and #1 destination in the entire country, the most unique place on the entire planet. It was the world's first national park and would be one of the world's greatest national parks for geothermal activity alone; its concentration and diversity of wildlife alone; its scenic beauty and landscapes of forests, canyons, valleys, meadows, lakes, rivers, and waterfalls alone.

It is the location of one of the world's largest supervolcanoes and has more active hydrothermal features (geysers, hot springs, mud pots, steamvents, travertine terraces) than the rest of the entire planet combined; the highest concentration of ungulates (bison, moose, elk, mule deer, pronghorn, big horn sheep), predators (grizzly bears, black bears, mountain lions, gray wolves) and birds of prey (bald eagles, golden eagles, ospreys, peregrine falcons) in the contiguous USA; the largest freshwater alpine lake above 7,000 feet in North America, the longest, most wild, and practically only undammed river left in America, with over 250 waterfalls across its 2.2 million acres to boot.

Grand Teton just south is really god damn pretty (and is actually part of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem); but then so is Glacier (in Montana). So is Banff (in Alberta). And so is, and so is, and so is in various countries and continents across the world. Yellowstone is straight up fucking unbelievable literally and figuratively, there is objectively no other place like it on Earth.

Decades of all out fire suppression on most public land created the tinder boxes that have lead to many of these devastating wildfires today. That can be remedied to an extent with thinning and and prescribed burns, both of which already happen in national forests, and many national parks. So you're wrong in saying they aren't maintained.

The problem is those techniques would need to be practiced on an exponentially larger scale and in some extremely rugged terrain to reach many of the areas with the highest potential for bad fires in public land out west. The Forest Service would need a huge boost in funding to hire the thousands of new front line employees to have any hope of accomplishing this. And that never happens.

But either way, it would have zero effect on the maintenance backlog in the National Park Service. They have completely separate budgets, as the Forest Service is part of the department of agriculture and the National Park Service is part of the department of interior.

The NPS also catches a lot of flak for things it isn't even responsible for. It's really amusing to scroll through reviews that give glowing five-star appraisals for the parks themselves along with the visitor centers, campgrounds, trails, ranger stations (and interpretative ranger talks) while excoriating the lodging, food, and retail services located within them, apparently unaware that those are run by private sector corporations.

There's always amusing, interesting, or oddball news coming from there.

DEATH VALLEY, Calif. – Swiss travelers braked suddenly to avoid hitting a tarantula crossing CA-190 east of Towne Pass in Death Valley National Park on the afternoon of October 28. A 24-year-old Canadian man on a motorcycle then crashed into the back of the Swiss couple’s rented camper van.

A National Park Service (NPS) ambulance transported the motorcyclist to Desert View Hospital in Pahrump.

The spider walked away unscathed.

“Please drive slowly, especially going down steep hills in the park,” said Superintendent Mike Reynolds, who was the first NPS employee on scene at the accident. “Our roads still have gravel patches due to flood damage, and wildlife of all sizes are out.”

{<jordan}

Always Informative.

Tarantulas spend most of their long lives in underground burrows. People see them most often in the fall, when 8- to 10-year-old male tarantulas leave their burrows to search for a mate. The female sometimes kills and eats him after mating. Even if she doesn’t kill him, the male tarantula rarely lives more than a few more months. However, female tarantulas can live for 25 years, mating multiple times.

Tarantulas are slow moving and nonaggressive. A tarantula’s bite is reported to be similar to a bee sting, and is not deadly to humans.

<mma4>

Thanks, NPS.

Oh, man. Fuck that. 🤣 Go West, young man. FWIW I'm definitely picking BIG WYO every time as a travel destination over punk ass Swede descendant Minnesota, much less goofy ass Wuhscahnsin (no offense @BFoe and @mkess101). 😅

Wyoming has the triple crown of possessing America's first national park, first national forest, and first national monument. The federal government owns half the state, and the other half is eerily desolate high plains. It's the least populous state and the most conservative with the highest amount of firearms per capita by a laughably insane margin. Oddly enough, it was also the first state that allowed women the right to vote and the first to elect a female governor. The I-80 is probably the most dangerous highway in the entire country (and not because of gun related crime).

For my $$$: Yellowstone is not only the epitome of the Old West and American Frontier; it's the most hallowed ground and #1 destination in the entire country, the most unique place on the entire planet. It was the world's first national park and would be one of the world's greatest national parks for geothermal activity alone; its concentration and diversity of wildlife alone; its scenic beauty and landscapes of forests, canyons, valleys, meadows, lakes, rivers, and waterfalls alone.

It is the location of one of the world's largest supervolcanoes and has more active hydrothermal features (geysers, hot springs, mud pots, steamvents, travertine terraces) than the rest of the entire planet combined; the highest concentration of ungulates (bison, moose, elk, mule deer, pronghorn, big horn sheep), predators (grizzly bears, black bears, mountain lions, gray wolves) and birds of prey (bald eagles, golden eagles, ospreys, peregrine falcons) in the contiguous USA; the largest freshwater alpine lake above 7,000 feet in North America, the longest, most wild, and practically only undammed river left in America, with over 250 waterfalls across its 2.2 million acres to boot.

Grand Teton just south is really god damn pretty (and is actually part of the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem); but then so is Glacier (in Montana). So is Banff (in Alberta). And so is, and so is, and so is in various countries and continents across the world. Yellowstone is straight up fucking unbelievable literally and figuratively, there is objectively no other place like it on Earth.

Living in WI is great but even I'd wonder why someone might choose to vacation here. Yellowstone might not be ideal either for some people, but if you have even a remote interest in the outdoors then there's no comparison, it's a bucket list destination.

Living in WI is great but even I'd wonder why someone might choose to vacation here. Yellowstone might not be ideal either for some people, but if you have even a remote interest in the outdoors then there's no comparison, it's a bucket list destination.

My first trip there as a kid I got to see a grizzly with two cubs in Lamar Valley and a nesting pair of bald eagles along the Madison River, pretty unforgettable and to say nothing of the hydrothermal features. I actually liked the mudpots more than the spewing geysers and kaleidoscopic hot springs as a little boy, lol...

The gray wolves had only recently been reintroduced at that time, and today the park is probably the best it has been in the last 150 years on a wildlife front thanks in large part to that decision. The wolves are the cornerstone and saved the ecosystem.

Last edited:
Maybe the one party state's radical ideas, policies, and environmental regulations will eventually yield some benefit to its natural spaces, but California looks cooked. There are so many things that contribute to this, not the least of which are absolutely massive coastal population centers that blow their toxic smog across the state, enormous agriculture and industrial operations up and down the central valley that do much of the same, numerous severe drought years since the turn of the century, and in turn extreme wildfire devastation. It makes sense that Joshua Tree makes the list given the proximity to LA and all of its garbage but Death Valley having pollution issues is fucked up, that shit isn't right.

Maybe the one party state's radical ideas, policies, and environmental regulations will eventually yield some benefit to its natural spaces, but California looks cooked. There are so many things that contribute to this, not the least of which are absolutely massive coastal population centers that blow their toxic smog across the state, enormous agriculture and industrial operations up and down the central valley that do much of the same, numerous severe drought years since the turn of the century, and in turn extreme wildfire devastation. It makes sense that Joshua Tree makes the list given the proximity to LA and all of its garbage but Death Valley having pollution issues is fucked up, that shit isn't right.

Most of them aren't surprising. White Sands is curious. I wonder why the air there is so bad/where the pollution is coming from.

01. Glacier (Montana)
02. Yellowstone (Wyoming)
03. Yosemite (California)
04. Grand Canyon (Arizona)
05. Grand Teton (Wyoming)
06. Zion (Utah)
07. Denali (Alaska)
08. Kenai Fjords (Alaska)
09. Bryce Canyon (Utah)
10. Redwood (California)
11. Arches (Utah)
12. Sequoia (California)
13. Olympic (Washington)
14. Hawai'i Volcanoes (Hawaii)
15. Mount Rainier (Washington)

Most of them aren't surprising. White Sands is curious. I wonder why the air there is so bad/where the pollution is coming from.

I often forget that place even exists, same for the Guadalupe Mountains. Texas is not my jam but uh, good for Texans and their proud culture stuff and power grids, I guess. I'm still absolutely baffled that my cousin and her husband gave up their ranch in Wyoming to go live over there. 🤣

01. Glacier (Montana)
02. Yellowstone (Wyoming)
03. Yosemite (California)
04. Grand Canyon (Arizona)
05. Grand Teton (Wyoming)
06. Zion (Utah)
07. Denali (Alaska)
08. Kenai Fjords (Alaska)
09. Bryce Canyon (Utah)
10. Redwood (California)
11. Arches (Utah)
12. Sequoia (California)
13. Olympic (Washington)
14. Hawai'i Volcanoes (Hawaii)
15. Mount Rainier (Washington)

I often forget that place even exists, same for the Guadalupe Mountains. Texas is not my jam but uh, good for Texans and their proud culture stuff and power grids, I guess. I'm still absolutely baffled that my cousin and her husband gave up their ranch in Wyoming to go live over there. 🤣

Great to see Redwood on there. Used to work there, and it is truly a hidden gem. No giant crowds, especially compared to the others on that list.

Last edited:
Great to see Redwood on there. Used to work there, and it is truly a hidden gem. No giant crowds, especially compared to the others on that list.

Not a single damn one east of the Rockies, lol.

Teton is such a Don.

I don't think too many people get up to Denali or Kenai, but point taken. Redwood isn't even among the top five most visited national parks in the state of California. It has always blown my mind that the SFO Bay Area in so-called 'Northern California' is like 350 miles south of RNSP. You can drive clear out to Albuquerque, New Mexico from LAX faster than it'll take you to get up to Crescent City. There are no lodging options in the park and it's all the better for it -- I wish they'd tear all that Xanterra and Delaware North shit down and out of Yellowstone.

The Utah parks have been getting slammed for the last decade, but that's what the state tourism board wanted when it launched the whole "Mighty Five" propaganda campaign in 2013. My desire to visit them is admittedly just so damn low, simply because Arizona already has enough orange and red sedimentary rocks. If I want a CO Plateau national park, I'll go to the fucking Grand Canyon okay. Please, funnel all the Chinese nationals up to Utah.

Just watched the second video on Yellowstone. JFC. What an amazing place.

Yeah. I realize we'll have a better experience there than in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Hey, what can I say. Interests change. I was such a big NFL fan. Now, I can't be bothered to watch a whole game.

I've been to Banff a few times and I loved it. I can't imagine how I'll feel when I visit Yellowstone. Fishing in Wyoming will be quite a blast too.

I was supposed to shoot many cool weapons (MG42, MP44, M1 Garand, etc.) in Minnesota. I must admit it's the only thing I'm a bit sad about not doing. You say Wyoming has the highest amount of firearms per capita. Do they have cool places to shoot guns?

Not a single damn one east of the Rockies, lol.

Teton is such a Don.

I don't think too many people get up to Denali or Kenai, but point taken. Redwood isn't even among the top five most visited national parks in the state of California. It has always blown my mind that the SFO Bay Area in so-called 'Northern California' is like 350 miles south of RNSP. You can drive clear out to Albuquerque, New Mexico from LAX faster than it'll take you to get up to Crescent City. There are no lodging options in the park and it's all the better for it -- I wish they'd tear all that Xanterra and Delaware North shit down and out of Yellowstone.

The Utah parks have been getting slammed for the last decade, but that's what the state tourism board wanted when it launched the whole "Mighty Five" propaganda campaign in 2013. My desire to visit them is admittedly just so damn low, simply because Arizona already has enough orange and red sedimentary rocks. If I want a CO Plateau national park, I'll go to the fucking Grand Canyon okay. Please, funnel all the Chinese nationals up to Utah.

Yea, Redwood is 5 hours from any major city. That has saved it from the hordes of people that a lot of the other parks get for now. But the Utah parks are pretty remote as well, and they ruined Zion and Arches with that tourism campaign. Crescent City has also started to attract rich San Fransicans looking to build vacation homes up there, which isn't great.

Still an awesome place. And I'd challenge anyone to name a more beautiful river in the lower 48 than the Smith. It is absolutely amazing.

Smith River

Yea, Redwood is 5 hours from any major city. That has saved it from the hordes of people that a lot of the other parks get for now. But the Utah parks are pretty remote as well, and they ruined Zion and Arches with that tourism campaign. Crescent City has also started to attract rich San Fransicans looking to build vacation homes up there, which isn't great.

Still an awesome place. And I'd challenge anyone to name a more beautiful river in the lower 48 than the Smith. It is absolutely amazing.

Smith River
Amazing picture.

Just watched the second video on Yellowstone. JFC. What an amazing place. I've been to Banff a few times and I loved it. I can't imagine how I'll feel when I visit Yellowstone. Fishing in Wyoming will be quite a blast too.

You should walk into the bedroom and very matter of fact-ly announce to your wife where the once in a lifetime holiday destination is going to be. 😅 But it looks like the NPS ranger in this thread is trying to sell you on Colliefornia instead. For all I detest about its politics, the place is admittedly - objectively - extraordinary. I just prefer Wyoming in part due to being an 89er state and growing up in that region of the country. NoDak, SoDak, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho comprise the Great American West, and all of them wrote or finalized their state constitutions in 1889. There's a familiarity in culture and way of life up to present day.

I promote the hell out of it to everyone I talk to on here - you, @Bald1, @ElKarlo (RIP), @Islam Imamate, @Mr Holmes, @Fox by the Sea, @Long Dark Blues, @Cole train...But aside from patches of badlands and oil fields on their western edges and mid-size cities like Fargo and Sioux Falls along the eastern borders, 90% of the land in both of the Dakotas is still devoted entirely to farming and ranching. They play a vital role in American agriculture; it's home and has a beauty of its own, but there is incredibly little to see or do from an outsider's tourist perspective. In fact, there is virtually nothing aside from the Black Hills National Forest area that spreads into Wyoming.

And BIG WYO is an entirely different animal, in more ways than you can shake a stick at. IMO, it's the only state in the union - at least in the contigious 48 - that can fuck with California for scenic beauty and natural wonders, and it does that despite being a landlocked state without any beaches or coastline to speak of. A road trip through there is the essence of vintage America for me. The contrasts are extreme: California has a population of 39 million (by far the largest in the country) and the most extreme left-wing politics in the nation; Wyoming has 584,000 local residents (easily the least in the country) and is the most politically conservative.

There's potentially an interesting thread to be made about all of this.

I was supposed to shoot many cool weapons (MG42, MP44, M1 Garand, etc.) in Minnesota. I must admit it's the only thing I'm a bit sad about not doing. You say Wyoming has the highest amount of firearms per capita. Do they have cool places to shoot guns?

<Dany07>

C'mon, bruh. Of course. You can find that in every gateway town outside any of Yellowstone's entrances, lol.

You should walk into the bedroom and very matter of fact-ly announce to your wife where the once in a lifetime holiday destination is going to be. 😅 But it looks like the NPS ranger in this thread is trying to sell you on Colliefornia instead. For all I detest about its politics, the place is admittedly - objectively - extraordinary. I just prefer Wyoming in part due to being an 89er state and growing up in that region of the country. NoDak, SoDak, Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho comprise the Great American West, and all of them wrote or finalized their state constitutions in 1889. There's a familiarity in culture and way of life up to present day.

I promote the hell out of it to everyone I talk to on here - you, @Bald1, @ElKarlo (RIP), @Islam Imamate, @Mr Holmes, @Fox by the Sea, @Long Dark Blues, @Cole train...But aside from patches of badlands and oil fields on their western edges and mid-size cities like Fargo and Sioux Falls along the eastern borders, 90% of the land in both of the Dakotas is still devoted entirely to farming and ranching. They play a vital role in American agriculture; it's home and has a beauty of its own, but there is incredibly little to see or do from an outsider's tourist perspective. In fact, there is virtually nothing aside from the Black Hills National Forest area that spreads into Wyoming.

And BIG WYO is an entirely different animal, in more ways than you can shake a stick at. IMO, it's the only state in the union - at least in the contigious 48 - that can fuck with California for scenic beauty and natural wonders, and it does that despite being a landlocked state without any beaches or coastline to speak of. A road trip through there is the essence of vintage America for me. The contrasts are extreme: California has a population of 39 million (by far the largest in the country) and the most extreme left-wing politics in the nation; Wyoming has 584,000 local residents (easily the least in the country) and is the most politically conservative.

There's potentially an interesting thread to be made about all of this.

<Dany07>

C'mon, bruh. Of course. You can find that in every gateway town outside any of Yellowstone's entrances, lol.

I'm not trying to sell one park over another, but I am a bit biased from having worked at Redwood. It also depends on what your looking for in your visit.

Yellowstone is unmatched in what it offers. A chance to see an incredible variety of large mammals up close, and geothermal features that you can't find anywhere else in the world. It is the most iconic national park in the US for good reason.

Redwood has the tallest tree in the entire world, a pristine river full of wildlife, and a rugged coastline that is it's own different kind of beauty.

I noted your point about the contrast between the states. All true. The irony is that if you're looking to avoid the crowds these days it's going to be tough in Yellowstone. The state may only have 500,000 people that live there, but the park gets millions of visitors. I believe somewhere around 5 million last I saw. Whereas Redwood gets somewhere in the 500,000 range each year and is much less crowded. Pretty crazy how that works, haha.

Go to both of you get the chance. You won't be disappointed.

Back